Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between A3 and A4?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RowanHarley

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    Pm? Power meter? I just use heartrate, might invest in a power meter later down the line but now it's just not worth it, still have to upgrade to a better wheelset

Same. My wheels are only fulcrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

What do you mean by this? Yes, I'm a junior. It's just that the thought has been going through my head a lot. At times, I feel well able to be an A3 rider, but at other times I feel like A4 is my place. An idea is go into A3 then if needed, drop down to A4, and stay there for the year (because I won't be allowed upgrade according to CI rules)

Apologies, maybe rules have changed but once you came out of U16 and became a Junior you had to race at A3 level, hence my comment.

If you have not raced and have a choice then most coaches will advise you to start at A4 and learn your craft. Racing is mostly about tactics and it takes time to learn how to get, and hold, position in a race as well as when to follow breaks. FTP is of limited use if you waste all your power chasing down breaks.

I once read one racer sum up racing as all about conserving energy for the right moment.

Irrespective, my advice is jump in, the buzz will have you hooked and A3/A4 wont matter too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,019 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Your wheels don't matter.

Lumen wrote: »
    Your wheels don't matter.

Well there's a big difference between my wheels and any form of deep section wheels. Deep section wheels are handy for A4 races as many of them are flat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Once the vehicle is in road worthy condition, the engine is the most important thing. Focus on the engine. only return to the vehicle when you feel the engine is performing at its best.

• Advertisement

Well there's a big difference between my wheels and any form of deep section wheels. Deep section wheels are handy for A4 races as many of them are flat.

In an A4 race, if the wheels are the deciding factor of getting into A3, then you are probably not ready for A3. Plenty of people winning races in A4 on Askiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,019 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Well there's a big difference between my wheels and any form of deep section wheels..
    There are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

There are not.

You are forgetting about the go faster soumd they make.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Wheels are a big upgrade but in no way essential in A3/A4 races.

Well, I've got another week or 2 to make up my mind, so I want to make sure I make the right decision.

Why? Is it on the CAO application form?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

You are very young to be looking to have top equipment. The main thing is you go out and ride your bike, get the skills necessary for riding in groups, cross wind etc. There is nothing wrong with basic equipment when starting out. If you are strong on basic equipment you will be strong on better equipment....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There are not.
    maybe his wheels aren't actually round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

maybe his wheels aren't actually round?

Is that a metaphor or am I missing something?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Why? Is it on the CAO application form?

Nope, have to contact CI before my first race

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

Nope, have to contact CI before my first race

what race are you planning on starting at??

what race are you planning on starting at??

Markievicz Cup, then boyne gp and hopefully Rás Maigheo

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

Invest in some decent training, if you really want to spend money get yerself a power meter. Put some structure to your training and you'll see a fairly big jump in fitness within 3 months.

The majority of A4 lads are training without any structure or reason and just giving it a lash at the weekend without ever really getting any better.

DKmac wrote: »
    The majority of A4 lads are training without any structure or reason and just giving it a lash at the weekend without ever really getting any better.

Stop telling everyone my training secrets :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 carnivorecc

I raced as a Junior for the last two seasons. There is a massive difference between A3 and A4. Juniors capable of winning A1 races are in A3 and only a handful of senior A3s will be in the top ten of a typical Sunday race. If you want to compete in races like the Junior Tour I highly recommend you to race as A3. I don't even use a heart rate monitor and won open races last year ;)

DKmac wrote: »
    Invest in some decent training, if you really want to spend money get yerself a power meter. Put some structure to your training and you'll see a fairly big jump in fitness within 3 months.

Well like I'm doing a British cycling training plan but not sure if it's doing me much good tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

i don't post on here very often but i read the threads quiet often .There is a lot of different opinion on where you should race and personally i think for a junior , A3 is the way to go , after the first few races , with little bit of training you'll be fine . like most honest cyclists , you'll have bad days , probably more often than good but that's cycling you'll love it

However what i really want to say is don't get sucked into the whole marketing speel around cycling equipment , there is nothing at all wrong with fulcrum wheels and in fact most of the low/ mid range stuff is perfectly fine for racing at our level . A good head is the most important thing

I was over at the tour of flanders 2 years ago and was looking at the ladies bikes , the guy I was with owns a bike shop [very good one] said he would not be able to sell some of the stuff they were using as guy here would feel it wasn't good enough

I raced as a Junior for the last two seasons. There is a massive difference between A3 and A4. Juniors capable of winning A1 races are in A3 and only a handful of senior A3s will be in the top ten of a typical Sunday race. If you want to compete in races like the Junior Tour I highly recommend you to race as A3. I don't even use a heart rate monitor and won open races last year ;)

Just out of interest, what were you like going into your first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 carnivorecc

Just out of interest, what were you like going into your first year?

I won races as an U16 but as a first year junior I struggled. I didn't finish races such as Des Hanlon and didn't score any ranking points until Oldcastle GP (late July). My endurance was pretty weak and I was just making up the numbers in most races. If you haven't raced a lot before you'll find it difficult and don't expect to be getting many results.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well like I'm doing a British cycling training plan but not sure if it's doing me much good tbh

If it involves jiffy bags and inhalers I'd stay clear.

A few people swear by trainerroad

Weepsie wrote: »
    If it involves jiffy bags and inhalers I'd stay clear.

A few people swear by trainerroad

Not forgetting about the poor young lad who died from too much adreneline. Over training is a big risk at such a young age as they don't have the smarts to know when to back off and rest viewing it as time wasted rather than condition gained. Granted that poor chap came from a family that had a history or heart conditions but there are plenty that didn't. My view of the "elite" training program by the Brits is that it should only be administered by a qualified coach and certainly not followed by a youth alone. That's too risky.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Not forgetting about the poor young lad who died from too much adreneline. Over training is a big risk at such a young age as they don't have the smarts to know when to back off and rest viewing it as time wasted rather than condition gained. Granted that poor chap came from a family that had a history or heart conditions but there are plenty that didn't. My view of the "elite" training program by the Brits is that it should only be administered by a qualified coach and certainly not followed by a youth alone. That's too risky.

I wouldn't exactly call it "elite". It was a lot of zone 3/zone 4 efforts with some slow rpm stuff.

Well apparently I can drop down to A4 later in the season if I start in A3 but it doesn't work the opposite way around. I've stuck a poll up there so I can get a right idea of what you think.

I wouldn't exactly call it "elite". It was a lot of zone 3/zone 4 efforts with some slow rpm stuff.

Believe it or not thats pretty much all you need. If you have the ability to arrive at a vital point in the race fresh then thats the advantage. Its being able to produce z3 and z4 consistently without draining the tank and arriving at the small z4 and z5 points with the freshness to pit out your max that really counts.
    Some people could bang out big watts no problem but cant get anywhere close to that after 1.5hrs to 2hrs racing because they struggle to push out tempo pace consistently for that period.

Well apparently I can drop down to A4 later in the season if I start in A3 but it doesn't work the opposite way around. I've stuck a poll up there so I can get a right idea of what you think.

Take A3 its a free upgrade you wont get again.

• Advertisement

Take A3 its a free upgrade you wont get again.

Advertisement