Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad (1 day race - no spoilers needed)

Options
  • 20-02-2018 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭

After the away races and early season tours, the grime and hardcore of the Belgian classics season pro racing begins this coming weekend, with Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Volk on Saturday and Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne on Sunday. It should be great ! Bring on the cobbles...

The finale on Saturday is relatively novel, incorporating the old route of the Tour of Flanders. In recent years, Omloop finished in in Ghent but the new
    course finishes in Meerbeeke district of Ninove with the legendary duo of De Muur van Geraardsbergen and the Bosberg featuring in the final 20km.

teaser video here
    https://twitter.com/i/web/status/965596746448539648

Official site with lots of info here: https://www.touretappe.nl/omloop-het-nieuwsblad-2018/

Greg vanAvermaet has won the last two editions and is in good form already, so could it be three in a row?

Ryan Mullen is on the provisional start list for Trek, and looks like our sole participant (CJJ is on the Michelton Scott team, so I guess that's 1.5 Irishmen... :))

Omloop tends to be won from a small select group, and will presumably be the same again this weekend. It's hard to look beyond a Belgian winner, with plenty to choose from: GVA, Gilbert, Naesen (the Belgian champions jersey should overcome a broken nose handicap...), Benoot etc, but there are a wide range of other possible winners. Something approaching 90% of wins have been local.....

Time to book some couch space and get in some Duvel....

Comments

Live coverage from 13:15 on ES player and 14:30 on ES2

Can't wait, start list as of today is here http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=MjgzNTQ=

Hard to look passed GvA, read a piece this week with him full of praise for Philippe Gilbert.

EDIT: Just remembered Abu Dhabi is this week too so long day in the saddle on the couch on Saturday :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Ah the real racing is beginning; call me lazy or old fashioned but I cannot bring myself to watching exhibition type racing in far flung banana dictatorships; I get zero excitement watching Marcel Kittel or GVA sprinting up the side of a dam in the middle of a desert - Europe is where its at and this time of year that means the start of the classics.
    Anyway, I think it could be a big year for Naesen - AG2R have quite a decent gang of rouleurs and bad weather bruisers; plus the other guy I'm looking forward to is Trentin now that he is off the leash in his new team; he is a monument winner in waiting. The Mur/Bosberg finish changes things up a bit, so a select group or solo winner is very likely. Will be nice to see that route used once more.

As for Sunday (different thread?) Kristoff is off riding in Yabbu Dabby so he won't be winning - I would actually fancy his chances if he were here. All the publicity is about Sagan and his white horse but Trek and Quickstep will have the numbers to make it difficult for him I suspect. On the weather front, Siberian east winds will make it especially cold on Sunday, but lots of tailwind in the final 50km it seems. There is therefore a good chance of echelons on the final circuit so a bunch finish is far from guaranteed.

Edit: Sagan isn't in the start list, I wasn't following what he was up to lately. Where is he?

Sagan's been in Australia , took Stage 4 i think it was of Tour Down Under. Looks to be in good shape. Been some decent 2.1/HC races in Spain and Portugal in recent weeks. Valverde is looking in top shape after his return from injury and Kwiatkowski also looks very good, actually surprised he was allowed to take the yellow from Thomas there on Sunday.

EDIT: : @JK.BMC I'd forgotten Sundays race, thats a 13:30 start on ES2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Great to see the traditional launch isn't steering away from controversy... https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20180219_03365270

If anyone can tell me what that video of the two women dancing has to do with racing, I'd be much obliged!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Where did Benoot come from in the list of favourites?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

buffalo wrote: »
    Great to see the traditional launch isn't steering away from controversy... https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20180219_03365270

If anyone can tell me what that video of the two women dancing has to do with racing, I'd be much obliged!
    thats bizarre.very bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭Macy0161

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Edit: Sagan isn't in the start list, I wasn't following what he was up to lately. Where is he?
    Training in Sierra Nevada, according the posts of him wheeling up mountains on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I'll be sitting on a long haul flight while this is going on, hoping to jaysus there'll be a bit of Wifi and I can stream it.

Im not too fluent in Flemish so can you tell me what exactly is the 'controversy?'
    Should we call Oprah or something?
    Any opinion on the race....?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Im not too fluent in Flemish so can you tell me what exactly is the 'controversy?'
    Should we call Oprah or something?

Here: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nieuwsblad.be%2Fcnt%2Fdmf20180219_03365270&edit-text=&act=url

Although you don't need to understand Flemish to watch the video.
    Any opinion on the race....?

I'm looking forward to watching it!

• Advertisement

Here: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nieuwsblad.be%2Fcnt%2Fdmf20180219_03365270&edit-text=&act=url

Although you don't need to understand Flemish to watch the video.

I'm looking forward to watching it!

Ah good

Me Too.... ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No Sagan this year. He's not starting until the Strade Bianchi. Shame. Would have loved to have seen an early duel between himself and Van Avermaet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

The impending cold snap may play a key role in how things play out this weekend. Temperatures in belgium are not expected to rise above freezing all weekend but there is no precipitation forecast so unlikely to see any postponements.

Also interesting to see that Sam Bennett has not chosen to enter (or been selected) for Omloop. Most of the other sprinters are racing both days to sharpen the legs

No Sagan this year. He's not starting until the Strade Bianchi. Shame. Would have loved to have seen an early duel between himself and Van Avermaet.

Wasn't he doing his best Napoleon impression on the promo poster for Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne :confused:

I assumed that was a sign of his intent to race but not listed to start, it's as you say Strade Bianchi he's next down to race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I've just noticed that there will be complete overlap between the finale of the race and the Ireland v Wales rugby match.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kevingonewest

Men have probably always done sport to ultimately, even if subconsciously, indicate their health/virility in a flamboyant display to impress females

• Registered Users Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Men have probably always done sport to ultimately, even if subconsciously, indicate their health/virility in a flamboyant display to impress females
    So these dancing women are being paid to look impressed? Not sure I follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Because men have probably always paid women to pretend to be impressed by their flamboyant displays?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Is there a womans race too ?? :P :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »

Hopefully not!
    Who will kiss the winner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

looking forward to this. living in brussels, so gonna head out and watch a bit. not sure whether to spectate from finish or muur/bosberg.

nialljf wrote: »
    looking forward to this. living in brussels, so gonna head out and watch a bit. not sure whether to spectate from finish or muur/bosberg.

If you go to Haaghoek, or the Leberg climb just around the corner, you will see them 3 times; bars and cafes in the area will keep you warm in between. It's gonna be pretty cold! From my experience you don't see too much on the Muur as it's very narrow and twisty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

greenspurs wrote: »
    There is a women's race on Saturday morning, not a women's world tour official event though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

nialljf wrote: »

make sure you get photos for on here

There is a women's race on Saturday morning, not a women's world tour official event though

Shame, a lot of the bigger names in the womens game not going to be there and it would be a hell of a race. Lizzy Deignan has won it twice in the past I think ( can we claim her through marriage yet ? :) )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Is there a local beer to go with this race? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Borderfox wrote: »
    Is there a local beer to go with this race? :)

Probably about 800.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Shame, a lot of the bigger names in the womens game not going to be there and it would be a hell of a race. Lizzy Deignan has won it twice in the past I think ( can we claim her through marriage yet ? :) )

Is she missing it ?

(same as she missed her drug tests)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Probably about 800.......

This should do

Translated as 'Instant Death'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lizzy Deignan ... ( can we claim her through marriage yet ? :) )

Why on earth would we want to do that?

Advertisement