Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyne GP 2018

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

sullzz wrote: »
    Whats that race like ? Is it a lumpy one ?

Nasty drag to the finish and will catch out loads as it gets tricky about halfway up but levels then to the line. It is a technical run to thelast 1.5km and if not in top 15-20 4-5km out forget it.

Finish is 1km at 3.2%, not for a sprinter but if you could hang on till last 100 then bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

dahat wrote: »
    Nasty drag to the finish and will catch out loads as it gets tricky about halfway up but levels then to the line. It is a technical run to thelast 1.5km and if not in top 15-20 4-5km out forget it.

Hmmm decisions ..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yeah one of the lads was in the Boyne race and said only about 60 there , i wonder if the lack of one day licences sorted things out , the Clonard race yesterday id say was only between 90 and 100 and was safe , although it was an ouf and back race on a main road .

Damn it, after being unable to breathe mist of the night, I vomited lung butter for 30 minutes this morning and now seem to be fine. Taken after yourself with a glass of red to make me feel better for not going.

Anyone know how the race went, did they stick together or where there any breaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

CramCycle wrote: »
    Damn it, after being unable to breathe mist of the night, I vomited lung butter for 30 minutes this morning and now seem to be fine. Taken after yourself with a glass of red to make me feel better for not going.

Anyone know how the race went, did they stick together or where there any breaks?

Next weekend for yourself ? Hard races both days in Leinster .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭wav1

There was a lone winner of the A4 race from our own Drogheda Wheelers.
    Only 43 in the A4 race,first Sunday of the season?
    Trend was downwards in all the races which is worrying to say the least.
    Racing licences are down by circa 20%

• Advertisement

Next weekend for yourself ? Hard races both days in Leinster .
    Alas no, unless I can get over to Carrick as I am out with family events that weekend.
    wav1 wrote: »
    Quite a change from last year
    While not great for organisers this weekend, it may be a blip. Alot of people might have been out after the snow or catching up on other things. I still know alot of people down the road from me who still have heavy snow all around them so are still only travelling where necessary.

A 20% license drop doesn't account for what looks like a 60%+ drop in riders. Was it the same everywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

I cant find any results for the Boyne GP anywhere! Anyone know where they might be?
    Thanks

I cant find any results for the Boyne GP anywhere! Anyone know where they might be?
    Thanks

From Twitter:

Sean McKenna wins
    Dave Wherity won A2
    Liam Curley won A3
    Eoin Feriter won A4
    #Stolen from Ger Campbells twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Raymzor

Well done on organising a great days racing. New car park worked well as it made approach to pub safer with a muck free road.

Were there many A3 & Juniors. Bunch did seem that much smaller than last year. Fair play to the group that got up the road. Hats off to the motor cycle marshal he did a great job.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Alas no, unless I can get over to Carrick as I am out with family events that weekend.

Quite a change from last year
    While not great for organisers this weekend, it may be a blip. Alot of people might have been out after the snow or catching up on other things. I still know alot of people down the road from me who still have heavy snow all around them so are still only travelling where necessary.

A 20% license drop doesn't account for what looks like a 60%+ drop in riders. Was it the same everywhere else?

A 20% licence drop has me puzzled, I'd have thought racing would grow for another few years yet.

Pre entry and no one day will level the A4 races to a manageable level i think, 80 riders is plenty for any A4 race. Maybe the press pushing A4 crashes week in week out has stopped lads taking the chance with a race licence.

• Advertisement

Raymzor wrote: »
    Well done on organising a great days racing. New car park worked well as it made approach to pub safer with a muck free road.

Were there many A3 & Juniors. Bunch did seem that much smaller than last year. Fair play to the group that got up the road. Hats off to the motor cycle marshal he did a great job.
    Approx numbers today from memory
    A4 43
    A2 48
    A3 67
    A1 43
    Cant answer the drop offs to be honest.Probably a combination of stuff
    Weather.Lads behind where they should be not racing yet
    More people employed.No time to ride their bikes.
    Bad press in the past re crashes and stuff in A4 races.
    Maybe it being mothers day today.
    Haven't a real answer just my own notions.I hope the trend changes or I would be very worried about the kind of numbers events will attract late summer.

