Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break up- is this rational?

Options
  • 18-02-2018 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi all posting on behalf friend who doesnt want to be identified. lets call her Mary. Mary has been going out with John for about year and half. They had some problems and argued on small things , nothing major. They had great bond and enjoyed many trips concerts etc.

Jobn broke up with her about 10 times during that time, as thats his solution to their problems. In July 2017 he called it the end- reason was that they argued too much and he doesnt want to be in relationship.

They were still in touch and sleeping together till November 2017. He said he still loved her and cared for her. He gave her present for Christmas eventhough spent Christmas with his friends and left her alone for Christmas.

In January 2018 he got himself a new girl, with very similar face features as Mary and similar nationality.

My friend would die for John and is devastated that he replaced her in few weeks after saying hes completely happy being single, content by himself, and theres no need for anybody in his life.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Mary should move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭BudEliJackson

endacl wrote: »
    Mary should move on.
    wheres the part that John wants to be single gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

You can be happy and content being single and still be open to meeting someone. They're not mutually exclusive. John isn't obliged to remain single and as already said Mary should move on, it doesn't sound like the best of relationships in any case if they broke up 10 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

John was probably seeing Mary's doppelgänger all along so I agree, mary should move on and set her sights higher than a fella who treated her with disrespect. I'd say John knows well how Mary feels about him and seems he used this to his advantage. Mary needs to draw a big fat line under the relationship and find someone who will treat her better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Lucky Mary

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Oh Mary, why don't you have some sense, please do something, to restore my confidence

Oh Mary, why don't you have some sense, please do something, to restore my confidence

like?

Mary is definitely moving on just John's actions dont seem to make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Men are fond of saying that "they meant it when they said it", so there may be that at play. It may be that he has a type or can't stand being single or horney.

His actions on their own don't make sense to me, but he's really the only one who knows, Mary deserves better even if she doesn't feel that now.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Mary is definitely moving on just John's actions dont seem to make sense

Just because he said he was happy being single etc does make it true. People lie. He just doesn’t want to be with Mary and was trying to extricate himself from the situation as easily as possible. He may as well have said “it’s not you, it’s me”

• Advertisement

Todd Gack wrote: »
    You can be happy and content being single and still be open to meeting someone. They're not mutually exclusive. John isn't obliged to remain single and as already said Mary should move on, it doesn't sound like the best of relationships in any case if they broke up 10 times.

how do you know they are not mutually exclusive? Just wondering ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭piplip87

like?

Get a new job in a financial institution and meet a guy let's call him Frank.

piplip87 wrote: »

lol she doesnt like financial sector :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Mary was an easy shag- shes better off rid

Try_harder wrote: »
    Mary was an easy shag- shes better off rid

what do you mean? she was easy shag sure but one would think that John would find that as benefit not as something negative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

what do you mean? she was easy shag sure but one would think that John would find that as benefit not as something negative?

He might want a real relationship

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Mary should not waste a moment longer considering anything to do with John., what he thinks, what he wants.. anything ..he is just not that into her ...he may be the same with the next girl....probably needs to grow up a bit

Mary needs to look to what she wants from life and dont settle for less and certainly dont let any man play with her heart ...so easily done and so destructive for her self esteem in the long run

Mary find a guy who want to be with you and treats you well ...anything less thne show them the door...you are worth much more than John's second rate on off attentions ...but you got to believe that otherwise it will be deja vue all over again

piplip87 wrote: »

I can pm you Marys number to give to Frank lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Hi Mary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 TurnItOn AndOffAgain

It's not because you're happy for example going to work by Luas everyday, that you would decline if someone was offering you to go by car instead.

He can be fine being single, but what if some kind of hot smart girl come to him he has to say “No, I've reached my hapiness level, sorry“.

And Mary should move on.

Try_harder wrote: »
    He might want a real relationship

I dont get it, sorry, thought they were in real relationship?

It's not because you're happy for example going to work by Luas everyday, that you would decline if someone was offering you to go by car instead.

He can be fine being single, but what if some kind of hot smart girl come to him he has to say “No, I've reached my hapiness level, sorry“.

And Mary should move on.

If what he told her was the truth- he cares about her and loves her, he wouldnt jump on next girl passing by knowing he will bri g Mary to deeper **** she is already in, no?

If what he told her was the truth- he cares about her and loves her, he wouldnt jump on next girl passing by knowing he will bri g Mary to deeper **** she is already in, no?

Ps- Mary is smart and hot chick :)

I dont get it, sorry, thought they were in real relationship?

They broke up 10 times! Mary was convenient for him until she wasn’t anymore.

bee06 wrote: »
    They broke up 10 times! Mary was convenient for him until she wasn’t anymore.

They didnt ... he broke up with her 10 times, she hasnt done it once ...

Ps- Mary is smart and hot chick :)

I have a feeling you are Mary and this must be hard to hear. But Mary isn’t that smart if she kept taking back someone who kept breaking up with her.

Just to add bit of info- they are both part of small Dublin community where everybody knows everybody so its imppssible to avoid each other as well as none of them want to cut contact with community as its their lifestyle

They didnt ... he broke up with her 10 times, she hasnt done it once ...

You missed the point of my post. A real relationship doesn’t end 10 times. It doesn’t matter who was doing the breaking up.

• Advertisement

bee06 wrote: »
    I have a feeling you are Mary and this must be hard to hear. But Mary isn’t that smart if she kept taking back someone who kept breaking up with her.

If I am Mary or not, thats irrelevant Id say as that doesnt really matter ... the truth is that Mary would do anything for John , for sure

Advertisement