Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Wales 24th Feb 2:15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I thought it was pretty mixed from Kearney. There were some good things and some bad things. But given the injuries and the nature of the upcoming games there is more chance of awec running round the Aviva in a 'I love Nucifora' t-shirt than there is of Kearney being dropped for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyway, did anyone hear if that baby got out of the pub alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Going to say something deeply vague and armchair pundit-esque about Sexton that I was thinking about in the last half of the game and since. It goes back to the fact that we lack a player in the backs (arguably even the forwards) who has the playmaker stature of Sexton. I don't think many would disagree that he largely becomes our solitary standout playmaker when he's on the field, and certainly a lot of this seems to be because the other players trust him to a massive extent. But there's also his own attitude, he seems to be a fairly bossy player for the most part, and mostly this works to his advantage and is laudable, but I can't help like feeling to an extent that it impacts on the whole team when he's having an off day.

And by that, I don't mean that his overall game was poor, far from it, he showed plenty of moments of greatness when not kicking, but I think you've got to say that the kicking will have affected his mental state a little bit (even Schmidt said this, that it made him angrier).

Anyway, long winded way of saying - I think when Sexton's head is in an off-place, that could affect how the rest of the team play because the standout playmaker they rely on is suddenly playing with a different character. So Sexton gets held to a higher standard because even when objectively, statistically or whatever, his non-kicking game looked great today, his leadership was affected by the mental affect of missing all those kicks.

It's not an interpretation I'm confident in by any means, but I do wonder about it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I suspect Sexton had some sort of a niggle. Not like him to miss kicks like that and there was an odd sound from the kicks, almost like a fat shot in golf. The fact that he ran the penalty instead of kicking it (fairly unusual for him) makes me think he just couldn't take them cleanly.

As I said previously, I agree with the niggle idea - definitely wasn't striking them like he normally does

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

bilston wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty mixed from Kearney. There were some good things and some bad things. But given the injuries and the nature of the upcoming games there is more chance of awec running round the Aviva in a 'I love Nucifora' t-shirt than there is of Kearney being dropped for anyone.

Our younger and more inexperienced guys today were our best performers. Farrell, Porter, Leavy all exceptional. Ryan and Stockdale both very good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

No, sorry, you are incorrect...do look at the game again.
    You're having a laugh. Don't think you'll find many agreeiing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Our younger and more inexperienced guys today were our best performers. Farrell, Porter, Leavy all exceptional. Ryan and Stockdale both very good too.

Totally agree. All the above were excellent and it's really encouraging to see. Hard to believe that 3 of todays starters played in the JWC final less than 2 years ago.

Farrell was superb today, he is definitely the one that got away for me as an Ulster fan. At least I get to appreciate his abilities on the green of Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

IIGeminiII wrote: »
    Stockdale taking far too much of a risk there at the end. Could have opened up the defensive line for the Welsh or knocked on the ball. Sure, he scored a try, but these games are won on fine margins and I think he showed his naivete at this level. England will be licking their lips. Good player but maybe it's too early for him at this level?

Yeah it probably is a bit early for him. He's finding it difficult to get up to the speed of international rugby. I mean a strike rate of 8 tries in his first 7 games shows that he's not doing enough for his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭sxt

I suspect Sexton had some sort of a niggle. Not like him to miss kicks like that and there was an odd sound from the kicks, almost like a fat shot in golf. The fact that he ran the penalty instead of kicking it (fairly unusual for him) makes me think he just couldn't take them cleanly.

But he consistently misses kicks in every single game that should never be missed at international level. In the game before he missed a kick the likes you wouldn't see missed in a under 13s game. Not just missed, but no where near. There is no excuses for those misses at elite level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Sexton never stops in contact. He really puts his body on the line, even today when he didn’t look right. Farrell was dominant in the centre and made a load of vital tackles. How come Neil Francis said he couldn’t pass? Wales didn’t have an answer to us in the collisions but we looked fragile and narrow when they finally got it out wide with those zippy passes. McFadden did not inspire confidence in defence.

