Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this rust normal or too much? Advice for buying a used bike

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 FEid

IMO..and i'm no expert, but i reckon those downpipes are fcuked, much more than surface rust and those studs are too badly corroded to touch...maybe the reason he's selling....

Sounds just a little overkill wouldn't you think?

Goose81 wrote: »
    There is no way the nuts and studs will be ****ed on a bike so young, the rust is just surface rust. One you buy it undo the nuts and put copper grease on them just in case for future

Is this a private sale or garage? If it's a private sale don't be surprised if he tells you to go jump, if someone tried to haggle me on rusted headers that's the response they would get.

It is a private sale, and I think it's already a good price. Exactly what you said, I feel like haggling for the headers might push him away...

Instead of just throwing in a possible problem I could have added a possible solution.
    Explain your concern to the seller. Ask him if he or a mechanic can check that the nuts are free and studs in good nick.
    A mechanic could give the bike a check over too. Any reasonable seller would agree to a buyer getting it checked. Wouldn't they?
    If the headers are your only concern it seems a pity to pass up an otherwise good bike. Small cost involved but could be worth it.

Might not be a bad shout. My mechanic said he'd look over it for me if I bring it over after sale, might see if he'd be up to taking it there himself presale. Only thing is I'm not hopeful as for him its a bit of a trek from his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

FEid wrote: »
    IMO..and i'm no expert, but i reckon those downpipes are fcuked, much more than surface rust and those studs are too badly corroded to touch...maybe the reason he's selling....

Fair enough...let us know how he get on with it.....;)

Fair enough...let us know how ye get on with it.....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you buy it get a big bottle of ACF 50 and after washing it down a few times and copper greasing the studs to the head apply the ACF all over the engine and fasteners anywhere you see white corrosion starting.
    If you do this it will hold the corrosion at bay for a lot longer.
    I can see paint flaking off the waterpump already so preventative maintenance is a good thing.
    There is a guy who does a bike valet and ACF treatment in Dublin AFAIK so it might be worth budgeting for that, its money well spent when it holds the bike finish through winter and into spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Goose81

No offense but no expert exactly. Neither am I but I have a fair idea of most things on bikes and that sounds ridiculous. Rusted headers, Jesus you'd swear the motor has shot a ring. Who cares if the headers have a bit of rust, lad is never going to touch them anyway unless he wants more performance in which case he would buy a better bike instead of sticking new pipes on it.

So what if the studs were corroded? Swap them out for new ones, takes a few hours. Anyway they aren't shot, that's not possible on a few years old bike.

It is a private sale, and I think it's already a good price. Exactly what you said, I feel like haggling for the headers might push him away...

Mate if it's in Dublin and you want some one to give the bike a once over pm me and I'll meet you

Fair enough...let us know how he get on with it.....;)

I'm sure he will get on absolutely fine with his slightly rusted headers.

Mate if it's in Dublin and you want some one to give the bike a once over pm me and I'll meet you

Why waste your time....bike is mint but for his worry over the pipes....:p
    I'm sure he will get on absolutely fine with his slightly rusted headers.

Youre right (as usual:p) its the poor bastard that has to change them for him....i've had 30 yo bikes with better looking studs.....youre forgetting these things dont get better if not addressed...

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If you buy it get a big bottle of ACF 50 and after washing it down a few times and copper greasing the studs to the head apply the ACF all over the engine and fasteners anywhere you see white corrosion starting.
    If you do this it will hold the corrosion at bay for a lot longer.
    I can see paint flaking off the waterpump already so preventative maintenance is a good thing.
    There is a guy who does a bike valet and ACF treatment in Dublin AFAIK so it might be worth budgeting for that, its money well spent when it holds the bike finish through winter and into spring.

I'll have a look at that, ACF sounds like a good shout!

I'll keep it in mind dude, thanks a lot for the offer :)

Why waste your time....bike is mint but for his worry over the pipes....:p

Youre right (as usual:p) its the poor bastard that has to change them for him....i've had 30 yo bikes with better looking studs.....youre forgetting these things dont get better if not addressed...

Yeah like I'm planning to give them a good scrub down and spray if I do end up getting it, not something I want to keep and allow to get worse

Yeah like I'm planning to give them a good scrub down and spray if I do end up getting it, not something I want to keep and allow to get worse

Deffo......if poss replace the nuts asap with copper ones..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cienciano wrote: »

Definitely gonna give that a shot, cheers madude

State of the bike lad....exhausts are the least issue on that bike..those SS pipes would come up the same in 5 years..soap and water would do the same job...

So you got the bike then..??

State of the bike lad....exhausts are the least issue on that bike..those SS pipes would come up the same in 5 years..soap and water would do the same job...

So you got the bike then..??

I did end up getting it, had to make a decision and took it. I've only had it a day to be honest and I really do like it. Got my mechanic to take a 2nd look and he says that he wouldn't worry about the exhaust its mostly cosmetic, but to replace the bolts as soon as possible in case they seize. Will get on that maybe during the week. Hopefully not seized already...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Well wear pal!

If you do intend to tackle the bolts sooner rather than later, give them a scrub now in advance and treat them with penetrating oil a few times over the next few days, make sure your wrench has plenty of leverage, you could use a pipe to extend it too. If it all goes well you might find they're fine but it will certainly make changing them easier, add some copper grease to the thread if you decide they're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Definitely gonna give that a shot, cheers madude

Mine came up with a great finish after I did them. I used autosol afterwards, but they were clean after the harpic. Just use loads of water to make sure you get all the harpic off when you're finished, it contains shít that you don't want to leave on your bike long term.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Well wear pal!

If you do intend to tackle the bolts sooner rather than later, give them a scrub now in advance and treat them with penetrating oil a few times over the next few days, make sure your wrench has plenty of leverage, you could use a pipe to extend it too. If it all goes well you might find they're fine but it will certainly make changing them easier, add some copper grease to the thread if you decide they're ok.

That sounds like a plan, the WD40 is locked and loaded :)

Mine came up with a great finish after I did them. I used autosol afterwards, but they were clean after the harpic. Just use loads of water to make sure you get all the harpic off when you're finished, it contains shít that you don't want to leave on your bike long term.

I can imagine, especially once it starts up and it starts burning, must not be the most pleasent of odours

If you want good value pipe polish try Dealz and look out for their oven and cookware cleaner in a blue tub.
    Its pretty amazing stuff.

If you want good value pipe polish try Dealz and look out for their oven and cookware cleaner in a blue tub.
    Its pretty amazing stuff.

Dealz oven and cookware cleaner for exhaust pipes, who woulda thought?

Not me, I saw it on another forum used for classic bike resto's It's mildly abrasive and has some element of bleach as well I think.
    Anyway for 1.50 or so its cheap, you could always clean your oven afterwards as well:D

Not me, I saw it on another forum used for classic bike resto's It's mildly abrasive and has some element of bleach as well I think.
    Anyway for 1.50 or so its cheap, you could always clean your oven afterwards as well:D

The things one would pull out of their oven if they dove into it, dont even wanna think about it:D

Ya mean give it to the missus.....:)

Careful you might get jumped by the feminists

Careful you might get jumped by the feminists

Too busy watchin Corrie.....:)

I'll get me coat...

• Advertisement
Advertisement