Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this rust normal or too much? Advice for buying a used bike

Options
  • 02-03-2018 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey guys, hope everyones staying wrapped up and warm in this crap going on outside. Before the storm started, I went to view this used bike I was very interested in. It's a 1.5 year old MT03, with only around 8k Kms on the clock, so basically in new condition. Bike is wonderful to look at, and I've done all of my basic checks (brakes, forks, suspension, lights and electrics, brake fluid and oil level, chain lube and tension) and all seems to be fine. 3000 km since last service at 5k, and bike still taxed and under manufacturers warranty for another few months till july. The one and only issue I've seen on it that I didn't like was the substantial amount of rust on the headers for 1.5 year old bike. Now this could be the fact that I've never ridden this class of bike before and maybe the headers are normal to rust this way, but thought I'd ask what you guys think. Here is a picture of em:
    https://imgur.com/K47BH3Y

Thanks and stay safe!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

That's a savage amount of corrosion in general...looks 5 years old and not looked after imo...is it an import..?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 FEid

That's a savage amount of corrosion in general...looks 5 years old and not looked after imo...is it an import..?

It is not. Bought brand new by the current owner July 2016 from megabikes. I took the VIN and called the dealer to see what it has been through, and they say the owner has been really good with servicing and has a load of extras fitted by them. They say it's been through nothing and is clean as of last service. I realize its been used in all conditions during the 1.5 years but it feels a bit much for the time frame. Could it be a warranty covered issue or is that asking for much? Here are a couple snaps from the bike.

https://imgur.com/a/8InF6

https://imgur.com/a/jFleX

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The guy must work at a salt mine. That's pretty shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats pretty normal for a bike that has been ridden all year round, the fasteners are pretty chalky as well which would indicate a certain level of corrosion.
    The Yamaha's built in Italy are always a bit more prone to corrosion than the Japanese ones.

cantdecide wrote: »
    The guy must work at a salt mine. That's pretty shocking.

I know right? and as far as the owner and service history as well as general condition of everything else tells me he's taken care of it. Other than the headers everything is literally shiny like.... I just dunno why

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Thats pretty normal for a bike that has been ridden all year round, the fasteners are pretty chalky as well which would indicate a certain level of corrosion.
    The Yamaha's built in Italy are always a bit more prone to corrosion than the Japanese ones.

Even when it's still this young? I suppose our salty winter roads really do take their toll quickly?

FEid wrote: »
    Even when it's still this young? I suppose our salty winter roads really do take their toll quickly?

The headers are mild steel, bikes run hot these days with lean mixtures for emissions.
    Couple that with salty spray from the front wheel and lack of washing and you get rust in a very short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Goose81

Hey guys, hope everyones staying wrapped up and warm in this crap going on outside. Before the storm started, I went to view this used bike I was very interested in. It's a 1.5 year old MT03, with only around 8k Kms on the clock, so basically in new condition. Bike is wonderful to look at, and I've done all of my basic checks (brakes, forks, suspension, lights and electrics, brake fluid and oil level, chain lube and tension) and all seems to be fine. 3000 km since last service at 5k, and bike still taxed and under manufacturers warranty for another few months till july. The one and only issue I've seen on it that I didn't like was the substantial amount of rust on the headers for 1.5 year old bike. Now this could be the fact that I've never ridden this class of bike before and maybe the headers are normal to rust this way, but thought I'd ask what you guys think. Here is a picture of em:
    https://imgur.com/K47BH3Y

Thanks and stay safe!

It's fine and completely normal on our roads.

So what if they rust you can pick up a used set for about 80 quid online if you need

Constantly heating, salt and water leave headers looking like crap no matter how old the bike

I'd buy the bike if you like it mate

All the rust from the pics is surface corrosion, if you were bothered a wire brush on a drill would have it off in 10 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

This is easily sorted with some autosol and some elbow grease. They will be spanking. The only thing is, if I was selling the bike I would have done it myself before showing it. If everything else is ok and it has a decent service history I don't see a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Easily sorted, and some would [rightly] say that its bad for a newish bike.