BTW was that scrum penalty really ours? Looked a mess. We were rock solid up till then. Well done, Porter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Farrell made a believer out of me today. Obviously his crash ball is a real obvious trait, but he showed good hands, excellent jackeling ability and has a great engine to go with his athleticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

Think Sexton was brilliant today in open play, strong fearless running, always looking to keep Ireland moving and not afraid to try things, obviously kicking aside. Our defence was poor today and kept Wales in the game, Leary and Stander were very good today, was a bit worried for our back row but played well.Will we have O Brien, Ringrose, Henderson and Furlong back next day? That leaves us in a very strong position for Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rala_

Ireland excellent today. Only faults would be defending the width and wings, Kearneys defence not good enough for this level. But other then that absolutely outstanding, big credit due for pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Christy42

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Sexton never stops in contact. He really puts his body on the line, even today when he didn’t look right. Farrell was dominant in the centre and made a load of vital tackles. How come Neil Francis said he couldn’t pass? Wales didn’t have an answer to us in the collisions but we looked fragile and narrow when they finally got it out wide with those zippy passes. McFadden did not inspire confidence in defence.

BTW was that scrum penalty really ours? Looked a mess. We were rock solid up till then. Well done, Porter.

They didn't hook the ball right when we got the scrum penalty. It put their scrum under all sorts of pressure. As soon as I saw the failed hook I was expecting the penalty to come to us.

I'm no prop but I thought we were very fortunate to win that penalty, the scrum looked like a total mess and I don't know who turned in first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

You're having a laugh. Don't think you'll find many agreeiing with you.

Ahm..the whole forum did during the game... revisionism doesn't count.

IIGeminiII wrote: »
    People being harsh on johnny. He missed a few kicks. It happens. But he was a talisman for us in this game. Lots of hard running, neat passes, and a sensational pass for the try. Connected all the dots. He's super confident and fearless.

I don’t know what we would do without him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

sxt wrote: »
    But he consistently misses kicks in every single game that should never be missed at international level. In the game before he missed a kick the likes you wouldn't see missed in a under 13s game. Not just missed, but no where near. There is no excuses for those misses at elite level.

He was coming into this game with a kicking rate of 90% from the last two games.

I'm no prop but I thought we were very fortunate to win that penalty, the scrum looked like a total mess and I don't know who turned in first.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

As I said previously, I agree with the niggle idea - definitely wasn't striking them like he normally does

Murray Kinsella was vaguely hinting at such before the match.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/967387454889234437

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/967392988732297216

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

I’m not sure you are right. While Joe is conservative and won’t upset the apple cart he will drop players who are sub par which Kearney is verging on.

I don’t know what we would do without him.

If he'd knocked over maybe 2 of the missed kicks we'd be saying he'd a 9/10 performance. He was excellent in general play. Even in the early period when he missed the kicks he'd the pass for Stockdale to score, the break down the left and a perfect restart that Farrell claimed.

Edit, that miss Kinsella posted above is exactly how he was missing in the match. Fading it left to right.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Peregrine wrote: »
    He was coming into this game with a kicking rate of 90% from the last two games.

Was trying to find his stats - so for all the playmaking he does, today he didn't do one of the most basic parts of his job as well as hie normally does.

Maybe it is time to give Murray the kicking job more often? Especially if Sexton is going to be playing so close to the gain line and getting smashed as often

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

sxt wrote: »
    Look at his strike rate in International rugby or in all rugby played and I think you'll find you're wrong. Before the Lions tour his strike rate was marginally better than Halfpenny's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If he'd knocked over maybe 2 of the missed kicks we'd be saying he'd a 9/10 performance. He was excellent in general play. Even in the early period when he missed the kicks he'd the pass for Stockdale to score, the break down the left and a perfect restart that Farrell claimed.

Edit, that miss Kinsella posted above is exactly how he was missing in the match. Fading it left to right.
    He ran over a Welsh player (a half back that does that!) to take us to the line for Healys try as well. He was immense today barring the kicking, which we can all agree was appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

So we dominated a Welsh team 5 tries to 3, that barely missed out on a win in Twickenham the previous game. We are on the best run of results in our history with the greatest Irish team and coach ever and people are still upset? We will always make mistakes and so will england and the all blacks. We will never have 15 perfect players. If anything our players are overachieving

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Maybe it is time to give Murray the kicking job more often? Especially if Sexton is going to be playing so close to the gain line and getting smashed as often

It was only his second kick for Ireland wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭sxt

Peregrine wrote: »

Statistics don't tell the full story. He misses straight forward kicks the likes happenny and Farrell would never miss, ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭IIGeminiII

Wut? Every kicker has an off day. I remember watching Halfpenny playing Scarlets last year and he couldn't kick a goal for Toulon to save his life. Sexton's goal kicking is one of the reasons he's so valuable ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Just dropped in to see the comments. Some are toxic. It's depressing stuff. People oh so predictably trying to get the boot in to certain players. It never ends does it?

Advertisement