Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever had an unwanted sexual experience? Mod warning in op - updated 6/3/18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,604 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I had a drink in each hand. I panicked and used one of them to try and get him away.

What do you think I should have done instead?

Dropped a glass and slapped him?
    Poured one over him?
    Screamed?
    Made a loud and uncomfortable scene and exposed him as a pervert?
    Asked security for assistance?
    Reported him to the Gardaí for sexual assault?

Many options available rather than risk inflicting life altering injuries/scarring on someone.
    As I said in my earlier post, unless your life is at risk smashing a glass into someone is an over reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

banie01 wrote: »
    Screamed?

Many options available rather than risk inflicting life altering injuries/scarring on someone.
    As I said in my earlier post, unless your life is at risk smashing a glass into someone is an over reaction.
    You may well have not had a chance to read her response to why she did it, she panicked (no surprise to me there) and she had two drinks in her hand.

As mentioned so eloquently by a poster earlier in the thread, I wonder where that manual on How to React Appropriately when Sexually Assaulted is so we can all have the correct reaction. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

Poured one over him?
    Screamed?

I absolutely hate when people tell people how they would react in a situation they weren’t in.

And this, friends, is why people don't report sexual assault! How dare she retaliate when someone sticks their head between her breasts!

That is not retaliation, it is a gross over reaction but hey if you want to equate motorboating with potential life altering injuries inflicted because someone panicked, thats your call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭georgina toadbum

Dropped a glass and slapped him? Could have done that yeh but that's still assault
    Poured one over him? Nothing in the glass in my left hand, only a mouthful in the other. There was no chairs or tables close by hence why I was holding two glasses.
    Screamed? I did
    Made a loud and uncomfortable scene and exposed him as a pervert? I did
    Asked security for assistance? How? I couldn't get out of the situation at that very second
    Reported him to the Gardaí for sexual assault? The guards weren't at the party

Why would i bother reporting it when there are people like you in this world who doesn't see anything wrong with what he did?

• Advertisement

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    I absolutely hate when people tell people how they would react in a situation they weren’t in.

I was asked how the person should have reacted.
    I gave her the options that came to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

That is not retaliation, it is a gross over reaction but hey if you want to equate motorboating with potential life altering injuries inflicted because someone panicked, thats your call.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt above, but hey, if you want to project how you think someone who is being sexually assaulted SHOULD react, that's your call.

I absolutely do not agree with you, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Wibbs wrote: »
    Good to know I didn't have to come out and state it directly.

Ah you know I love me some Wibbipedia!

Why would i bother reporting it when there are people like you in this world who doesn't see anything wrong with what he did?

Where, or when did I say there was nothing wrong with he did?
    I said, quite clearly that your smashing a glass into his head was an over reaction.
    I never said motorboating you was ok!

I gave you the benefit of the doubt above, but hey, if you want to project how you think someone who is being sexually assaulted SHOULD react, that's your call.

I absolutely do not agree with you, however.

The person who was assaulted asked me directly how I felt they should react and presented glassing the perpertrator as the only option.
    I answered her direct question and pointed out how it wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

I was asked how the person should have reacted.
    I gave her the options that came to mind.

I was stabbed in the hand once. A fella in work was telling me exactly what he’d of done. He was not in a situation with panic and adrenaline. He hadn’t a clue how he would of reacted. It made him feel important to spout crap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You did overreact , its why you got told off by your work. But I don't care what happened to a gross guy like him so Im not criticising you

I think its bad out he didn't also get reprimanded

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep. It's always clear cut after the fact. Goes for many things in life. We've all said at one time or another "I wish I'd said/did that, instead of...". Doubly so in a threatening situation. The keyboard warriors either suggest going all Kung Fu or stepping back and having a polite logical conversation as to why the miscreant in question should desist. In real life it's usually screaming, lashing out with whatever is to hand, running away with a side order of crying(or maybe the latter is just me :D).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

You're claiming what I did was worse and possibly life damaging.

Do you think not think my life has been damaged? Do you not realise how my life could be affected by something like this?

I did not ask for big boobs. I should not have to endure someone sticking their head in them.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Understandable reaction GT. Sure, pouring them over his head would be the better thing upon mature recollection, but in the moment I'd have likely done similar TBH.

