Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 222 Cyborg vs Kunitskaya Sat Mar 3rd Early Prelims 11:30pm

Options
  • 03-03-2018 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭

addd7Z1.png

Fairly terrible main event, never heard of Kunitskaya before. Main card not exactly earth-shattering overall. Interested to see the Edgar fight, Struve/Arlovski is pretty much 2 has-beens but still curious in a Ric Flair/Hulk Hogan 2009 Austrailia tour type way.

Can't imagine PPV numbers will be high, I'd say there are some nervous bean counters over at WME-IMG.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Kunitskaya was beaten fairly handily (in the second bout) by that Invicta bantamweight champion that Cyborg destroyed to win the belt. Based on that I can't see this being in any way competitive.

When did Mackenzie Dern get added to the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Porthallian

I'll stay up to watch Mike Pyle's retirement fight. Always liked him and seems like an absolute gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I'm probably in the minority but I think this is an excellent card. Two rising stars in O'Malley and Dern - UFC is crying out for new personalities and these two have potential. In saying that O'Malley is still very green and will do well to win his fight.

I must say, its been quite a few years since I became such a fan of a fighter, the way I'm a fan of Brian Ortega. He's up against it in a big way against Edgar though. This fight is a win win for the UFC. Should Frankie win, he's going into a title fight vs Holloway on one of the best runs of his career, whereas if Ortega wins, they have a fresh new young contender at 145 for the first time since McGregor was on the scene.

Ketlein Vieira v Zingano is a good female fight - Vieira won't be far from a title shot should she win tonight.

On the prelims - Munoz v Dodson is a good fight. Munoz is a bit of a dark horse in this division, he's only lost to Assuncao years ago and a split decision to Jimmy Rivera. Really pulling for him in this one, Dodson is an annoying little bollix

• Registered Users Posts: 29,635 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

War Cat! Big fan of hers, hope she can get a big win tonight. Ortega Edgar is such an interesting matchup, fan of both guys so happy for either to win and get a title shot. Joke of a main event.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    War Cat! Big fan of hers, hope she can get a big win tonight. Ortega Edgar is such an interesting matchup, fan of both guys so happy for either to win and get a title shot. Joke of a main event.

I'd like to see Ortega win. Edgar already got his title shot against Aldo at UFC 200 and got out claseed, I'd like to see some new blood come through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

another big ortega fan but I don't think he can handle frankie yet would really like to see someone new coming through also.
    Frankie pts looks pretty much nailed on surely?

main card looks pretty good bar the main event, rest of the card looks pretty solid also

would like to see dodson get his ass handed to him also :D

think viera might beat zingano also who's fought twice in three years.

also rooting for arlovski even tho I like both, aa a fairly big underdog...I think it's more even than the odds suggest.
    I hope dolloway wins also, no doubt lombard's gas tank will empty if he's taken past the first so dolloway round two or three my guess.

have a feeling caraway might be worth a stab also being an underdog given who he's faced in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Very meh card for me. Cybrog is a 1/20 favourite so I suppose there's a "how early can she finish it" element to her fight.

Interesting to see where Brian Ortega is in relation to the elite of the 145 division. Don't mind who wins that one as I was really looking forward to Max and Frankie so I'm fine with either facing Holloway when he comes back.

O'Malley is an exciting fighter but in no way should he be on the main card of a PPV. Still very green He's crying out to be a Fox prelim headliner to get eyes on him.

Arloski should have hung up the gloves after that Junior Albini win. Don't know what he's doing putting himself through more punishment he's not getting a title shot again he has to finish for his own health.

Jesus Joe is really rubbing in that whole Meisha getting pregnant by another man thing haha

One of the Judges that judged Canelo v GGG is judging on the Caraway fight and Rogan says "she must have got a ferrari for that fight" :D Rogan seems to be giving no ****s tonight haha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

One of the Judges that judged Canelo v GGG is judging on the Caraway fight and Rogan says "she must have got a ferrari for that fight" :D Rogan seems to be giving no ****s tonight haha

Rogan: She's a nice lady though... My mom's a nice lady too but I wouldn't want her judging a fight.

