Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Les Miserables - Dublin 2018

Options
  • 14-02-2018 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

I heard on the Ronan Collins show yesterday that Colm Wilkinson is going to reprise his role as Jean Valjean in a production of Les Mis in Dublin this year.
    Did anybody else hear this or does anyone have any other information on it...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

He's in his mid 70's now, surely he's not playing valjean? all over it if he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Apparently, it's coming to the Bord Gais on 5th Dec until Jan 12th 2019.
    Doesn't mention CW however....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If anything it would be a cameo role like in the film. Tbh if he was Valjean it would put me off seeing it as it would be so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Caranica wrote: »
    If anything it would be a cameo role like in the film. Tbh if he was Valjean it would put me off seeing it as it would be so wrong.

I've seen him as Valjean, he was amazing.
    But at his age now I can't see this happening.

This is the best news I've heard all year.
    Not convinced about BGT as a venue for such a production but still.

• Advertisement

But I couldn't see him pitching up in Dublin for a 5 week run just to play the role of the Bishop.

But I couldn't see him pitching up in Dublin for a 5 week run just to play the role of the Bishop.

True but what other role could he play. Valjean is supposed to be strong and strapping and a lot younger than CW. You couldn't have such a beautiful tenor voice wasted on Thenardier and what else is there for a man of his age?

Tickets go on sale Monday 12th.

http://www.98fm.com/Les-Mis-The-Musical-Is-Coming-To-Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

True but what other role could he play. Valjean is supposed to be strong and strapping and a lot younger than CW. You couldn't have such a beautiful tenor voice wasted on Thenardier and what else is there for a man of his age?

Is the voice on the barricade traditionally a live part? could get him to record that if not. Nice nod to the original WE show and he doesn't have to be on the road. Hairspray did it with John Waters.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Is the voice on the barricade traditionally a live part? could get him to record that if not. Nice nod to the original WE show and he doesn't have to be on the road. Hairspray did it with John Waters.

Lovely thought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

I heard on the Ronan Collins show yesterday that Colm Wilkinson is going to reprise his role as Jean Valjean in a production of Les Mis in Dublin this year.
    Did anybody else hear this or does anyone have any other information on it...?

Omg I really hope this is true. Bought tickets earlier. I am obsessed with CW's voice and presence

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Aruba08 wrote: »
    Omg I really hope this is true. Bought tickets earlier. I am obsessed with CW's voice and presence

I thought tickets weren't on sale until Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    This!

Available for pre-sale today through your Bord Gáis Energy Rewards.

An email was sent out today.

Aruba08 wrote: »

Playing a man half his age? Really?

Playing a man half his age? Really?

I hope not! An over rated boring diva. I've seen umpteen productions of Les Mis including an excellent one in the Royal Theatre, Waterford a few years ago, and I've never been disappointed in any Valjean. I hope he doesn't belittle the cast by appearing at the end to give us a neverending Hooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

Oh no not playing Valjean, that would be weird. Id love to see him in any cameo appearance.

Yes I am a Bord Gais customer

Just bought himself an early Christmas Present. Looking forward to this!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I really want to see this, but don't want to book too far ahead as December is always a very busy month, so I'll have a better idea of my availability later in the year. In my experience it's rare that shows in Bord Gais sell out well ahead of time, but does anyone know how well this is currently selling and am I silly to wait to buy tickets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Just booked for Jan.'19 - went for Mid row of Stalls. Talk about in advance! Would say though this will be very popular and demand will be high. I remember seeing a production in the Point many years ago.
    When was this last staged in Ireland?

woodchuck wrote: »
    I really want to see this, but don't want to book too far ahead as December is always a very busy month, so I'll have a better idea of my availability later in the year. In my experience it's rare that shows in Bord Gais sell out well ahead of time, but does anyone know how well this is currently selling and am I silly to wait to buy tickets?
    Just keep an eye on Ticketmaster. That’ll tell you what sales are like. The seats seem to be selling pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Got mine presale with bird gais energy. Stalls, around G I think...6.60 booking fee is bit ridiculous tho

Hmm I guess I should check out ticketmaster so :/ I figured it would be grand since it's so far away and running for so long, but don't want to miss out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

The seat map is up now for all shows, wasn't there this morning.

Saturday shows going quickly, <10 seats left for the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

coxy123 wrote: »
    I remember seeing a production in the Point many years ago.
    When was this last staged in Ireland?

Late 1990s, '98 I think.
    I first saw it in Dublin in 1993 and was blown away.

I got tickets today for a Saturday show, I know it's madness to even think about December in mid March, but I wanted to get good seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Got Row b in circle for Sunday in December. Happy with that. Wanted good seats.

"Finally" booked! Feels weird booking so far in advance, but even for a mid-week show I was only able to get a middle-ish seat in row W of the stalls, so glad I didn't delay too long :P It's on the calendar so I don't forget!!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Killian Donnolly coming to Dublin to play Valjean

https://twitter.com/BazBam/status/987083058896691201

• Advertisement

Marje wrote: »
    Killian Donnolly coming to Dublin to play Valjean

https://twitter.com/BazBam/status/987083058896691201

That's great news. Killian is an amazing Valjean and he's been fab in Billy Elliot, Memphis and Kinky Boots too.

Advertisement