Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite craft beer bar.....Go!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

cibala wrote: »
    Blue moon

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

The Bartender in Dundalk. Great beers, great staff, great atmosphere

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The Bartender in Dundalk. Great beers, great staff, great atmosphere

+1

Spent half an hour in there but would love to be there for an evening. Nice open fires, great draught and bottle selection (including a few sours) and the staff are genuinely interested in the beer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Does the Brewdock have an off-license?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Does the Brewdock have an off-license?
    Every pub can sell beer to take away but it doesn't have a separate off licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Need to change my vote from Underdog to Alfie byrnes.

First time here tonight. Massively Impressed !!!

Any recommendations for Berlin lads ?? Heading over tomorrow for the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ianob7 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for Berlin lads ?? Heading over tomorrow for the weekend
    Hard to go wrong with Weihenstephaner, for some beer and pork-based products, but I liked Aufsturz, for it's run-down, local, casual feel.

Top tip: Whenever I'm heading away on holidays, I go to The Beer Nut's blog, and search for the city I'm going to. Don't tell him though. We don't want him to know we're using his blog as a travel guide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Never been but would like to check out Stone's place, looks impressive anyway

RasTa wrote:
    Never been but would like to check out Stone's place, looks impressive anyway

Booked in for Sunday :D

• Advertisement

Stone is most definitely worth the trip . It's a ridiculously good tour for €5

Eat before you go though.. food isn't great to be honest

Other than that it was excellent. We got great weather too so got to sit in the beer garden for a few hours with some tasty pints

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

Franciscan Well Brewery, Cork

Savage pizza!

Agree 100% - great outdoor garden too

L1011 wrote: »
    I quite like T O'Brennan's - decent range, decent size, decent staff, everything is nice and clean and new (faux-80s interior clearly isn't). Haven't been enough to decide for certain

Brew Dock was better with the staff from a few years ago.

Preferred it when it was called some girl's name

RasTa wrote: »
    Over in Manchester a few months. All the taprooms are warehouse based. Much better idea and hope it can take off in Dublin asap although not sure where they could go.

Check out all the empty warehouses round Grand Canal Dock - crying out for one there, the area is a real dead sport for craft. Used to have a great one in York (England) which you could get a boat down to - was class and always packed.

Good of you to go scouting for us in advance of our assault next weekend. :)
    I really liked Proeflokaal Arendsnest in Amsterdam, when I visited during my last trip to the Netherlands, so will like visit again on Monday-week on my way back to Schiphol.

Amsterdam Centraal, come out, look slightly right, risk life and limb crossing the roads/cycle tracks, second pub there does some mental beers and is as seedy as you like :-) Begins with P I think ?

Like Back Page, Phibsborough Road, good choice of beers, pizzas OK, and they are looking to get their own brewery (currently breewed under license).

Oh and crazy golf :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

thegeezer wrote: »
    Preferred it when it was called some girl's name

Brew Dock as Kates Cottage?

Most (not all, it'll never be all) former pub names in Dublin are trackable on the links in my sig

L1011 wrote: »
    Brew Dock as Kates Cottage?

Most (not all, it'll never be all) former pub names in Dublin are trackable on the links in my sig

Yep Kates Cottage - seems too formulaic standard board games, overpriced craft beers - like most Dublin craft beer pubs.

For them craft = excuse to charge massive priced for a new fad.

Whole idea of craft beers was to provide opposition to the cartels like diagio, however, it has now become excuse to charge waht they like.

Rant over - you can ban me now if you like :-(

thegeezer wrote: »
    Whole idea of craft beers was to provide opposition to the cartels like diagio, however, it has now become excuse to charge waht they like.
    Diageo and the rest of the industrial drinks cartel charge what they like and always have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Sling12

PMac's in town has a good selection. Thats if you can stand the heat in the place when its busy :eek::cool::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Rising Sons in Cork. Great pizzas as well as a cracking selection of beers.

Brewery Corner in Kilkenny (owned by O'Haras)

The Swagman in Sligo as well, rough and ready, but belter of a selection and huge beer garden.

