Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I find stupid that other people won’t.

Options
  • 11-02-2018 4:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I don’t want an arguement. But I think a lot and have some ideas on life. I won’t just blurt our random things that annoy me right now.

I’ll blurt our random things I’ve been thinking about over a few months, I’ll listen to both sides and make my decision.

Sometimes I will learn or see another persons view of things and change my perspective. Some people make a shoot from the hip decision and will try every trick in the book to win an arguement rather than finding the best course of action or answers.

I look at the Donald trump thing and see that it stopped so low that name calling because of his hand size was used to show he was a baddy.

I seen an arguement on the importance of military and the military man was saying what if the taliban kidnapped you who would you call? The anti military lad said if nobody was bombing them or colonizing them they wouldn’t be kidnapping anybody. Military lad just started calling him a taliban sympathizer.
    Have you ever changed your mind during a debate or do you get angry when your half informed view is not agreed upon.

As a young lad I heard all sorts of views like immigration and stuff and just believed them. I thought the Garda were baddies for taking a car that had no tax.
    Later I just shot these views off and if anyone disagreed I’d try to win the arguement by any means.

It took to my mid thirties to listen to both sides and make my own decisions.
    I see football threads here where if supporter a gives an opinion on supporter bs team supporter b automatically starts slagging supporter as team.

If abortion is spoke about its only a matter of time before people start calling names.

Should we have debating teams in all schools like they do in the movies?
    Teach people to thrash out a subject without turning it into a Gombeen running around college demanding trigger words being banned situation.

Tl/dr
    Can two people have a differing opinion without getting angry anymore?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Wow, this coming of age epiphany drama of yours intrigues me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

Wow, this coming of age epiphany drama of yours intrigues me...

No it doesn’t. You must be a member of the legion of Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    No it doesn’t. You must be a member of the legion of Mary.

Legion of Fairy, but close enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

trump_small_hands.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I refuse to see anyone elses point of view. Im right and thats the way it just is. So there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

People that use "I seen"
    It actually makes me wince...sorry OP...not a dig at you...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Suppose you've listened to both sides and still think the opposing view is nonsense?

I think you're trying to turn us all into Canadians. Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In the real world many people hold differing viewpoints and can discuss them with people of opposing views without anger or malice. Online, people just loose the rag the instant they read something they do not agree with. Hence, proper debate becomes neigh on impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭gifted

I'm at the kettle...anyone want a coffee?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I don’t want an arguement. But I think a lot and have some ideas on life. I won’t just blurt our random things that annoy me right now.

I’ll blurt our random things I’ve been thinking about over a few months, I’ll listen to both sides and make my decision.

Sometimes I will learn or see another persons view of things and change my perspective. Some people make a shoot from the hip decision and will try every trick in the book to win an arguement rather than finding the best course of action or answers.

I look at the Donald trump thing and see that it stopped so low that name calling because of his hand size was used to show he was a baddy.

I seen an arguement on the importance of military and the military man was saying what if the taliban kidnapped you who would you call? The anti military lad said if nobody was bombing them or colonizing them they wouldn’t be kidnapping anybody. Military lad just started calling him a taliban sympathizer.
    Have you ever changed your mind during a debate or do you get angry when your half informed view is not agreed upon.

As a young lad I heard all sorts of views like immigration and stuff and just believed them. I thought the Garda were baddies for taking a car that had no tax.
    Later I just shot these views off and if anyone disagreed I’d try to win the arguement by any means.

It took to my mid thirties to listen to both sides and make my own decisions.
    I see football threads here where if supporter a gives an opinion on supporter bs team supporter b automatically starts slagging supporter as team.

If abortion is spoke about its only a matter of time before people start calling names.

Teach people to thrash out a subject without turning it into a Gombeen running around college demanding trigger words being banned situation.

Tl/dr

You shouldn’t allow these trivial things to annoy you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

gifted wrote: »

2 sugars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Nigh on impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Differing opinions are hugely important in my view. Both on a personal and societal level.

In my opinion, Donald Trump is very important to discuss, not just to say how bad he is but to understand what it says about society that someone like that actually managed to become president.

The repeal the 8th is an incredibly complex issue and needs to be discussed openly (which is largely happening).

I am concerned that online behavior (where you can avoid people who disagree with you) has lead to a growing sense that every topic has a binary outcome, you're either pro or against. And that is nearly always misleading.

And I think that has affected attitudes in the real world where there are less debates, only barbs thrown about how ridiculous the others opinion is. It's probably fair to say when people hear "debate" they actually think it means argument. Which it doesn't.

