Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade 1Ups replica cabs thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looks like the stand they are selling will be essential, if anyone except children are going to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Japanese arcade stool, be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Really thought someone was going to make a bad joke about the girl being on her knees........Nevermind haha , but yeah seriously these are way smaller than I thought they'd be

• Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is exactly what IKEA Lack tables are for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

banie01 wrote: »
    This is exactly what IKEA Lack tables are for ;)

or two Lacks maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sure, we were turning the Lacks into arcade machines!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

Am I only the only mother****er in here who got out his measuring tape and measured 4 feet high? Shame on ye for thinking they'd be a lot bigger! :P

Doge wrote: »
    Am I only the only mother****er in here who got out his measuring tape and measured 4 feet high? Shame on ye for thinking they'd be a lot bigger! :P

I only use real units,
    metric

Master of the Universe

I only use real units,
    metric

I generally use metric but ****ing hate metres as a measurement.

Feet are great as they have a relatable size, a foot. Twenty feet? Ah, twenty of my feet.

Wtf is a metre? A little over half a person? How is that a measurement?

Any time I've used that argument with people for metric they generally go 'its three feet' - well then just use feet ffs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Wow I didn't think these cabs would be so small. I was expecting something like the Space Invaders cab in Token where I have to duck to see the screen. Nope, much smaller. Suppose it isn't all bad as it's more likely to fit in a bedroom or something.

ymGBkvO.jpg

1KreVmP.jpg

Is that your lady friend? You've done well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd nearly cut the bottom off and use it as a bartop.

J Mysterio wrote: »

She's a friend of Metal Jesus Rocks and is his videos quite a bit.

She even has her own retro gaming shop in the States!

I only use real units,
    metric

I think I had to convert to metric also when I measured as the measuring tape I have in that room is metric only. A friend gave it to me as a novelty gift one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

J Mysterio wrote: »
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    Wow I didn't think these cabs would be so small. I was expecting something like the Space Invaders cab in Token where I have to duck to see the screen. Nope, much smaller. Suppose it isn't all bad as it's more likely to fit in a bedroom or something.

ymGBkvO.jpg

1KreVmP.jpg

I wish, but only because that would imply that would be my game room and I wouldn't say no to bookshelves of games and rare consoles such as a Virtual Boy and Hello Kitty Dreamcast.

As Doge says she's a friend of Metal Jesus. She's a big fan of Pokemon, WonderSwan, Amiibos and Japanese Imports! Knows her stuff so it's always interesting when she's in his videos. There was a 20 minute video about fake Nintendo cartridges that was interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

already a youtube video on how to use the cab with a rasp pi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09DQCOr6zQM
    & there will be a future one on using a Pandora's box

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

o1s1n wrote:
    I generally use metric but ****ing hate metres as a measurement.

o1s1n wrote:
    Feet are great as they have a relatable size, a foot. Twenty feet? Ah, twenty of my feet.

o1s1n wrote:
    Wtf is a metre? A little over half a person? How is that a measurement?

o1s1n wrote:
    Any time I've used that argument with people for metric they generally go 'its three feet' - well then just use feet ffs!!

Rightttt... Except it has little relation to the length of human feet in reality, unless you are shaquil O'Neill :D + it is hardly a standard. Better would be to go by hands, at least they're close dimensionally.

Sorry had to comment here on that. The setups on offer today are fantastic, really reviving the genre

frasr wrote: »
    already a youtube video on how to use the cab with a rasp pi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09DQCOr6zQM
    & there will be a future one on using a Pandora's box

The video we've all been waiting for!

Worth noting that he says the joysticks on the Arcade1UP are absolute muck also.

I wonder what I might be able to do with the spinner based Tempest machine?
    Could be interesting, I guess.
    But it's a lot of money, in the initial layout, for a MDF box and a monitor, with some graphics applied.
    I think a compact form factor PC might be better, for me at least, to use at the heart of one of these, certainly for the purposes I'd want.
    Then, in would go Tempest 2000 via emulation, and Super Hexagon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But it's a lot of money, in the initial layout, for a MDF box and a monitor, with some graphics applied.
    I think a compact form factor PC might be better, for me at least, to use at the heart of one of these, certainly for the purposes I'd want.
    Then, in would go Tempest 2000 via emulation, and Super Hexagon!

I'm exactly the same. I can't justify buying one just to rip the guts out. €400 for a wooden box with an lcd monitor in it? Nah :(

Master of the Universe

Be better spent trying to save a little extra and buy a Dinoking I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Inviere wrote: »
    I'm exactly the same. I can't justify buying one just to rip the guts out. €400 for a wooden box with an lcd monitor in it? Nah :(

yeah something like this that you just your own Pi or PC

https://www.recroommasters.com/19-Xtension-Alpha-Cade-for-Raspberry-Pi-and-PC-p/rm-xt-alpha-emulation.htm

edit: ah you also need a monitor as well

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cybersausage

I got the street fighter cab pre ordered for €300.. there was a 25% off all loot offer in GameStop on the day. I've ordered all the gear yer man has added in the video.. The pi, Flirc case, sticks/buttons, amp, 64gb card and HDMI board. It's working out about €450 for the lot. I could probably cancel my pre order and buy a flat pack bartop shell, monitor and speakers and save a few quid and have a better quality build.. not sure what to do now..

I've pre-ordered the Space Invaders one as I love the art and I have thrown everything from the mod video into Amazon except the sticks/buttons
    my question is do I need to add another button to use select on the Pi or is there another solution as I don't want to go into too much modding using drills etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Skerries wrote: »
    yeah something like this that you just your own Pi or PC

https://www.recroommasters.com/19-Xtension-Alpha-Cade-for-Raspberry-Pi-and-PC-p/rm-xt-alpha-emulation.htm

edit: ah you also need a monitor as well

Looks a little cramped for 2 players

Master of the Universe

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Looks a little cramped for 2 players

Just generally horrific looking tbh. Awful button layout, 16:9 monitor, even the colouring is ugly. Anyone who knows anything about design knows you don't put the three primary colours together like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just generally horrific looking tbh. Awful button layout, 16:9 monitor, even the colouring is ugly. Anyone who knows anything about design knows you don't put the three primary colours together like that.

LOL - don't pull any punches @o1s1n

o1s1n wrote: »

Sir Clive Sinclair disagrees

sinclair_zx_spectrum_original.jpg?x=442&y=293&crop=1

No maligning the Spectrum now!

Master of the Universe

deadl0ck wrote: »
    LOL - don't pull any punches @o1s1n

In my defense, I'd drank a bottle of wine before posting that :D

Skerries wrote: »
    Sir Clive Sinclair disagrees

There's a reason he included thr strip of green ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭Inviere

Maaaan, that Defender button layout :(

Advertisement