Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

crashadder wrote: »
    so i am new in the country and wasnt expecting that life would shut down in Dublin so i havent prepared for this in terms of supplies. I have enough to last me until sunday maybe. what am i supposed to do if the grocery stores dont open ?

A lot are open. I'm just back from Lidl (I drive a 4x4 so it was handy) but local walking distance to me is a Euro Spar, Spar and corner shop- all open.
    Where in Dublin are you?

I'm out in Balgriffin, NE Dublin. Snow today is more like traditional snow and quite a bit of it in the last few hours. Wind is a lot less strong than yesterday/early this morning.
    The type of snow with the strong winds last night blew most of it westward before it could settle in any great amounts locally.

This is now...(fairly pelting it down just not visible on camera).

38765648200_cd36df7d4f_z.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There's been constant snow for the last 3 hours in Portmarnock, North Dublin but little accumulation to speak of. It almost seems like sleet at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

froog wrote: »
    oh give over maude flanders, people are allowed enjoy snow.

Where did I say they weren't? Maybe you should have read the original comment, Ralph Wiggum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Munster, Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan, Monaghan and Galway
    Snow accumulations continuing to increase due to further falls of snow

Issued:Friday 02 March 2018 15:00
    Valid:Friday 02 March 2018 16:00 to Saturday 03 March 2018 09:00

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo
    Scattered snow showers

Munster downgraded to Orange. New yellow alert too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

STATUS RED

Snow-ice Warning for Dublin, Kildare, Wexford, Wicklow and Meath
    Update
    Snow accumulations continuing to increase significantly due to further heavy falls of snow

Issued:Friday 02 March 2018 15:46

Munster changed to Orange

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Munster, Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan, Monaghan and Galway
    Snow accumulations continuing to increase due to further falls of snow

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo
    Scattered snow showers

Well I'm about 3 or 4 miles from Wexford and Waterford is snowbound, it's still snowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The slight thawing visible on cleared paths and cars today has stopped and is getting well covered again here in Ballyfermot. Snow hasn't stopped all day. No real further drifting as the winds has totally eased but the inches are starting to build again in the constant snow.

Looks like Centras and Iceland is/were open. Lots of people heading home with bags. A lot more folk out and about today compared to yesterday with very few cars being driven.

I'm in Ballyfermot and I've over 3 foot drifts in the garden. It's crazy. I had to dig out a trench to get some coal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Heavy dry powdery stuff belting down and accumulating quickly in D.16. The big fluffy flakes earlier were nice to look at but they weren't really accumulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It'd hard to believe this is actually taken in Ireland. It's what we are used to seeing from Norway or any other snowy country.

Im wondering to myself if any of the snowfalls in some of the inland counties like meath and kildare might have broke global records never mind irish records, given the accumulations being so vast, in such a small timeframe, in relatively lowland terrain, and in march no less, makes me think its very possible

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

cnocbui wrote: »

The YouTube tags don't work with the shortened YouTube links, you need to use the full URL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

It'd hard to believe this is actually taken in Ireland. It's what we are used to seeing from Norway or any other snowy country.

I know, and Sallins of all places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Red warning extended to 9am tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

I want to take a timelapse of the snow but I haven't got a single window in the house not coated in snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Car got stuck on my road...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Relentless snow all day in Clondalkin. Wind has just gotten up and visibility now nearly zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Really wansn't expecting this. Moderate intensity, sometimes heavy. Starting to pile up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Red warning extended to 9am tomorrow

But only for certain counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

antodeco wrote: »
    I'm in Ballyfermot and I've over 3 foot drifts in the garden. It's crazy. I had to dig out a trench to get some coal!
    What are you complaining about? Your own coal mine in your garden - such a luxury!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    I want to take a timelapse of the snow but I haven't got a single window in the house not coated in snow...

first world probs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Heavy now. Nice. Cars getting a dusting again now. Roofs, bushes etc already dusted.

I'd say additional 2cms so far on snow covered areas.

Do you think laois could see some more this today, not had anything other than snizzle since last night.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Snow very heavy in Leopardstown pretty much all day, but the past ~2 hours especially so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Picky owner

Why isn't Waterford under the red warning, terrible conditions here, literally snowed in,Wexford is only a few miles away and they are under the red alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Roads that were cleared going white again near Santry. Finer grains helping it along.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Absolutely bucketing down snow here in south Kerry since about 1pm I think. Heaviest I've seen since the event started.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Jerry is back :-(:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

It is very heavy now in Dublin 9. Less sleety than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

demakinz wrote: »
    I'm right in the shadow of the Wicklow mountains on the radar ,been very light stuff all day. Will the winds change to give us more of the proper stuff ?

There has been a slight shift in wind direction to my eyes and it has started moving away from Wales, I expect perception to improve later

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Dublin 7, even the roads going white again. Proper accumulations now.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Looks like West and NW are going to get even more snow tonight, have had over 24 hours in Galway city at this stage, has to be most we have ever had especially with more to come if the Hirlam is right.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sticking here still. Some drifts are huge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hearing birdsong again for the first time in a few days

Advertisement