Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade 1Ups replica cabs thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭Doge

Heres how the cab looks now:

I decided not to bother putting the speakers on the front of the cab in case they get damaged afterall.

Have some speaker grills ordered from AliExpress just to give them protection.

The speakers are truly full range to the extent I had to roll off some of the high frequencies using the equaliser in the Realtek control panel! The bass is present and natural sounding also.

The volume is so loud that I have the slider down to half way in windows, and even at that I have the external volume knob turned a fifth of the way up!

Some difference over the other amp I bought.

Next up is cable management, putting hinges on the back door, and possibly putting red vinyl tape over the T-molding.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭razor12345

Can you give a guide to how much you have spent to date on this, it's looks class
    Doge wrote: »

I decided not to bother putting the speakers on the front of the cab in case they get damaged afterall.

The speakers are truly full range to the extent I had to roll off some of the high frequencies using the equaliser in the Realtek control panel! The bass is present and natural sounding also.

The volume is so loud that I have the slider down to half way in windows, and even at that I have the external volume knob turned a fifth of the way up!

Next up is cable management, putting hinges on the back door, and possibly putting red vinyl tape over the T-molding.

razor12345 wrote: »
    Can you give a guide to how much you have spent to date on this, it's looks class

Thanks for the kind words! To be honest I never add up the total cost of parts for projects in case it scares me, but ill try and get a total for you tomorrow. ;)

Here's the cost of parts without shipping included:

Buttons, joysticks, daisy chain cable - €85.58
    SMSL 50 Amplifier - €26.89
    2x Dayton Audio PC83-4 Full Range Speakers €25.90
    Core i3 Motherboard including CPU - €46.88
    8GB DDR3 RAM - €24.61
    120GB SSD - €21.20
    Nvidia GTX750TI (optional) - €64.46
    300W Mini-ITX Power Supply - €8.14
    Double Side Sticky Pads - €6.98
    illimunated Momentary Switch - €8.20. (bought in a hurry from Amazon)
    2x USB Encoders with crimped cables - €14.75
    LCD Monitor controller Board - €33.84
    PCB Feet €2
    1 Spray can of Rust-oleum - €10

Total cost of parts:
    €379.43
    Cost of Cabinet:
    €200

Total cost excluding shipping:
    €579.42 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

8GB DDR3 RAM - €24.61
    120GB SSD - €21.20
    PCB Feet €2

Total cost of parts:
    €379.43
    Cost of Cabinet:
    €200

Think I'll go with the Raspberry Pi option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I might be wrong but I always thought it was better to have the external volume knob higher and the source volume lower. Less chance of blowing them I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Think I'll go with the Raspberry Pi option

You get what you pay for. An i3 with 8GB of ram, and a 750Ti walks all over a Pi, and not just in terms of what games are available. The end product on screen from a Pi, versus something emulated on pc and jazzed up with shaders etc, is hugely different. I don't think I could use vanilla emulation from a Pi again. I've two of these cabs (still sitting in they're boxes!), and if I go down the road of converting them, I'll 100% go the route Doge took.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I might be wrong but I always thought it was better to have the external volume knob higher and the source volume lower. Less chance of blowing them I thought.

Yeah you're right,.I'm going to turn it down to a quarter on the pc as it's ridiculously still loud with the knob cranked up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah you're right,.I'm going to turn it down to a quarter on the pc as it's ridiculously still loud with the knob cranked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Inviere wrote: »
    You get what you pay for. An i3 with 8GB of ram, and a 750Ti walks all over a Pi, and not just in terms of what games are available. The end product on screen from a Pi, versus something emulated on pc and jazzed up with shaders etc, is hugely different. I don't think I could use vanilla emulation from a Pi again. I've two of these cabs (still sitting in they're boxes!), and if I go down the road of converting them, I'll 100% go the route Doge took.

What set up do you use on the PC for the emulation and does it boot up the PC straight to the emulation
    Do you have to have a seperate button to power on the PC and does it boot any faster to the emulator than Windows?
    I would have access to older SFF Dell PC's that I maybe could swap my Pi out for

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    What set up do you use on the PC for the emulation and does it boot up the PC straight to the emulation
    Do you have to have a seperate button to power on the PC and does it boot any faster to the emulator than Windows?
    I would have access to older SFF Dell PC's that I maybe could swap my Pi out for

I use a general purpose sff build for emulation, but as it’s general purpose, I prefer it not to boot straight to emulation (though yes that’s easily done). You can configure pc’s to boot once they’re powered on (bios setting), so no need for a power button. Boot time using an ssd is 5 to 7 seconds.

For emulation I primarily use RetroArch, with Launchbox sitting on top to give me a nice clean GUI with scraped artwork, manuals, images, and videos (emumovies account). I use some dedicated emulators outside of RetroArch too, like Dolphin...but for a cab you’ll only want arcade roms so RetroArch with the Mame cores plus Launchbox running in big box mode would be perfect (presuming the cab isn’t running a crt).

