Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam thread 2 (car videos only, no commenting on videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭josip

If anyone wants to buy me a 1080P Mobius for Christmas I'll PM the delivery address.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I love driving through puddles. Lots of people go around them on the backroads on my commute but I go straight through them. It's Ireland and it rains a lot, might as well get some fun out of it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

But it is only really fun if someone is walking or cycling there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

josip wrote: »
    If anyone wants to buy me a 1080P Mobius for Christmas I'll PM the delivery address.

Ah... If only I had a dashcam years ago, flood fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Using the term 'roads' loosely there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

tossy wrote: »
    Using the term 'roads' loosely there :)

I think he was driving on the Boyne!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I love driving through puddles. Lots of people go around them on the backroads on my commute but I go straight through them. It's Ireland and it rains a lot, might as well get some fun out of it!

there is a reason why people go around the puddles and not straight through them

Seve OB wrote: »

there is a reason why people go around the puddles and not straight through them

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

Such as?

Water ingress into engine = destroyed engine
    Water into alternator
    Water into sills/floors
    Water into exhaust
    Water/debris in brakes
    Water into electrical connections
    Holes/popped shores in road
    Large unseen debris

You might even have a few yourself.

b318isp wrote: »
    Such as?

Water ingress into engine = destroyed engine
    Water into alternator
    Water into sills/floors
    Water into exhaust
    Water/debris in brakes
    Water into electrical connections
    Holes/popped shores in road
    Large unseen debris

You might even have a few yourself.

I think if I can blast the pressure washer around the front of the car, bonnet and wheel wells and the engine bay doesn't get wet then I think a puddle is fine.

I'd be very surprised if a puddle would get into major components as they're all fairly sealed units. If that was the case then surely just driving in the wet over time would have the same effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think if I can blast the pressure washer around the front of the car, bonnet and wheel wells and the engine bay doesn't get wet then I think a puddle is fine.

Pressure washer goes down, puddles go up.

But the major concern for me is you have no idea whats under the water.

GreeBo wrote: »

Pressure washer goes down, puddles go up.

But the major concern for me is you have no idea whats under the water.

What about car washes that wash the underside of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What about car washes that wash the underside of the car?

Unless you are bringing one with you, it wont help you to avoid bricks or potholes in the road... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I started learning to drive this year. Best summer in years, lots of dry, sunny days and although I've been out most days rain has been a rare nuisance. Was out today and there are puddles everywhere, lashing rain and my first time through floody bits - not a nice experience, also sprayed by artic overtaking me at 90kmph on the carriageway - I went into a large puddle on a slower road and could feel a slight pull to one side and braking was a little sluggish -

Maybe when I'm more experienced at driving in the rain but it taught me to reduce my speed a little for the conditions :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

I'd be very surprised if a puddle would get into major components as they're all fairly sealed units. If that was the case then surely just driving in the wet over time would have the same effect.

True, puddles are a lot less of a risk than flooding.

Driving through floods is generally not a good idea - I lost a diesel engine a few years ago due to water ingress. Hydraulically locked the cylinders - bent the con-rods.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

My Fiat Ducato would not switch off engine .. Fiat said i must have driven through a puddle .. wanted a lot to fix it , so i got a hair dryer and dried the electrics . Worked . Some models ware recalled known problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It's a pity I can link a video from YouTube with my YouTube account anonymous. Or can I? Do I have to set up an alternate YouTube account.

First dashcam. On vimeo, for the moment, will upload a YT clip if I get sorted

Cyclist, on the left, last night rubber-necking at a tragic incident in Dundalk last night. Why I give cyclists plenty of room on the road (he was fine, got out and checked).

https://vimeo.com/299454682

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

b318isp wrote: »
    True, puddles are a lot less of a risk than flooding.

Driving through floods is generally not a good idea - I lost a diesel engine a few years ago due to water ingress. Hydraulically locked the cylinders - bent the con-rods.

I did the exact same to a Mondeo years ago coming from IDA industrial estate in Waterford during torrential rain. Little Yaris got through ahead of me but I created a bow wave and bye-bye engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

For a country with so many guns per capita, I'm amazed so many US drivers get out of the car for a fight. If we had similar gun laws here, it would be carnage from daily M50 traffic grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

First dashcam. On vimeo, for the moment, will upload a YT clip if I get sorted

Cyclist, on the left, last night rubber-necking at a tragic incident in Dundalk last night. Why I give cyclists plenty of room on the road (he was fine, got out and checked).

https://vimeo.com/299454682

I nearly missed what was going on here.
    Got dostracted by the blue lights.........

I nearly missed what was going on here.
    Got dostracted by the blue lights.........

Haw haw!!

Just as well I didn't, he landed right in front of my passenger side wheel.

dwfj3k.png

It's a pity I can link a video from YouTube with my YouTube account anonymous. Or can I? Do I have to set up an alternate YouTube account.

:confused:
    you don't need a you tube account to post the link here?
    just get the you tube video number and paste in in here... no spaces and you will just need the red bit

[ YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/Xi-XWDC-rYs[/YOUTUBE]

sure while i'm at it... a few more DASH cams :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Haw haw!!

Just as well I didn't, he landed right in front of my passenger side wheel.

dwfj3k.png

WHAT A MORON

just get the you tube video number and paste in in here... no spaces and you will just need the red bit

[ YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/Xi-XWDC-rYs[/YOUTUBE]

sure while i'm at it... a few more DASH cams :)

Just goes to show how driving is different in other parts of the world, the crazy Russians and the dopey Chinese.

I wasn't the clearest, sorry. To host a video on youtube you need to be registered with them. If I link one of my hosted videos here then my personal account is linked with my boards account and I prefer to avoid that if you understand me thanks...

I wasn't the clearest, sorry. To host a video on youtube you need to be registered with them. If I link one of my hosted videos here then my personal account is linked with my boards account and I prefer to avoid that if you understand me thanks...
    just create another youtube account that you can use for this stuff.

Probably the handiest alright thanks....

Done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,330 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The yank video would be better without sound and the strong language warning at the end lmao

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement