Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cricket World Cup Qualifiers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Apt that McCarthy gets punted for a boundary in the last ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

It would have been great to qualify, but i would have felt a bit hollow after the performances against WI and Zim. Feel very sorry for Scotland in all of this. Delighted one of the former associates managed to split the established order. It further makes the case that the reduction in teams was the wrong move.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think 250 might well have won that for us, seemed to be well within our compass but never pushed on at any stage with the bat, until KOB late on at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

That's it. Unfortunately for Ireland, poor performances in the big games they needed to win, cost them. Backward step, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Pity that but didn't set a decent target

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Well deserved. Heroic stuff from their captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,014 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ireland just don't have it any more need younger players coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

And unfollow....

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

It's the hope that ... ah balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I don't think we threw it away, we were just beaten by a better side on the day, simple as that

We were beaten by the better team, but that 15 run over was giving a sucker an even break. Stankzai held it together well for Afg and scored when they needed to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,507 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I think 250 might well have won that for us, seemed to be well within our compass but never pushed on at any stage with the bat, until KOB late on at least.

230 even might well have been enough

Disappointed of course, but also really enjoyed the tournament. Probably the craziest i've seen for some time, in any sport...good sides beating bad, bad sides beating good, collapses all over the place. We were looking good, then we were gone, then we were back in it...and then we were gone again. Think it's time to get the old blood pressure checked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I still say take your pick between the Stirling run-out and the McCarthy drop of the Shahzad caught and bowled chance, flip the script on either of those ... :(

10 team World Cup my arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

We are witnessing an end of an era regarding our Irish cricket team. Porterfield, O'Brien brothers, Joyce, Murtagh all in their mid 30's. The same players that starred in 2007 WC in the Caribbean when we beat Pakistan are still there today. Serious questions must be asked by our limp batting display and the coach must take full responsibility. A root and branch review of this tournament must take place asap. Simi Singh was outstanding in the last 2 matches including today, why did he not play more in the earlier matches? Finally best of luck to Afghanistan in the WC, they took their chance and grabbed it. No complaints. The best side won on the day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Afghanistan probably have a better chance of getting a win at the World Cup than we would have, they already beat the Windies and came so close against Zimbabwe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭VillaMad

I would say congratulations to Afghanistan but really it should be Scotland going through. Afghanistan really should have been knocked out in the earlier phase only for a 15 year old from Nepal to help them out to get through. Still, they got the breaks and they qualify and they should give a decent account of themselves if they can find another batsman's or two.

As for ourselves, we were never anything other than average throughout the tournament and even if we had squeaked out a victory today, it was only ever papering over cracks that this team is well past its best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Will be good to see Rashid Khan at the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

Porterfield looks devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

3 games we lost were all to teams ahead of us in the rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I know it's academic now, but surely the following statement in Wiki is incorrect:

"Tournament hosts Zimbabwe lost their final match in the Super Sixes to the United Arab Emirates, meaning they would need Afghanistan and Ireland's match to end as tie to allow them to progress to the Cricket World Cup."

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    I know it's academic now, but surely the following statement in Wiki is incorrect:

"Tournament hosts Zimbabwe lost their final match in the Super Sixes to the United Arab Emirates, meaning they would need Afghanistan and Ireland's match to end as tie to allow them to progress to the Cricket World Cup."

Dont fully understand the maths, but there was some scenario involving a low scoring tie in todays match that would have put Zimbabwe through. So it's technically correct at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Rikand wrote: »
    3 games we lost were all to teams ahead of us in the rankings.

Not sure if we ever really in that game today after the slowish start, even though they threw us a sort of lifeline. As a punter, not convinced about Porterfield's batting or captaincy decisions.

We had WI and ZIM both in trouble in the early part of their innings and were unable to press home any advantage.

Would have been great if both us and Scotland had qualified and they probably deserved it more but fair enough result for our team.

How Porterfield has held the captaincy this long is a bit mad, captain for life basically

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

We are witnessing an end of an era regarding our Irish cricket team. Porterfield, O'Brien brothers, Joyce, Murtagh all in their mid 30's. The same players that starred in 2007 WC in the Caribbean when we beat Pakistan are still there today.

Only Porterfield, the 2 O'Briens and Rankin played against Pakistan and nobody else was in the squad either. Porterfield, Kevin and Rankin were all only 22 then so as easy to argue it was good they were identified and in the side young enough. Niall was 25 and the one now very much nearing the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

minitrue wrote: »
    Only Porterfield, the 2 O'Briens and Rankin played against Pakistan and nobody else was in the squad either. Porterfield, Kevin and Rankin were all only 22 then so as easy to argue it was good they were identified and in the side young enough. Niall was 25 and the one now very much nearing the end.

Correct. Joyce played for England while Eoin Morgan played for Ireland in 2007. Still though we are an aging team although the lack of conveyor belt meant that we could not try young guns out as they are not out there. Structures in Irish cricket needs massive overhaul or rethink as the status quo is simply not working.

Finally where was Peter Chase? Was he injured? Or is he just not making much of an inpression for Graham Ford and co?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Correct. Joyce played for England while Eoin Morgan played for Ireland in 2007. Still though we are an aging team although the lack of conveyor belt meant that we could not try young guns out as they are not out there. Structures in Irish cricket needs massive overhaul or rethink as the status quo is simply not working.

Finally where was Peter Chase? Was he injured? Or is he just not making much of an inpression for Graham Ford and co?

I wouldn't know alot about cricket, but I get the impression that not much was done to capitalise on the successes of recent years. No new clubs formed, therefore no substantial pool of promising youngsters, therefore same old getting older. I'm sure there are immigrants from India, South Africa etc. around the country crying out for an opportunuity to play cricket but with no club nearby.

P.S. As an irrelevant aside, congratulations, Claregaafan on spelling aging correctly. I can't remember the last time I saw anything other than ageing in print, by journalists too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Grassroots cricket has not improved much, not been invested in much maybe I should say, particularly beyond Dublin.

No complaints about today, I think 240 would have made it interesting but certainly not safe. The teams are not that far apart really and a couple of moments went the other way who knows. The Afghans deserve to win and I wish them luck in the tournament.

Mention for Phil Simmons, I believe this is the 4th nation he will be taking to the WC? Great achievement.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

It's the end of an era indeed. Test cricket is probably coming too late for us. Joyce is 39, NO'B 36, KO'B 34, Murtagh 36, Porterfield 33, Rankin 33 and all probably past their best. We'd get smashed if we played an actual test match against an Australia or an India. At the same time if we don't get test status we're never going to stop losing the best players that we produce.

Is it time to start a new cycle? Stirling is 27, Singh 31, Dockrell 25. Wilson 32. They're gonna be around for the next world cup cycle at least maybe we can regroup and have a good go at qualifying next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Now is the time to clean out and bring the younger guys through. We`ve lived too long on wins against Pakistan, England etc
    Peter Chase Tyrone Kane Jack Tector, where are these guys
    Have to move on and I bet we will be destroyed in the test match in May. I`m only going for Thursday, doubt it will last more than 2 /3 days

• Advertisement

Afghanistan on course to hammer the West Indies, 140/1 chasing 204

Advertisement