Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyne GP 2018

Options
  • 14-02-2018 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Hey
    Just wondering if this will follow the same format as last year?
    Cheers,
    Slo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭wav1

Hi all.
    Format will be exactly the same as last year.Sorry have been tied up of late but all good to go.Will post full details up here next week.One very definite change is that the A4 race is pre entry only as its the only way to control it with the new max 110 rider regulation.If by some small chance it doesn't fill I will also post here.Not sure if the entrys are live yet on the Cycling Ireland entry system but will check later.
    Wav

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Had my racing debut at this last year and enjoyed, will definitely be going back!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RowanHarley

Looks like a very fast-paced race, just looking at the A3's

Details of programme of events at Boyne GP Sun March 11th
    As its very early season please note the following

There will be NO one day licences as per new regulations
    Riders must have their new licence and numbers.PDF version on phone etc not acceptable anymore as per new regulations.
    Support cars must have 2 people in them as per new regulations.
    At present there is NO pre entry for any of the events as we are having real problems getting this set up on the C I website.
    the new 110 max rider rule will be in place for the A4 race..Worst case scenario we'll split it and try and run 2 x separate races but im hoping it wont be an issue.

Sign on Ryans Pub Gormanlough 5 km from Slane village on the R163
    Sign on opens at 9.00 am
    [We are currently working on trying to get an off road car park 1km from the sign on venue.Will advise when i have definite word
    Programme
    4 X Separate races as per the following
    10 .30 A2 Race 7 x laps 84k
    10.33 A4 race 5 x laps 60k

1.00pm A1 race 8 x laps 96k
    1.03pm A3 Race 6 x laps 72k

Prizes for the two earlier events will be presented as soon as A1 and A3 races are on the road..If i have forgotten anything just ask.

wav1 wrote: »
    Details of programme of events at Boyne GP Sun March 11th
    As its very early season please note the following

There will be NO one day licences as per new regulations
    Riders must have their new licence and numbers.PDF version on phone etc not acceptable anymore as per new regulations.
    Support cars must have 2 people in them as per new regulations.
    At present there is NO pre entry for any of the events as we are having real problems getting this set up on the C I website.
    the new 110 max rider rule will be in place for the A4 race..Worst case scenario we'll split it and try and run 2 x separate races but im hoping it wont be an issue.

Sign on Ryans Pub Gormanlough 5 km from Slane village on the R163
    Sign on opens at 9.00 am
    [We are currently working on trying to get an off road car park 1km from the sign on venue.Will advise when i have definite word
    Programme
    4 X Separate races as per the following
    10 .30 A2 Race 7 x laps 84k
    10.33 A4 race 5 x laps 60k

1.00pm A1 race 8 x laps 96k
    1.03pm A3 Race 6 x laps 72k

Prizes for the two earlier events will be presented as soon as A1 and A3 races are on the road..If i have forgotten anything just ask.

Was hoping to go to this now but it's on the day after markievicz cup :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Was hoping to go to this now but it's on the day after markievicz cup :(

What better way to build fitness than racing 2 days in a row 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Hi, just wondering if anybody could share their thoughts on the course? I've never attended the race before. It looks to run on part of the course that the cycleways cup runs on?

https://www.strava.com/segments/4197837

Looks up and down, hilly? Tough course?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Chumpski wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anybody could share their thoughts on the course? I've never attended the race before. It looks to run on part of the course that the cycleways cup runs on?

Thanks!

Nothing major in terms of hills but enough to split a group easily enough. Fast enough descent on the main road just before a sharp left hand and up a drag towards the finish. Nothing steep or long but enough to hurt. Not a course that stands out as tough on paper but I dont think I’ve ever finished it wishing for more.

Chumpski wrote: »

Thanks!

Hard little course , i wouldnt call it hilly there are a couple of little kicks in it , there is a nice little drag to the Start / finish each lap , make sure you stay near the front throughout as its an easy course to get dropped on .
    Last year the A4 started with just over 120 lads and after the 1st lap it was down to 80.

sullzz wrote: »
    Hard little course , i wouldnt call it hilly there are a couple of little kicks in it , there is a nice little drag to the Start / finish each lap , make sure you stay near the front throughout as its an easy course to get dropped on .
    Last year the A4 started with just over 120 lads and after the 1st lap it was down to 80.

Think there was a crash towards the start though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

How did the winter go for you? Fancy your chances of getting a result this year?

Think there was a crash towards the start though.

Start of the 2nd lap , it was a Boardsie that came down on the 1st left turn , that didnt break the group up though .

dahat wrote: »
    How did the winter go for you? Fancy your chances of getting a result this year?

Pretty **** winter to be honest , between work and getting sick i couldnt get any consistency. Ill use the early races to get fit and hopefuly peak mid season . Hope to get a couple of results , an upgrade is the target but well see .
    How bout yourself , did you get a good one in ? How you feeling about A3 ?