Rogan on form tonight

• Advertisement

Jesus Joe is really rubbing in that whole Meisha getting pregnant by another man thing haha

I wasn't watching the fight pass prelims, but jesus if he did mention that..... Very unnecessary, real lack of respect for Caraway tbh, imagine all his family and friends sitting watching that fight and then to be reminded of that. Not to mention when caraway watches the fight back himself.

dulux99 wrote: »
    I wasn't watching the fight pass prelims, but jesus if he did mention that..... Very unnecessary, real lack of respect for Caraway tbh, imagine all his family and friends sitting watching that fight and then to be reminded of that. Not to mention when caraway watches the fight back himself.

Yeah, I think rogan might be toking too much before he commentates.

Mike Pyles first fight was against Rampage :O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Felt sad for Mike Pyle, but that's how it goes!

Cb finished

• Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Blatantly hit after the hooter

Lombard has always been a bit of a scut. Crazy to see Herb Dean trying to talk the ref out of the DQ call there, wtf like.

As if I didn't want to see lombard lose bad enough beforehand....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Rotten dirty shot, you can see it on his face , total malice. I wonder why this didn't happen for Holly Holm when she was hit after the bell though?

Bring back Paul Daley to fight Lombard next.

Keep sounding the horn and let them belt each other!!

• Advertisement

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Rotten dirty shot, you can see it on his face , total malice. I wonder why this didn't happen for Holly Holm when she was hit after the bell though?

Because 99% of the time in MMA cheating goes unpunished. Sad but true. Good to see the ref there sticking to his guns and making the correct call. You could see on Lombards face he knew well the bell had gone and didn't give two sh*ts

Also, tbh, the fact that CB clearly couldnt continue makes a big difference. Ref was forced into it I suppose.

more I see lombard the more I want him to lose..it's like palhares x3 at this stage

mailburner wrote: »
    more I see lombard the more I want him to lose..it's like palhares x3 at this stage

Getting lots of bang for your buck recently then - that's 5 losses in a row for him! Mad to think he was seen as the next big challenge for Anderson Silva when he first got brought over

Was it the refs fault? But this means you may as well keep swinging until the ref comes in

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/970109513578643460

DXaFQXiUMAEXKJw.jpg

Getting lots of bang for your buck recently then - that's 5 losses in a row for him! Mad to think he was seen as the next big challenge for Anderson Silva when he first got brought over

even sweeter when you keep backing against him (smith) and again tonight .
    Thought the magny win was a fluke, maybe not...he did look a very dangerous opponent at one stage bar the gas tank and with such a winning streak but
    against inferior opponents I guess.

C.B. Dollaway - to win by KO,TKO or Disqualification
    Odds: 4/1

never had a win by dq before

I'll have a nice sweat if dodson loses on pts here (Soukhamthath pts) and I really hope he does....probably a pts win for either fighter there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

It really is like two of the munchkins from the wizard of oz having a scrap.

Really looking forward to ortega v edgar later. Great night of fights with this on and wildey v ortiz later in the boxing.

mailburner wrote: »
    even sweeter when you keep backing against him (smith) and again tonight .
    Thought the magny win was a fluke, maybe not...

C.B. Dollaway - to win by KO,TKO or Disqualification
    Odds: 4/1

never had a win by dq before

I'll have a nice sweat if dodson loses on pts here (Soukhamthath pts) and I really hope he does....probably a pts win for either fighter there.

(I hope this doesn't qualify for after timing) but I also had CB backed - got a bit of a hand of God there I feel as lots of refs would have bottled it. I have him tripled up with Soukhamtath (surprised to see him drift to 11/10) and Frankie

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ouch

(I hope this doesn't qualify for after timing) but I also had CB backed - got a bit of a hand of God there I feel as lots of refs would have bottled it. I have him tripled up with Soukhamtath (surprised to see him drift to 11/10) and Frankie

same as, that price surprised me.
    I don't fancy o malley at all, like you said very green and I think he'll struggle tonite and that the prices are wrong.

• Advertisement

Ok, if you kick him in the bollix a THIRD time then I'll think about punishing you, maybe.

Advertisement