Finally, because of the ease at finding topics that interest you today, or at least avoiding topics that don't, people are less accustomed to real life discussions with opposing views.

I have a friend who is pro-Brexit. Whenever we start to discuss that, his wife asks can we talk about something we agree on. If I have an opposing view on anything, she asks can we not talk about it.

Without trying to sound too dramatic, on a personal level that's ill-advised but on a national level will lead to division, distrust and conflict.

See BLM in America as a case in point.

TLDR
    Echo chamber are real. And dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Tl/dr

Yes, most people can although we all have subjects we can get passionate about and that can make it difficult. When people continue to be aggressive that's when you just have to realise that this person is an ignorant assh*le who doest deserve your time and you need to walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I am concerned that online behavior (where you can avoid people who disagree with you) has lead to a growing sense that every topic has a binary outcome, you're either pro or against. And that is nearly always misleading.

Echo chamber are real. And dangerous.

I think a very large part of the problem is just an overall polarization of society in general. People used to all just watch 'the news' and read a limited selection of newspapers. So they were pretty much all getting the same information and had to more or less make up their own minds on issues.

Nowadays there's a media outlet to suit everyone's particular taste and so their ideas are only being reinforced rather than challenged. If you think there are people out there who's only source of news is the likes of Fox <shudder> and they never look beyond that, after all why would they challenge their own views if they are convinced their view of the world is right and they're having that idea reinforced every day?

What it largely comes down to (in my opinion) is that people are being told what to think rather than how to think

And you're right it's very very dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

gifted wrote:

Yes please, the proper coffee machine is beside the kettle. No sugar or milk.

People should be more like this, mind your own business. More doing less talking. Talking about vacuuming doesn't get it done.

cbyrd wrote:
    People should be more like this, mind your own business. More doing less talking. Talking about vacuuming doesn't get it done.

Offering coffee on the internet, won't get you coffee in real life either will it?

Talking for the sake of it (waffling)? Bad.
    Discussion, debate, listening? Good.
    In real life preferably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Reasonableness is a highly irritating trait in a person.
    Have a ****ing opinion.

kneemos wrote: »
    Reasonableness is a highly irritating trait in a person.
    Have a ****ing opinion.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion, as long as it's actually thought out and preferably based on something other than "I read this on Facebook, Twitter, the Dailymail, yada yada rabble rabble"

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

People are more worried about what others think of them than they should be.
    The internet has given a platform to people and makes their opinions look more important than they should be.

A 15 year old posts about how pensions should be scrapped for all. You don't know he is 15 and doesn't know the consequences of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭gifted

cbyrd wrote: »
    Yes please, the proper coffee machine is beside the kettle. No sugar or milk.

You know you'll always get a coffee cbyrd....lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

kneemos wrote: »
    Suppose you've listened to both sides and still think the opposing view is nonsense?

I think you're trying to turn us all into Canadians. Eh?

My friend is Canadian .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Debating teams are part of the problem in a way. They encourage people to try and win an argument rather than to tease out truths. Don't get me wrong, the skills they encourage are important to develop, even very useful, especially being able to argue a point of view which you disagree with. But many people never mature out of the mindset that they must stick to the "side" they are on and never concede any ground. That is literally only useful in a debating tournament and has very little use for us in the real world.

Earthhorse wrote:
    Debating teams are part of the problem in a way. They encourage people to try and win an argument rather than to tease out truths. Don't get me wrong, the skills they encourage are important to develop, even very useful, especially being able to argue a point of view which you disagree with. But many people never mature out of the mindset that they must stick to the "side" they are on and never concede any ground. That is literally only useful in a debating tournament and has very little use for us in the real world.

I think there might be value to it. Alter the structure so that you have to debate from both sides for X time maybe.

I'd be interested in debate nights similar to Toastmasters or pub quiz nights but the cost of security would probably make it impossible. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The same problem remains whereby we are simply teaching people to view disagreements as games to be won and lost rather than seeking truth and accepting that it's multifaceted and not a false dichotomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

In the real world many people hold differing viewpoints and can discuss them with people of opposing views without anger or malice. Online, people just loose the rag the instant they read something they do not agree with. Hence, proper debate becomes neigh on impossible.

Does anyone else genuinely think evolution started going backwards somewhere along the way?

• Advertisement

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Does anyone else genuinely think evolution started going backwards somewhere along the way?

hmmm.....two words :

Tide pods....

Advertisement