All good to go.Start times as per earlier post.
    We have secured some off road parking at jc sheridans/glanbia yard which is exactly 1km from the sign on venue further out the r163 in the direction of Kilberry/Kells.We ask that vehicles are parked out there.Not ideal but the usual field is ''damp'' to say the least.No parking whatsoever on the circuit.Garda will be in attendance both to help with the safe running of the event and to ensure theres no crazy parking.Please do not park on grass verges at peoples homes and be very careful as regards calls of nature.
    I would love to have better parking facilities but can only do our best.Weather looks ok for Sunday.Everything else is good to go,but just once again please park sensibly.We have guys manning the car park yard for the day.
    Thanks wav

Pretty **** winter to be honest , between work and getting sick i couldnt get any consistency. Ill use the early races to get fit and hopefuly peak mid season . Hope to get a couple of results , an upgrade is the target but well see .
    How bout yourself , did you get a good one in ? How you feeling about A3 ?

Winter was harsh for alot of us but mid season peak is a good plan.

I was sickened to get upgraded but soldiered on till I shattered my shoulder a month ago so I'm way back now and likely won't race till July.
    As for A3 it's something I'm not overly looking forward to, I'll give it a go and see if I can race an d enjoy it.

There is always Club leagues to enjoy if open racing is a sufferfest.

Winter was harsh for alot of us but mid season peak is a good plan.

I was sickened to get upgraded but soldiered on till I shattered my shoulder a month ago so I'm way back now and likely won't race till July.
    As for A3 it's something I'm not overly looking forward to, I'll give it a go and see if I can race an d enjoy it.

There is always Club leagues to enjoy if open racing is a sufferfest.

Oh no , i didnt know you had that injury , thats serious bad luck , at a nasty time too .
    Hope the healing is coming along well.

Oh no , i didnt know you had that injury , thats serious bad luck , at a nasty time too .
    Hope the healing is coming along well.

The turbo is on the go so hopefully I won't lose too much from it.

What a way to avoid Junior A3's!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Start of the 2nd lap , it was a Boardsie that came down on the 1st left turn , that didnt break the group up though .

Bloody internet warriors :pac:

On a more serious note, negotiating mothers day release at the minute, hope to see a good crowd there. Is there anywhere in Slane you could drop a mother off for two hours and pretend it is a present?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

CramCycle wrote: »
    Bloody internet warriors :pac:

On a more serious note, negotiating mothers day release at the minute, hope to see a good crowd there. Is there anywhere in Slane you could drop a mother off for two hours and pretend it is a present?
    Slane Castle visitors' centre is just down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

http://www.slanecastle.ie/

@CramCycle,
    Tell Henry, I said Hello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Nice pub grub in Slane Castle for after too - get someone else to drive and book in for he Whiskey tour ;)

Home race for me but unfortunately I wont be around! Have found memories of my first ever race there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nothing to do with the race but F U chest infection. I don't think I have had a proper one before, it feels like I am having a panic attack constantly, so turning up for this would be a bad idea (and the mother in previous posts said it isn't happening)

CramCycle wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the race but F U chest infection. I don't think I have had a proper one before, it feels like I am having a panic attack constantly, so turning up for this would be a bad idea (and the mother in previous posts said it isn't happening)

Had planned to do this , last night spent most of the night awake with a stomach bug on the loo . Had already signed up for Ras Naomh Finian in Clonard so decided to do it anyway . Was expecting to get dropped by the time we hit Kinnegad but somehow had a decent race , with 1km to go i said id try and jump , i got a small gap then my left calf and right hamstring seriously cramped and i couldnt turn the pedals , more than likely from the lack of fluids in my body .
    Left calf is still fooked so with a bottle of red beside me i have decided im going to give tomorrow a miss .

Had planned to do this , last night spent most of the night awake with a stomach bug on the loo . Had already signed up for Ras Naomh Finian in Clonard so decided to do it anyway . Was expecting to get dropped by the time we hit Kinnegad but somehow had a decent race , with 1km to go i said id try and jump , i got a small gap then my left calf and right hamstring seriously cramped and i couldnt turn the pedals , more than likely from the lack of fluids in my body .
    Left calf is still fooked so with a bottle of red beside me i have decided im going to give tomorrow a miss .

The urge to jump away is always strong within a cyclist!!!

A good starting point for you all the same.

The urge to jump away is always strong within a cyclist!!!

A good starting point for you all the same.

Yeah , hopefully try get something out of Kilmessan next week , although its one of the toughest races .

I believe there was only about 60 or so in the A4 field today .

I believe there was only about 60 or so in the A4 field today .

Boyne?

Wonder did Ras Na Luimni fill up, 137 to dentist last year. It wasy first race and a scary ass experience I tell you.

Boyne?

Wonder did Ras Na Luimni fill up, 137 to dentist last year. It wasy first race and a scary ass experience I tell you.

Yeah one of the lads was in the Boyne race and said only about 60 there , i wonder if the lack of one day licences sorted things out , the Clonard race yesterday id say was only between 90 and 100 and was safe , although it was an ouf and back race on a main road .

Yeah one of the lads was in the Boyne race and said only about 60 there , i wonder if the lack of one day licences sorted things out , the Clonard race yesterday id say was only between 90 and 100 and was safe , although it was an ouf and back race on a main road .

Quite likely that has sorted A4 plus most are pre entry as well. Could be a good year to be be a strong A4.
    Local race here on Paddy's Day is pre entry for 80 only.

• Advertisement

Quite likely that has sorted A4 plus most are pre entry as well. Could be a good year to be be a strong A4.
    Local race here on Paddy's Day is pre entry for 80 only.

Whats that race like ? Is it a lumpy one ?

Advertisement