For those mentioning Barcelona, last time I was over visited Barcelona Beer Company, Brewdog, Mikkeller and my favorite Garage Beer Co. No more than about 15 mins to walk between the lot.

If you get stuck in touristy hell, there's a tiny spot called Kaederkold just twenty paces off La Rambla, it looks tiny from the outside, but they have 16 rotating taps, and there is actually a seating area down the back that you can't see from the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Big fan of Headline Bar on Clanbrassil Street for some relaxed beers and so I can try out whatever Trouble Brewing are up to.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The Swagman in Sligo as well, rough and ready, but belter of a selection and huge beer garden.

For those mentioning Barcelona, last time I was over visited Barcelona Beer Company, Brewdog, Mikkeller and my favorite Garage Beer Co. No more than about 15 mins to walk between the lot.

If you get stuck in touristy hell, there's a tiny spot called Kaederkold just twenty paces off La Rambla, it looks tiny from the outside, but they have 16 rotating taps, and there is actually a seating area down the back that you can't see from the street.

Was only in the Swagman once but loved it, a proper pub with really good selection and great value too from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

I agree with this totally, also there is 4 euro difference in the price of mariage parfait in underdog and porterhouse temple bar. I take the porterhouse over underdog any day.

The PH are likely on a big group discount. Underdog only having 1 bar, are not. €4.00 seems steep but don't think it's fair to expect the same price. Groups will always get (demand) discounts that a (newish) single bar cannot get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

carrieb wrote: »
    I agree with this totally, also there is 4 euro difference in the price of mariage parfait in underdog and porterhouse temple bar. I take the porterhouse over underdog any day.

The PH are likely on a big group discount. Underdog only having 1 bar, are not. €4.00 seems steep but don't think it's fair to expect the same price. Groups will always get (demand) discounts that a (newish) single bar cannot get.
    They should still compete though, 20 or 30 cent on a beer like that then fair enough. 4 euro though? you can buy it in an off licence for 5.99, they are definitely buying it in for a lot less than than that say 4 euro(probably less) Which would be over 300% mark up at the price they were selling. 
    I feel the feck it sure its grand culture in Ireland is not doing us any favours with craft beer, for things like paying over the odds and not protesting by going to a different bar.
    Or with fresh beers, stone in usa take their beers off the shelf after 10 weeks. People just wont buy old IPAs, we will buy old beer here no problem. Freshness wont be constant unless we stop buying old beer.

• Advertisement

we will buy old beer here no problem. Freshness wont be constant unless we stop buying old beer.
    Where do you think the old beer will go if people don't buy it? The people buying old beer are subsidising the fresh ones available to you. The speciality beer market in Ireland is so small that if old beer just sat on shelves -- and tbh I think it already does to too great an extent -- the importers will stop bringing in fresh ones.

BeerNut wrote: »
    we will buy old beer here no problem. Freshness wont be constant unless we stop buying old beer.
    Where do you think the old beer will go if people don't buy it? The people buying old beer are subsidising the fresh ones available to you. The speciality beer market in Ireland is so small that if old beer just sat on shelves -- and tbh I think it already does to too great an extent -- the importers will stop bringing in fresh ones.
    There shouldn't be old beer, the beer should be brought in in smaller batches. There are places selling 18 month old IPAs. The same business model should be applied to beer as it is to meat fruit and vegetables. I don't think the specialty beer market is small anymore, not in the last few years.

There shouldn't be old beer, the beer should be brought in in smaller batches. There are places selling 18 month old IPAs. The same business model should be applied to beer as it is to meat fruit and vegetables. I don't think the specialty beer market is small anymore, not in the last few years.
    Four corners are doing a pretty good job, it has to be said. There are getting some fresh beers in small batches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

I visited Kaelderkold by chance, it was great..friendly spot.
    I tasted a lovely chocolate stout, cant remember which one..
    Wouldn't mind being there now !

