Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The myth of 'the happy hooker' is dispelled

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Neyite wrote: »
    I think I phrased that badly, sorry, I meant more along the lines of a standard minimum price per service in the industry. Workers could charge upwards of that for their own services but that the ones that are the lowest /riskiest in the profession are at least bringing home a decent wage for what they do.
    And of course not to forget setting maximum commission or occupancy rates. A lot of charges may be premium, but the brothel/club are taking majority cuts of the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

seamus wrote: »
    And of course not to forget setting maximum commission or occupancy rates. A lot of charges may be premium, but the brothel/club are taking majority cuts of the money.
    My employer takes the lions share of the profits that I generate too...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Sleepy wrote: »
    All the rest makes sense but I can't for the life of me imagine how standardised pricing could possibly work.

They'd charge by the inch:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

They'd charge by the inch:D

Give them an inch and they take a ..... 20?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

theres four inches in a hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

I note that the OP started this thread with the most dishonest but fundamentally stupid trick in the book - take some carefully selected examples, some biased sources (feminist activists) and extrapolate that over the entire sample. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy#Logical_fallacies

To "dispel" the "myth" of the happy hooker, you must first prove not that there is one carefully selected unhappy hooker, but that there are no happy hookers whatsoever. The OP failed to do this and didn't even try, because the argument is, at its foundation, based on deceit, manipulation and mendacity.

I also note that the OPs posting history is based almost entirely on gender issues in a similar vein to this, posting in a thread about sexy women by trying to shame the men there into silence with "but would she do you, you sexist pigs, shut up" type posts. And in another thread I think she was going after critics of Louise O'Neill with more shaming language "don't you think it's unfair to criticise her for months or something."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

My employer takes the lions share of the profits that I generate too...

Yeh but does he stick it up your arse at the end of the day too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

SeanW wrote: »
    I note that the OP started this thread with the most dishonest but fundamentally stupid trick in the book - take some carefully selected examples, some biased sources (feminist activists) and extrapolate that over the entire sample. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy#Logical_fallacies

To "dispel" the "myth" of the happy hooker, you must first prove not that there is one carefully selected unhappy hooker, but that there are no happy hookers whatsoever. The OP failed to do this and didn't even try, because the argument is, at its foundation, based on deceit, manipulation and mendacity.

I also note that the OPs posting history is based almost entirely on gender issues in a similar vein to this, posting in a thread about sexy women by trying to shame the men there into silence with "but would she do you, you sexist pigs, shut up" type posts. And in another thread I think she was going after critics of Louise O'Neill with more shaming language "don't you think it's unfair to criticise her for months or something."

The OP had an agenda no doubt but the thread has thrown up some interesting discourse so who cares really? That’s the beauty of a discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Maybe you should speak to this happy hooker, OP. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057719737

Yea, good example. There was also an RTE Documentary about Sex for Sale and the sex worker who was "pro" seemed anything but unhappy.

I reviewed the content of the Docu here and here though. The dour unhappy sex worker who was the representative of the "anti" side had basically no arguments except her own misery and her own agenda of man hatred.

Basically she had a march against sex workers and banned men from marching with her. And she decided to tell politicians when she finally got face time with them that "Purchasing sex work is the expression of male misogynistic women hating" and that basically men were just using sex workers as an outlet for their hatred of women.

Which basically seems to me like it was not the work that was making her unhappy. It was her own hatred and distrust of men that was tearing her up inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

There is surely still a very high level of exploitation in that profession, but apparently the internet has had a more positive impact on prostitution than almost anything ever. Women can set up their account or website or whatever, screen and talk to their clients over email, Skype, etc, even look for references if they wish, and cut out the role of the pimp. Not to say that makes everything 100% perfectly safe in terms of them being assaulted by a client etc, but it's done a world of good for them. I'll see if I can find it, read a detailed article on it a few years back that was pretty fascinating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Actually I have been thinking of, and planning a little, a website that goes the other way. Where a person puts up a profile of themselves and what they are looking for in a sex worker. What kinks or interests they have. Maybe a photo option of themselves. The price bracket they are willing to pay. Time windows when they are most interested in such a service. Their general location and travel radius. And more. Basically all the information that a sex worker might be interested to know.

NO IDEA how interested customers of sex workers would be in such a site. But I wonder how useful it would be to give an extra dynamic to the sex workers to choose a customer, rather than the customer always choosing the sex worker.

Advertisement