Spot on. People say ''oh you should've done this'' or ''I would've done that'' but when it's happening and it catches you off guard and you get a shock it's often fight or flight and georgina obviously just reacted. Possibly felt vunerable too as both hands were occupied, actually perv boy probably copped that was the case and went for it.

Dirtbag brought it on himself.

Do you think not think my life has been damaged? Do you not realise how my life could be affected by something like this?

I did not ask for big boobs. I should not have to endure someone sticking their head in them.

I would prefer be motorboated than glassed in the face. So yes I think its worse,but he initiated so got whatever coming, as I said not criticising you

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Poured one over him?
    Screamed?

There were many other options available to him too rather than attempting to sexually assault someone he didn't imagine would be any threat to him. He certainly got that wrong, and deserved what he got IMO. Hopefully it'll make him think twice the next time it occurs to him to do something similar to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

wakka12 wrote: »
    You did overreact , its why you got told off by your work. But I don't care what happened to a gross guy like him so Im not criticising you

I think its bad out he didn't also get reprimanded

I'm sure she's comforted by your approval :rolleyes:

You thought I reacted too slowly, and now you think she overreacted.
    But here's the thing, neither of us really give a fcuk about what you think tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Poured one over him?
    Screamed?

One tends to react in a knee-jerk fashion when one is being sexually assaulted. Perhaps you should find the man in question and let him know that if he doesn't want to risk having serious injuries inflicted on him he should refrain from sexually assaulting people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Thread is off the charts mental. In so many ways.

• Advertisement

Don't molest people. Don't hit people. Don't invade their privacy. Don't be a bloody creep or a violent POS when out and about. It's actually so so simple not to be a scumbag yet people consistently are failing at it.

anna080 wrote: »

But here's the thing, neither of us really give a fcuk about what you think tbh.

I was making a joke about him being able to do all that so quickly with your dress but sure make it an insult to you or something if you'd like

anna080 wrote: »

This.

I’ve had years to mul over my reaction and if I could turn back time I’d do the exact same again. He got away Scott free doing what he did. If I hadn’t glassed him I doubt he’d have seen anything wrong with what he did

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Right, its gone too mental (even for a thread in AH)

I take my leave ....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Thread is off the charts mental. In so many ways.

I honestly can't fathom how many creeps there are in society. WTF is wrong with these people. Is it so hard to keep your hands to yourself on nights out? Is it a case of absolute neck-beards being around women and not knowing how to restrain themselves? Is it likely lads and lasses just thinking ah it's a bit of banter to cop a feel. If I was out with my sister or gf and saw some stranger pinching their arse I reckon I'd fly off the handle with the sheer brazeness and entitlement of it all. That's what would get to me the most. It would be more a case of ''what the actual f*ck are you thinking there, matey?'' rather than trying to be a white-knight hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,369 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Right so women are allowed to GLASS someone now. I suppose Acid in the handbags will be next to "defend" themselves. Holy fúcknuckles this is daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

pjohnson wrote: »
    Right so women are allowed to GLASS someone now. I suppose Acid in the handbags will be next to "defend" themselves. Holy fúcknuckles this is daft.

People are allowed to defend themselves from being attacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

wakka12 wrote: »
    I was making a joke about him being able to do all that so quickly with your dress but sure make it an insult to you or something if you'd like

I think the joke was ill timed, poorly executed and fell short.

People are talking about their unwanted sexual experiences - if people want to make light of their own, fine, but dont try the Jimmy Carr routine, you’re not as clever, not as funny and people choose to listen to him

What he did was unwarranted, it was plainly unwanted, unexpected and wrong.

But yes, on a scale of wrongness.
    Smashing a glass into someones head is worse and much more potentially life limiting.
    I know a number of people with facial scarring from similar instances of being glassed (Not for the same reasons of course) and 1 person in particular who has lost an eye and significant scarring due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Getting up and leaving your house with big boobs is far less an imposition then applying scar make up and putting in a false eye before heading outside.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »

Another way to look at this; If scumbag co-worker didn't stick his head into her cleavage, all would've been fine. See how that works?

Advertisement