But the built quality of the whole MT range is awful, that and an owner who won't stay on top of regular cleaning [hope my son is reading this, won't clean his bike for love 'nor money, so dad does it] ~ I'd expect this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Easy to paint or replace the header pipes. My concern would be the condition of the studs. Are the nuts seized, could you be facing a sheared stud?
    Which reminds me of an overdue job .. cleaning and Copperslip-ing my own header studs.

Goose81 wrote: »
    It's fine and completely normal on our roads.

So what if they rust you can pick up a used set for about 80 quid online if you need

Constantly heating, salt and water leave headers looking like crap no matter how old the bike

I'd buy the bike if you like it mate

All the rust from the pics is surface corrosion, if you were bothered a wire brush on a drill would have it off in 10 seconds

Yeah that does sound right. I suppose I'm thinking more of the fact that my little GN125 did not look that bad despite being the same age. Then again the GN exhaust is literally the most prominent feature and maybe its actually made of better materials? Be surprising considering the price difference between a premium Yamaha MT and a budget GN125 wouldn't you think?

zubair wrote: »
    This is easily sorted with some autosol and some elbow grease. They will be spanking. The only thing is, if I was selling the bike I would have done it myself before showing it. If everything else is ok and it has a decent service history I don't see a problem.

I'm with you on that. I suppose he is a slightly older dude who has a long hours job and doesn't seem to have the time or the willpower to sit down and start scrubbing bikes down. It was literally taken to the dealer for every nook and cranny, which is never a bad thing when buying used.

Easily sorted, and some would [rightly] say that its bad for a newish bike.

But the built quality of the whole MT range is awful, that and an owner who won't stay on top of regular cleaning [hope my son is reading this, won't clean his bike for love 'nor money, so dad does it] ~ I'd expect this.

Ah I'd say don't bother cleaning it for a bit, let him see how bad it can get and he can pay for a replacement exhaust, that'll teach him :p:p

Anyway, do you know for a fact that the build quality is awful? By that do you mean rust or is it gonna snap in an accident? Not to sound worried but I am getting this bike as a replacement for a bad crash and not really looking for something that's gonna start falling apart?

Easy to paint or replace the header pipes. My concern would be the condition of the studs. Are the nuts seized, could you be facing a sheared stud?
    Which reminds me of an overdue job .. cleaning and Copperslip-ing my own header studs.

Whether the nuts are seized or not is something that remains to be seen when work is being done on it I suppose. I mean they that whole section does have a fair bit of corrosion, but I'm hoping that doesn't mean that the nuts are ****ed as well cuz that suddenly makes matters worse. I have my doubts of it being THAT bad under the surface in a year and a half, but then again it shouldn't look like this after a year and a half......hmmmmm decisions decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Clean them with harpic max 10, then a very handy going over with autosol. Minimal elbow grease required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ah I'd say don't bother cleaning it for a bit, let him see how bad it can get and he can pay for a replacement exhaust, that'll teach him :p:p

He's loaded, it wouldn't bother him.

Anyway, do you know for a fact that the build quality is awful? By that do you mean rust or is it gonna snap in an accident? Not to sound worried but I am getting this bike as a replacement for a bad crash and not really looking for something that's gonna start falling apart?

Just my opinion, don't take it as gospel.

When my son was starting out we looked at buying a new MT-07 and couldn't believe how cheap and nasty the plastics and paint/graphics was. I looked at the MT01 and MT10 with a view to us both having Yamaha MT's but I was disappointed at those too.

That said the MT03 was the nicer of the lot!.

Take my opinion with a pinch of salt and enjoy the new bike :D

See if you can use this to get the price down but either way these can be as good as new in less than hour with a bit of a polish. Its just surface corrosion, it would take 20 years for them to rot through. Ive cleaned downpipes that looked worse on much older bikes plenty of times. Doesn't matter if the bolts are seized unless you're taking them off and why would you be doing that. I would definitely chance my arm at getting the price down as it's a genuine concern for you or the dealer should clean them for you if he's not willing to drop the price.

He's loaded, it wouldn't bother him.

Just my opinion, don't take it as gospel.

When my son was starting out we looked at buying a new MT-07 and couldn't believe how cheap and nasty the plastics and paint/graphics was. I looked at the MT01 and MT10 with a view to us both having Yamaha MT's but I was disappointed at those too.