Thanks
    www.stickybottle.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Approx numbers today from memory
    A4 43
    A2 48
    A3 67
    A1 43
    Cant answer the drop offs to be honest.Probably a combination of stuff
    Weather.Lads behind where they should be not racing yet
    More people employed.No time to ride their bikes.
    Bad press in the past re crashes and stuff in A4 races.
    Haven't a real answer just my own notions.I hope the trend changes or I would be very worried about the kind of numbers events will attract late summer.

While the numbers might be disappointing from a revenue point of view, there is no doubt that the quality of racing and safety factor is potentially improving; I raced both days, one of the lucky ones who could make the races. Today's event in particular was a joy to compete on compared to the last 10 years of early season carnage and hand wringing/carbon smashing.
    A credit once again to wav and the organisers, well done.
    Never done that circuit before- one of the locals said it was like the Donore circuit stretched out a bit; very true. No place to hide either, bar in the gutter on the main road in the headwind.
    I look at things differently but having a field of 60ish on open roads provides a great racing experience.
    Gorey on the other hand will come around quick enough.. .

If I was an A4 I'd quite happily pay an extra €5 to race if fields were limited to 80, it makes for far safer racing.

This is also possible, not sure about racing yesterday but even without the chest infection, i would have been hard pressed. like alot of people to dodge out for a few hours on mothers day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 carnivorecc

Raymzor wrote: »

Yeah a few NRP riders were there anyway. A new team 'The Sports Room Racing' (I think they're called?) were there. They looked very strong, in all the breakaways and 3 riders in the top ten impressive for a new team!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Michelin

Yeah a few NRP riders were there anyway. A new team 'The Sports Room Racing' (I think they're called?) were there. They looked very strong, in all the breakaways and 3 riders in the top ten impressive for a new team!

I noticed this team as well in the A3/Junior race, mostly juniors by the looks of it. One of them was away in a two man break for a long stretch of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 carnivorecc

Michelin wrote: »
    I noticed this team as well in the A3/Junior race, mostly juniors by the looks of it. One of them was away in a two man break for a long stretch of the race.

Sorry meant the A3 race. There was one of their riders in the A2 who was also top 10. I wonder who's behind this team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Keogh_Cian

Sorry meant the A3 race. There was one of their riders in the A2 who was also top 10. I wonder who's behind this team?

Hey lads,

I've created the team over the winter months. I'm 18 and was in the race today (A3 numbers). We are a group of guys who are sometimes underdogs when it comes to results. I approached my coach over the offseason during my set up plans and he thought it was a good idea so we came together and he is now the team manager also.

Would appreciate if you checked the team out on Instagram or Facebook @TheSportsRoomRacing

Cheers guys
    Cian

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Poor numbers in the race yesterday was likely a combo of poor weather and mothers day.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

How are the guys who fell? Happened behind me somewhere so not sure who fell or what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Bri981

Hi guys, I made a little video of the Boyne GP yesterday, it’s up on Athy Wheelers Facebook Page, my brother was riding A2 so was just leaving as A1s set off. Have footage of A2 and A4 race. Hope to make a similar video throughout the season capturing some action and all the finishes from A1-A4. Have all the finishes from Ras Naomh Finian on Saturday also. Next week heading to Kilmessan GP, then the Des Hanlon and Gorey 3 Day, will try and post videos every Sunday in the race treads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bri981

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Great race and well run by Ger and his Drogheda Wheelers squad. Thanks for enabling us all to race. Or in my case get dropped 5k out...

must train harder :-) or keep questioning the age gaps in A3 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Keogh_Cian wrote: »
    Hey lads,

I've created the team over the winter months. I'm 18 and was in the race today (A3 numbers). We are a group of guys who are sometimes underdogs when it comes to results. I approached my coach over the offseason during my set up plans and he thought it was a good idea so we came together and he is now the team manager also.

Would appreciate if you checked the team out on Instagram or Facebook @TheSportsRoomRacing

Cheers guys
    Cian

You young lads certainly had a fine race yesterday, Nothing was getting away without you in it. I feckin hate Juniors :) Raced the 2 days at the weekend, smaller fields but certainly doesn't make it any easier. Clonards new sign-on location is fantastic and as ever DW put on a great day's racing. It's a super circuit, legs are in shreds today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fattymoon

Bri981 wrote: »

Great video. Many thanks for sharing! keep them coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Keogh_Cian wrote: »
    Hey lads,

Cheers guys
    Cian

Goods work on setting up the team and good riding on Sunday.
    Although with 3 lads in the top 8, the days of being underdogs are over!

Advertisement