Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Just been out for a two hour trek an some incredible scenes around here, never seen anything like it, drifts half way up the telephone poles in places. Still coming down thick and fast now as well, 48 hours and counting without a pause!

20180302_145525.jpg
    20180302_145752.jpg
    20180302_151154.jpg
    20180302_153503.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭hhmmm?

Absolutely chucking it down here in Sandyford. No let up at all. Will be snowed in the weekend at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Who is that eadgit co presenting the Afternoon Show!? He's after asking a climatologist was 'Black 1947 after the famine' particularly bad snow!!

100 years out..now coincidentally there was severe snowfalls from December 1846- Feb 1847.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

So remember late last night / "very early in the morning" when people around Sandycove were worried about a thaw?

We're basically back to blizzard conditions here now. If anything the snow is actually heavier than it was yesterday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Been constantly snowing all day the path was cleared four hours ago and is not completely covered in snow again, few inches. Really heavy snow and gusts. Stillorgan Dublin. I've a flight Sunday morning Dublin Airport and don't see it happening somehow. Was meant to be flying today but was cancelled.
    What are the chances of flights leaving Dublin Sunday morning? Apologies if I should have asked this in another thread.
    Never experienced weather like this in my 29years. Been watching tv3and rte weather programmes most of the day. Also never seen the TV schedule taken over by weather so much before. This is really is historic in Dublin for snow. I went to Blackrock and noticed in stillorgan there is that bit extra snow fall.

Yes, has not stopped all day in Stillorgan. Very heavy with poor visibility now. In the last hour the N11 has started to get coated again after having been totally clear - I would guess in another hour it could be solid white . Heaviest snowfall yet since this started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Have the finer snow here now. This really does the job. Heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

:D Radar looks like the Welsh are firing a snow cannon at our east coast. Perhaps we should have thought twice before beating them at the rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 East Beast 18

What's going on????? I thought the worst was meant to be last night . Bucketing down big flakey snow all day in blackrock. No thaw. This is the worst its been all week as yesterdays "blizzard" was just wind and light snow?

I'm nearly out of food lads in the gaff. Beginning to panic now. What if the shops aren't going to open for days yet????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Dodge wrote: »
    We’re now into 48 hours of straight snow in Clondalkin. As heavy now as at any stage (day time anyway) since the first flakes on Tuesday

It’s insane tbh

Yes. Non stop. Incredible scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

NAGDEFI wrote: »
    Who is that eadgit co presenting the Afternoon Show!? He's after asking a climatologist was 'Black 1947 after the famine' particularly bad snow!!

100 years out..now coincidentally there was severe snowfalls from December 1846- Feb 1847.

I was half watching/listening and wondering what he was talking about the famine re 1947?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

largepants wrote: »
    I can't understand how Waterford an Cork have been taken off red alert so early.

It's madness, snowing here since 8am yesterday and no letting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

Aye, but I presume you are prepared. It isn't like this was something that came at you out of the blue. There couldn't have been any more warnings given to people.

Previous cold snap events were not accompanied by blanket shutdowns and earlier on in the week weather models were not nailed on with absolute certainty so it was not reasonable then to expect these shutdowns. I did try to stock up on Thursday morning before Emma but found everywhere shut. At the beginning of the week we were all scoffing at panic buyers, but it now seems panic buying was the thing to do. Note, I am NOT saying the current shutdown for Emma and aftermath is not justified, as the weather is obviously mental out there now - and I would also be concerned about a lot of business premises with flat roofs if the accumulations continue to mount up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Titain

Still snowing here in sw kerry, fairly heavily actually. I did wonder why we don't have a warning as we have easily had more snow today than last night, and we got a good load then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Been lashing snow all day here in D24 and doesnt seem to be letting up.
    Was anyone around for the snow in 1982? If so how does it compare to whats happening now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Will Kilkenny get any much more? Snow here in Kilkenny itself has been rubbish, envious of our neighbours in Wexford, Waterford Wicklow and Kildare. Seems to be much worse and more "quality" snow!
    Bit of a thaw on actually and slushy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This is INSANE...it’s no overstatement now here in Dublin to say that roads are almost if not impassible in this area. Constant snow deluge. Impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Sweet baby jebus...its pelting in clondalkin and people never learn....I can see the nangor road, people driving on it, the civil defence where out earlier helping idiots who decided to take their BMW out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Strumms wrote: »
    This is INSANE...it’s no overstatement now here in Dublin to say that roads are almost if not impassible in this area. Constant snow deluge. Impressive

Where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Stopped here in Co. Waterford for now. Measured up to 50 cm in spots around my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Here in Cork City the snow has died off a bit, still lightly falling after falling for a number of hours. It had gotten to be very wet snow though sadly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Where exactly?

Clondalkin/Lucan anyway. Wind and constant snow. No visibility now. Constantly accumulating. Roads a complete no go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 East Beast 18

What's going on????? I thought the worst was meant to be last night . Bucketing down big flakey snow all day in blackrock. No thaw. This is the worst its been all week as yesterdays "blizzard" was just wind and light snow?

I'm nearly out of food lads in the gaff. Beginning to panic now. What if the shops aren't going to open for days yet????

Don't worry you'll be grand :rolleyes:

Thanks. There was me worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Still Wicklow mountains blocking any significant snowfall here :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tobinjl91

Only getting worse here in Harolds Cross! Thought we had seen the last of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

Biggest snow of the week in Bray at the moment.
    Relentless stream of fairly small pellets, I’d say we’re up to a foot, foot and a half in some places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Little help?

86_BF018_E-_DE30-427_C-_AC90-_E6_A2_DD1_E0_CE4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Dublin 3: very skiddy and icy on side roads in Clontarf. Blizzard here now which is not what Met were predicting AFAIK?

Main thoroughfares Clontarf Road, Fairview, Ballybough, Dorset Street all very slushy and skiddy but passable.

Eurospar Fairview is open, all other convenience stores around those areas shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Would be great to be back to normal again and this horrible snow would piss off. Hopefully tomorrow the snow thaws away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

RustyGate wrote: »
    Previous cold snap events were not accompanied by blanket shutdowns and earlier on in the week weather models were not nailed on with absolute certainty so it was not reasonable then to expect these shutdowns. I did try to stock up on Thursday morning before Emma but found everywhere shut. At the beginning of the week we were all scoffing at panic buyers, but it now seems panic buying was the thing to do. Note, I am NOT saying the current shutdown for Emma and aftermath is not justified, as the weather is obviously mental out there now - and I would also be concerned about a lot of business premises with flat roofs if the accumulations continue to mount up.

Predicting weather isn't an exact science. These things are constantly evolving and changing as the develop so its impossible to give exact details. It was perfectly reasonably to me to think parts of the country would get shut down given the severity of the warnings.

Advertisement