Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny job figures

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

Stay in the places they stay during the week.

That’s a pretty heartless way of looking at things. In your future view of the world the average semi skilled worker should, after training for a year should live in a hostel with his family and 20 other lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Country in 7 years has only added 120,000 new jobs in every sector of the economy.

A great success story. So you know who to vote for in the next general erection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    on a Monday morning at 4 am while eating a cold can of also beans.

What are also beans?

wexie wrote: »
    What are also beans?

Aldi beans sorry I’m new here and not used to using my phone for internet speak, sometimes it predictive texts my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    Aldi beans sorry I’m new here and not used to using my phone for internet speak, sometimes it predictive texts my post.

Don't apologize dude, was a bad and misplaced joke :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

The construction industry is in a sorry state at the minute but it suits some of the big builders cause it's way easier to hire 10 small scale subbies and screw them over rather than one large guy who may have the deep pockets to battle them in the courts when they don't pay or negotiate down the contract after the fact.

I am in the consultant engineering game and the way that the main contractors/builders are operating is only going to screw themselves over in the long run. No wonder nobody is taking up carpentry, block laying or plastering you end up working for below minimum wage.

The industry is in dire need of a strong union

So many trades could do with a responsible union. Unfortunately society appears to be going in the opposite direction and the unions we have are a bunch of impotent money grabbers.

It's a shame "union" has become a dirty word. Worker's rights are arguably more important now than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

So many aspects of this story are beyond my understanding. Why does Social Welfare take 40 residents of Galway all the way to Dublin every Monday morning at 4 am to train them on building sites during the week? And take them back to Galway on Friday evening? Lots of other questions.

But whatever the reason there is no need for them to eat cold beans on Mondays at 3.30 am. They could heat the beans, or have some other food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

_Brian wrote: »
    Governments have been using “employment schemes” and “training schemes” to massage the unemployed figures for a long time.
    They fill these with people of the long term unemployed lists so as to reduce this figure as much as possible.

It also gives employers practically free labour and means losses of genuine good paying jobs. It's a total farce.

So many aspects of this story are beyond my understanding. Why does Social Welfare take 40 residents of Galway all the way to Dublin every Monday morning at 4 am to train them on building sites during the week? And take them back to Galway on Friday evening? Lots of other questions.

But whatever the reason there is no need for them to eat cold beans on Mondays at 3.30 am. They could heat the beans, or have some other food.

He was eating the cold beans on his lunch break at 10 am when I was talking to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

The construction industry is in a sorry state at the minute

It's a gangsters dream paradise, reems of regulations but effectively zero enforcement of said regulations. Makes it utterly impossible for anyone who's legit and wants to comply with the regs to compete. - But don't worry Mr Ordinary Taxpayer will pick up the bill every time the scandals hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It also gives employers practically free labour and means losses of genuine good paying jobs. It's a total farce.

At least the 61,000 on the schemes are getting involved in some activity, unlike the much higher number who receive an unemployment payment, but do not have to leave their house. 21,000 are in Community Employment schemes about which I know very little. Are they actually displacing real jobs? Another 16,000 are on back to education and training schemes, which I would regard as the equivalent of third level education. University students are not counted as unemployed.

Overall the impact on the jobs market is minimal. The schemes were even bigger back when we had hundreds of thousands of foreign workers coming here to fill job vacancies. How can that be explained?

At least the 61,000 on the schemes are getting involved in some activity, unlike the much higher number who receive an unemployment payment, but do not have to leave their house. 21,000 are in Community Employment schemes about which I know very little. Are they actually displacing real jobs? Another 16,000 are on back to education and training schemes, which I would regard as the equivalent of third level education. University students are not counted as unemployed.

Overall the impact on the jobs market is minimal. The schemes were even bigger back when we had hundreds of thousands of foreign workers coming here to fill job vacancies. How can that be explained?

These schemes are grand says the man who believes you should live in a hostel with your family up the other end of the country with 40 other unemployed people because you lost your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Funnily enough i've seen ads for apprentice ceiling fixers/slabbers lately. Even though it's not recognised as a trade with papers. They could advertise as trainees but then would have to pay minimum rates. The construction game is getting worse and cowboys are definately on the rise

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

fyi, Russian is the language which many Eastern Europeans have in common. So Poles use it to talk to Latvians etc. The OP may well have been hearing Russian.

fyi, Russian is the language which many Eastern Europeans have in common. So Poles use it to talk to Latvians etc. The OP may well have been hearing Russian.

Everyday is a school day

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Wow, this thread is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

tedpan wrote: »
    Wow, this thread is a joke

Retract that immediately.

It’s very possible it was some kind of European humour I don’t get.

Advertisement