Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Grand National 2018

Options
  • 22-02-2018 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭

Weights out today - was hoping for slightly bigger than 12s on Folsom Blue tbh.

Tiger Roll at 20s depending what route they go. (Already mentioned him as my pick so far for Aintree).

Few interesting McManus horses too - potential plot ones like he loves.

http://status.hri-ras.ie/entries/Microsoft_Word__2018_ONOR063.PDF?id=2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Weights out today - was hoping for slightly bigger than 12s on Folsom Blue tbh.

Tiger Roll at 20s depending what route they go. (Already mentioned him as my pick so far for Aintree).

Few interesting McManus horses too - potential plot ones like he loves.

I think 12s is a fair price and we know he will run. In fact I think theres a bit of juice in that price. He had a gruelling hurdle race in Sandown only 7 days before his trial win so I definitely think he is open to more improvement. It will be interesting to see do they put a claimer on board or persist with Jack. He is up 9lbs now. I think Tiger Roll will take same route as Cause of Causes last year. Cross country and Aintree grand national.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

American is an interesting entry. 20/1 is a decent price. Ucello Conti is one I continue to back but could be in the mix in Aintree.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bonny Kate is carrying very little weight and if the long range weather forecasts are in anyway accurate, then I think this has a cracking chance. No bet yet, but if a bookie went 50/1 then I'd be inclined to have a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Cant see Tiger Roll turning up, he will be running in the Cheltenham Cross Country and to run in an Irish National less than 3 weeks later would be madness and even if he did effectively ruin his chances. The extra two weeks to Aintree would make alot more sense for me. Obviously all depends on a) if he definitely goes to Cheltenham and b) how he fares in the cross country.

piplip87 wrote: »
    American is an interesting entry. 20/1 is a decent price. Ucello Conti is one I continue to back but could be in the mix in Aintree.

American was definitely the one that caught my eye, but I when I went looking for quotes and updates from Harry Fry on the horse it put me very much off, I dont think he will take up either entry in the nationals and will be put away until next season and soft ground. He was intended runner last year in Punchestown but was taken out because of the going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Children's List is my pick for this assuming he's not headed for Aintree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Bellshill the classiest in the field
    Doesnt mean it will win, but will back it once it goes 12 or bigger which I presume it will
    currently too short at 10s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Hoping for an improvement in the state of the Ground for huge priced fancy for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

https://juicestorm.com/horse-racing/2017-irish-grand-national-betting-trends/

Love trends for the Nationals. Hoping to get through the card later today with the top trends in the above a 73% strike rate (11/15)

https://juicestorm.com/horse-racing/2017-irish-grand-national-betting-trends/

Love trends for the Nationals. Hoping to get through the card later today with the top trends in the above a 73% strike rate (11/15)

Trends:
    14/15 – Carried 10-13 or LESS
    14/15 – Had raced within the last 8 weeks
    14/15 – Won over at least 3m previously
    13/15 – Winning distance – 5 lengths or less (Excluded this)
    13/15 – Irish bred
    12/15 – Carried 10-8 or LESS
    12/15 – Came from outside the top 3 in the betting
    12/15 – Returned a double-figure price
    12/15 – Aged 9 or younger
    11/15 – Carried 10-6 or LESS
    11/15 – Won by an Irish-based trainer
    11/15 – Had raced at Fairyhouse previously

Out of the 84 left, the ones who fit the 11 trends above:
    Pleasant Company
    Mall Dini
    Shattered Love
    Jetstream Jack
    Call It Magic
    Bonny Kate
    Sutton Manor
    Westerner Point
    Pylonthepressure
    Wounder Warrior
    Killaro Boy
    Drumconnor Lad
    Phil's Magic
    Poormans Hill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Trends:
    14/15 – Carried 10-13 or LESS
    14/15 – Had raced within the last 8 weeks
    14/15 – Won over at least 3m previously
    13/15 – Winning distance – 5 lengths or less (Excluded this)
    13/15 – Irish bred
    12/15 – Carried 10-8 or LESS
    12/15 – Came from outside the top 3 in the betting
    12/15 – Returned a double-figure price
    12/15 – Aged 9 or younger
    11/15 – Carried 10-6 or LESS
    11/15 – Won by an Irish-based trainer
    11/15 – Had raced at Fairyhouse previously

Pleasant Company
    Mall Dini
    Shattered Love
    Jetstream Jack
    Call It Magic
    Bonny Kate
    Sutton Manor
    Westerner Point
    Pylonthepressure
    Wounder Warrior
    Killaro Boy
    Drumconnor Lad
    Phil's Magic
    Poormans Hill

Interesting..... 2 i fancy in that lot.

Of the above, who's guaranteed to run though?

No idea tbh.

Who's your two?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

If anyone has any boylesports complimentary tickets, they're not using, I'd glady use them.

Pleasant Company
    Mall Dini
    Shattered Love
    Jetstream Jack
    Call It Magic
    Bonny Kate
    Sutton Manor
    Westerner Point
    Pylonthepressure
    Wounder Warrior
    Killaro Boy
    Drumconnor Lad
    Phil's Magic
    Poormans Hill

So just two gone from the list above so far.

So just two gone from the list above so far.

My big fancy still there but I'm entrigued to know if it is also one of Slattsy's, if so I may need to re-consdier :p:p

danganabu wrote: »
    My big fancy still there but I'm entrigued to know if it is also one of Slattsy's, if so I may need to re-consdier :p:p

:(

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours!!

I think Poormans Hill could run well and I've no doubt Sutton Manor is better than his current mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sweeneed

folsum blue will win this by half the track. this was the plan for him all year and he'd have won the welsh national only it got postponed and then he had to pull out. no point trying to be too clever about it looking for big prices in this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

Bellshill is running here off 158 and he could run at Aintree off 148. They know.

• Advertisement

Pleasant Company is the one I really like when I think back to his win the Bobbyjo Chase last season of a mark 3lbs higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Bellshill is running here off 158 and he could run at Aintree off 148. They know.

I was looking there a while ago and came to the conclusion that he is value even as fav. Ill still try to find a big priced one against him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Of the current top 30 in the weights, only 9 are not trained/owned by Elliott/Mullins/Giggins town.

sweeneed wrote: »
    folsum blue will win this by half the track. this was the plan for him all year and he'd have won the welsh national only it got postponed and then he had to pull out. no point trying to be too clever about it looking for big prices in this one!

Lost a chunk on him for the Welsh as I had him AP :mad:

Will definitely be having a small dabble along with a trend horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

sweeneed wrote: »

Surprised if he places. Too lazy. There's lazy and then there's this boy. Plug on at the end for 6th or 7th.

Lost a chunk on him for the Welsh as I had him AP :mad:

Will definitely be having a small dabble along with a trend horse.

Snap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

djPSB wrote: »
    Of the current top 30 in the weights, only 9 are not trained/owned by Elliott/Mullins/Giggins town.

Of the 15 Ryanair entries for Sunday only 1 is not trained by them this is not good

Pleasant Company
    Mall Dini
    Shattered Love
    Jetstream Jack
    Call It Magic
    Bonny Kate
    Sutton Manor
    Westerner Point
    Pylonthepressure
    Wounder Warrior
    Killaro Boy
    Drumconnor Lad
    Phil's Magic
    Poormans Hill

Down to 6 which meet the trends...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

Townend on Pairofbrowneyes so maybe they don't know. Or maybe just Paul doesn't know. Or maybe they don't want us to know that they know. Much to ponder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

I fancy isleofhopendreams to be at least placed in this 20/1 and 6 places with Paddy Power.

Advertisement