I don't think the specialty beer market is small anymore, not in the last few years.
    Local independent beer is around 3%. From a look at a shelf in any shop you can see that imported craft beer is a fraction of that.
    Four corners are doing a pretty good job, it has to be said. There are getting some fresh beers in small batches.
    But also: https://twitter.com/thebeernut/status/992429787229687809

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was in Lilac today and there was a reduced shelf for short dated product. I was too enthralled by the wall of cans to bother with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GowlBagJohnson

Philly Grimes Waterford, Abbots Ale House Cork, Franciscan Well Cork, Fionn Barras Cork

I don't think the specialty beer market is small anymore, not in the last few years.
    Local independent beer is around 3%. From a look at a shelf in any shop you can see that imported craft beer is a fraction of that.
    But also: https://twitter.com/thebeernut/status/992429787229687809
    Even if it was 3% of the drinks market. In of all countries, thats still a big pie.

I'm loving the  cheap skull king. It still tastes amazing. Beavertown must have a great process for purging oxygen. No Irish beer tastes that fresh after that long in a can.

Freshness wont be constant unless we stop buying old beer.
    I'm loving the cheap skull king. It still tastes amazing.
    Whose side are you on? :D

Freshness wont be constant unless we stop buying old beer.
    I'm loving the cheap skull king. It still tastes amazing.
    Whose side are you on? :D
    :D
    I don't understand how that beer hasn't sold well. I wonder do beavertown put a 6 month BB on their cans. Its almost out of date and tastes very fresh. When Modus and Centennial are approaching their sell by date, they are dead.

People don't like paying over €6 for 330ml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

But too many televisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

People don't like paying over €6 for 330ml

True, but you’ll pay if the beer is worth it though.

OOnegative wrote: »
    True, but you’ll pay if the beer is worth it though.

How many times though? The expensive stuff I only buy once or twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

No you certainly wouldn’t sit all night drinking 330mls at €6, twice or three times tops but like most here I certainly don’t mind spending the money if the beer is worth it. Beerwulf here has Of Foam and Fury for €3.79 currently for a 330ml bottle which is considered pricey, i’ll be stocking up though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

3 Fonteinen Hommage was 48 euro a 0.75l bottle and is sold out from Drinkstore.

Niche market is always there. The pricier it gets the more niche it gets too.

In general people don't like paying at all. I prefer free beer too. But the dorkier/nerdier/affluent/niche'er, the more flexibility they have.

At 5 euro a pint I don't care so much about the taste - the Tuborg I had last nite tasted like fish but who cares. However if I spent 10 euro on a glass of Geuze I would need to be sure before buying that it's at least reputable and that I was confident that it would be great.

I bought Crooked Stave Hop Savant in a bottle twice.

Now they have it in cans for half the price. I buy it a lot. Sometimes the pricier beers get cheaper when they get popular. But a lot of the time they are beers you'd have very rarely. It's like when people buy 100 euro bottles of wine, rarely do they buy that stuff as a regular Friday bottle.

Different brews have different use cases

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere to discuss the price and freshness of craft beer but at least throw in a " favourite craft beer bar " where its drank ;):D

Oh yeah well how about this: https://loyallegionpdx.com/
    99 taps so you don't even have to think about whatever else might exist somewhere else :P

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

snowblind wrote: »
    99 taps so you don't even have to think about whatever else might exist somewhere else :P

Now were talkin

snowblind wrote: »
    I've been. It's nice, but you go to Portland to drink in breweries. Visiting a pub felt weird :p

I've been. It's nice, but you go to Portland to drink in breweries. Visiting a pub felt weird :p
    True! However it does save a lot of time if you pick top 5 breweries to go to and check out the other stuff in taprooms.

Actually my favourite beer serving place in PDX was Great Notion Brewing. I felt unworthy for the Blueberry Muffin Sour and Super Duper Ripe NETIPA

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Won't make it to Portland, but I'll be in Seattle next month. Anyone been anywhere that I should make a point of visiting?

https://www.apexbar.com/ is my favorite bar in PDX, a crazy amount of taps and they generally have all the Russian River stuff.
    I think its the only bar I've been in there that doesn't  serve food. I miss living in Portland. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

After a week in Copenhagen, Brus is definitely top of my list, but 1420 is fantastic - it's a lambic only bar, and they serve some of their beers from hand pumps. Makes for an interesting beer.

Advertisement