Inviere wrote: »
    I use a general purpose sff build for emulation, but as it’s general purpose, I prefer it not to boot straight to emulation (though yes that’s easily done). You can configure pc’s to boot once they’re powered on (bios setting), so no need for a power button. Boot time using an ssd is 5 to 7 seconds.

Not all bios support booting on power detection unfortunately, so I'm stuck using the power button, but I like that power button,.it's like turning on a Ferrari! :)
    She purrs when the fans of the GPU spins up!

It does support booting after a power failure though.

Skerries you just need to solder extra long wires to a momentary switch, crimp with female SIL crimps at the other end and use a plastic connector and connect to the 2 power pins on the motherboard.
    Or you can buy premade ones online that have the smaller switches for PCs, you could always cut those off and solder on a bigger switch like mine.

As for booting straight to the front end,.I went a bit hardcore and used the front end as the windows shell with a registry edit.

This replaces explorer.exe meaning all that loads is a blank screen behind the emulator, no task bar etc.

To configure or run apps I need to hit ctrl alt del and click on new task in task manager.

I also changed the cursor to a single black pixel, which is extremely hard to see when you need to configure stuff actually!

I had a problem a few days ago where my Tiny7 image was giving out about activation instead of loading the front end first, but I got around that with Windows Loader. Seems to happen everyone with tiny7.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not all bios support booting on power detection unfortunately, so I'm stuck using the power button, but I like that power button,.it's like turning on a Ferrari! :)
    She purrs when the fans of the GPU spins up!

It does support booting after a power failure though.

Skerries you just need to solder extra long wires to a momentary switch, crimp with female SIL crimps at the other end and use a plastic connector and connect to the 2 power pins on the motherboard.
    Or you can buy premade ones online that have the smaller switches for PCs, you could always cut those off and solder on a bigger switch like mine.

As for booting straight to the front end,.I went a bit hardcore and used the front end as the windows shell with a registry edit.

This replaces explorer.exe meaning all that loads is a blank screen behind the emulator, no task bar etc.

To configure or run apps I need to hit ctrl alt del and click on new task in task manager.

I also changed the cursor to a single black pixel, which is extremely hard to see when you need to configure stuff actually!

I had a problem a few days ago where my Tiny7 image was giving out about activation instead of loading the front end first, but I got around that with Windows Loader. Seems to happen everyone with tiny7.
    I'm having flashbacks to my pre-Pi days!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm having flashbacks to my pre-Pi days!

Ah the good ol' days eh? :p

Not to hate on the Pi, it's a grand little thing, but has some hard limits.

Well worth it! It's epic

Where did you get cabinet from and approx how many hours to get it to final build?

Thanks again

8GB DDR3 RAM - €24.61
    120GB SSD - €21.20
    PCB Feet €2

Total cost of parts:
    €379.43
    Cost of Cabinet:
    €200

Well worth it! It's epic

Where did you get cabinet from and approx how many hours to get it to final build?

Thanks again

Got the cabinet from Gamestop.ie just before Christmas when they were only €200.
    I did it in drips and drabs and never really time anything, but i got the basic cabinet assembled in less than an hour before I left to go to Spain, that was on the 19th of December I think.

Modding it didn't take too long, i probably spent more time researching it online and ordering parts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Another broken deck protector delivered today. Are they thick or what? Send in cardboard with a don't bend sticker and everything would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Spied a stack of SF2 and Space Invaders cabs in Limerick TK Maxx just now. Priced at 400 bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Each? or for the whole stack??

Spied a stack of SF2 and Space Invaders cabs in Limerick TK Maxx just now. Priced at 400 bucks.

Going to have to check my local shop so.

• Advertisement

Going to have to check my local shop so.

They've a single Capcom cab in Swords at the knock down price of €399.99

Are these full size cab?
    They've a single Capcom cab in Swords at the knock down price of €399.99

Are these full size cab?

Nope, if you follow some of the links from earlier in this thread, or Google "Arcade 1ups" you'll see what they are like.

They're only 4 feet tall so they're "sit down" cabinets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

400 a pop.

I'm hoping nobody buys em and they end up in the clearance section for €40.

400 a pop.

I'm hoping nobody buys em and they end up in the clearance section for €40.

This one was barely visible, I'll have to keep an eye on it... then pounce!
    That said, I don't like SF2, so it'll definitely be getting converted into something more interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

They're only 4 feet tall so they're "sit down" cabinets.

For you maybe... :(

:pac:

Has anyone gutted an Asteroids one ?
    I'm thinking of building a more authentic looking asteroids machine.
    Would use the guts of a one up,Are they just a vga monitor yea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Are they just a vga monitor ?

Standard VGA panel - but the wiring from the small computer to the panel is a flat ribbon connector - not VGA. There are converters available to make it VGA/hdmi.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

Wishful thinking, but ill nip up a capcom one if they ever go below €200 - €400 is ridiculous

Advertisement