Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Biggest weekend

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

I have a free ticket for today (Saturday) if anyone wants it, I can email it to you. The line-up on the smaller stage is savage today - Dream Wife, Shame, Superorganism...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Watching Taylor Swifts performance and some of the lip synching is criminal to say the least.....

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

swansea was the place to go ! Seems like a very good value festival we would never see a line up like that here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Birneybau wrote: »
    Also, £5:20 for a pint of 3.8% Carlsberg *unsatisfied pukeface*
    the IPA was nice tho.

Sound was better later on. Was down the front for the valley boys and sound was lovely and loud.
    Difference between Beck in Belfast and 3arena was very noticeable.

Non antagonistically asking, what do you mean by the difference? I was at both

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Phew! Was worried Phoebe Bridgers and Courtney Barnett would clash

Phoebe Bridges ended up switching with Touts so I missed her, sick as a small hospital.

Enjoyed it overall but Beck was far and away the highlight, absolutely stunning set - loved the band all doing their individual covers especially the guitarist doing a bit of alternative ulster.

Worst bar staff ever though and only having the IPA at one of the bars was stupid.

Really enjoyed Public Service Broadcasting too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Penfailed

The fringe event in the Limelight on Thursday night was great.  Therapy? were absolutely brilliant.  The sound was a bit ropey for Django Django.  We arrived up on Friday to Public Service Broadcasting taking to the stage.  They played a great set.  Courtney Barnett was amazing.  Enjoyed The Breeders.  Manics were good background music whilst catching up with friends and Beck was fan-feckin-tastic!  Left during Orbital after hearing a few tunes...meh.  All in all, brilliant day out.  Cheap tickets, expensive beer.  Beck and Courtney Barnett were my favourites.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Birneybau wrote: »
    Non antagonistically asking, what do you mean by the difference? I was at both
    I was probably same distance away at both gigs, sound desk distance. My main reason for going to both was the preceding acts, YYY/MSP, so was further forward.

In Belfast I just thought Becks sound was better. I could hear the vocals much better. When he was talking i could hear most every word as well, in Dublin i just made out the odd word. For me it was comparably different.

I echo what someone said comparing QoTSA sound, my last 3 gig and it was very disappointing sound wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I had a really fun weekend

Low lights
    Food in the arena (their website said artisan...I think not), shocking and expensive, second day brought in food, drink not much better
    Public service broadcasting - I like their songs but felt they got a bit lost on the big stage
    Neneh Cherry...dont get the appeal at all, rambling speeches and awful rambling songs.

Highlights
    Beck loved the stage.
    Ash (terrific,should have been on later - loved the teenage kicks cover)
    Franz Ferdinand I like a lot too.

I think the sound the nearer the front you got it was better.
    The crowd was lovely a little bit older than the norm.
    Oh and the weather was terrific glad I brought the old suncream...so many fried people walking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

gmisk wrote: »
    I had a really fun weekend

Low lights
    Food in the arena (their website said artisan...I think not), shocking and expensive, second day brought in food, drink not much better
    Public service broadcasting - I like their songs but felt they got a bit lost on the big stage
    Neneh Cherry...dont get the appeal at all, rambling speeches and awful rambling songs.

Highlights
    Beck loved the stage.
    Ash (terrific,should have been on later - loved the teenage kicks cover)
    Franz Ferdinand I like a lot too.

I think the sound the nearer the front you got it was better.
    The crowd was lovely a little bit older than the norm.
    Oh and the weather was terrific glad I brought the old suncream...so many fried people walking about!

Sound was definitely better the closer you got. We watched a few of the acts from the very back and you could barely hear them.
    My highlight was Touts on the small stage, they were clearly enjoying every second and the crowd were really into them. Fr John Misty, Courtney Barnett, The Breeders and Manics were also great. Beck was alright, we left half way through his set. But again, we were way back for his set so maybe we just didn't get the full effect. And the sun had really sapped us by that stage so we headed on.

Agree that the food was terrible. Got a pizza and it just tasted like a Tesco value range microwaved pizza. Absolutely rotten. The Carlsberg cider was surprisingly ok though.

Was really annoyed by the lack of bins on the site. We walked around for ages trying to find one but couldn't. The cup redemption thing was handy but kinda needed a better system than having to carry around 10 empty bottles at a time.

Overall had a really good time at it. Would've liked to go Saturday but had something else on. Brilliant value for £18.

Advertisement