That said the MT03 was the nicer of the lot!.

Take my opinion with a pinch of salt and enjoy the new bike :D

Like to be honest, the way it's looking for me so far, my options seem to be this or back to the 125. what do you think :D:D:D

See if you can use this to get the price down but either way these can be as good as new in less than hour with a bit of a polish. Its just surface corrosion, it would take 20 years for them to rot through. Ive cleaned downpipes that looked worse on much older bikes plenty of times. Doesn't matter if the bolts are seized unless you're taking them off and why would you be doing that. I would definitely chance my arm at getting the price down as it's a genuine concern for you or the dealer should clean them for you if he's not willing to drop the price.

Yeah if it was from a dealer I would definitely be putting up a bit more of a fight. It is a private seller who bought it brand new from the dealer 1.5 years ago, and he's already willing to let it go for quite a good price really, including a few nice extras. Other than the exhaust bike has barely ran and looks great. I'd say if I try and bargain him even more he'll just shoot me or something:D:D still probably no harm in trying a bit, I was so happy till I called liberty and they hit me with the substantial insurance switch cost the *****...

• Advertisement

Like to be honest, the way it's looking for me so far, my options seem to be this or back to the 125. what do you think :D:D:D

Have you totally discounted the Honda CBF?

Tbh I went for a few CBF viewings, and I just didn't really like what I saw. One had corroded all across the engine and bolts and brackets and just looked tired. Didn't really like how long the cold start took as well.

2nd one was better, but I noticed that there was oil on one of the forks which means a seal problem that I cannot be arsed for.

3rd one was pretty good, buy guy was selling it for not so much less than this, and this one is 9 years younger.
    I think with my current college schedule and part time work and all that I just really am not ready for buying something used and have it give me occasional mechanical issues that render the bike out of commission for a few days. Newer is more expensive but in most cases you buy with a little more peace of mind. I dont think id mind a cb500f but again the newer ones are quite more expensive and insurance costs are higher still....

Or the restricted A!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yes, Spanish-built Honda's suffer similarly, e.g. Deauvilles.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Whether the nuts are seized or not is something that remains to be seen when work is being done on it I suppose. I mean they that whole section does have a fair bit of corrosion, but I'm hoping that doesn't mean that the nuts are ****ed as well cuz that suddenly makes matters worse. I have my doubts of it being THAT bad under the surface in a year and a half, but then again it shouldn't look like this after a year and a half......hmmmmm decisions decisions...

Instead of just throwing in a possible problem I could have added a possible solution.
    Explain your concern to the seller. Ask him if he or a mechanic can check that the nuts are free and studs in good nick.
    A mechanic could give the bike a check over too. Any reasonable seller would agree to a buyer getting it checked. Wouldn't they?
    If the headers are your only concern it seems a pity to pass up an otherwise good bike. Small cost involved but could be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Goose81

There is no way the nuts and studs will be ****ed on a bike so young, the rust is just surface rust. One you buy it undo the nuts and put copper grease on them just in case for future

Is this a private sale or garage? If it's a private sale don't be surprised if he tells you to go jump, if someone tried to haggle me on rusted headers that's the response they would get.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Scouring pad(like the one below) would get those exhausts in good nick I reckon.
    Buy a can of Silkolene Silkopen and go over every nut and bolt.
    And finally, just keep on top of that kind of thing.

ofcy93.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

IMO..and i'm no expert, but i reckon those downpipes are fcuked, much more than surface rust and those studs are too badly corroded to touch...maybe the reason he's selling....

IMO..and i'm no expert, but i reckon those downpipes are fcuked, much more than surface rust and those studs are too badly corroded to touch...maybe the reason he's selling....

You're mad!

• Advertisement

Or the restricted A!?

Not that it was disregarded, but I went to see this bike and (disregarding the headers) just really really liked it, and the price is very reasonable for the age and mileage. It's also just good for what I need and doesn't have much of a fuel consumption difference. An inline 4 would be wonderful, but just that taad bit over what I need. Plus, I MAY (not excited for this) be getting my brother to be insured on this bike, and his insurance starting off on an inline 4 would be astronomical :D:D

Advertisement