Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny job figures

Options
  • 08-02-2018 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

There’s a bunch of lads doing dry lining (slabbing) on a site I’m working on in Dublin City Centre. They are foreign (Russian I think) living in Galway. They were telling me how rough they had it getting picked up in Galway on a Monday morning at 4 am while eating a cold can of also beans. I said the money must be great to be going through that hardship. They stay in a hostel till Friday and get to go home for the weekend. They said no it was a social welfare scheme where they train for a year to be a slabber. I nearly spat out my breakfast role. Later one of them approached me asking if my company had work and telling me he was skilled enough to do the work I was doing but was finding it hard to find anything. He had no Irish trade papers. Is this a thing now? If the Russians are working for free to learn to be a slabber our children will be doing the same in five years. What are slabber a going to work at when they are applying for jobs and the slabbing king of Galway has 40 Russian lads bussing around the country for free.
    These people are not in the unemployed figures because they are in training.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Governments have been using “employment schemes” and “training schemes” to massage the unemployed figures for a long time.
    They fill these with people of the long term unemployed lists so as to reduce this figure as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

In Mother Russia, works slabs you

I'm adding the above great anecdote to the next version of The Memo!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    They are foreign (Russian I think) living in Galway.

Probably not Russians atall.
    More than likely just from the Gaeltacht
    That's Irish they are speaking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

What did you have in your breakfast roll OP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

also beans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

In Mother Russia, works slabs you

I'm adding the above great anecdote to the next version of The Memo!

I know it’s an anctedote but I’m probably not allowed name the company. Do such schemes exist. I know a few younger lads are working here in clubs and parks in back to work schemes but I didn’t know it was private companies. No offense to slabbers but a year training course in the other end of a country for your social welfare is a bit much to train as one. Especially when there will be thousands of Russian lads all qualified at it in a years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Doesn't sound legitimate tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There’s a bunch of lads doing dry lining (slabbing) on a site I’m working on in Dublin City Centre. They are foreign (Russian I think) living in Galway. They were telling me how rough they had it getting picked up in Galway on a Monday morning at 4 am while eating a cold can of also beans. I said the money must be great to be going through that hardship. They stay in a hostel till Friday and get to go home for the weekend. They said no it was a social welfare scheme where they train for a year to be a slabber. I nearly spat out my breakfast role. Later one of them approached me asking if my company had work and telling me he was skilled enough to do the work I was doing but was finding it hard to find anything. He had no Irish trade papers. Is this a thing now? If the Russians are working for free to learn to be a slabber our children will be doing the same in five years. What are slabber a going to work at when they are applying for jobs and the slabbing king of Galway has 40 Russian lads bussing around the country for free.
    These people are not in the unemployed figures because they are in training.

A couple of lines do best in AH OP.

Your's is just a little too intricate for the clientele i'm afraid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Yeah, I think there's a communication difficulty going on here OP.

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    Yeah, I think there's a communication difficulty going on here OP.

Maybe or maybe they are bull****ting me. He had a good knowledge of the skills needed for my job though and didn’t seem to be the regular dole scrounger stereotype. Maybe I should have asked this in a Galway dole forum to find the name of the scheme they said it’s not called jobbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

how would a russian be eligible for social welfare?

how would a russian be eligible for social welfare?

I’d imagine they are here a longtime. Or from a more eu country. I just assumed they were Russian because I heard one of them say dah a few times. They said they were from Galway and I didn’t want to be that guy that says yeah but where are you really from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Cyka blyat!

Noveight wrote: »
    Cyka blyat!

Had to look that one up on first glance I thought it said clickbait. Never noticed it said onsite.

I guess this site doesn’t get much Galway social welfare user traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,608 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I guess this site doesn’t get much Galway social welfare user traffic.

Which scheme do you think they are on. You can see all the numbers on the Acitvation Programmes table.

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/lr/liveregisterjanuary2018/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Review the employment numbers in 2007, only 170,000 people are out of work. This is when the economy was booming. If you look at the rate when the recession was biting hard 2011 the number unemployed jumped to 457,000 thousand. An increase in unemployed of 287,000.

Roll on 2018. The number is 276,000 on the live register + 61,000 on job schemes or activation programs.

337,000 thousand are actively still unemployed.

So the reality is 167,000 thousand people have never returned to work since the recession started. We know this because we can look at the live register figures from 2007.

Country in 7 years has only added 120,000 new jobs in every sector of the economy.

Review the employment numbers in 2007, only 170,000 people are out of work. This is when the economy was booming. If you look at the rate when the recession was biting hard 2011 the number unemployed jumped to 457,000 thousand. An increase in unemployed of 287,000.

Roll on 2018. The number is 276,000 on the live register + 61,000 on job schemes or activation programs.

337,000 thousand are actively still unemployed.

So the reality is 167,000 thousand people have never returned to work since the recession started. We know this because we can look at the live register figures from 2007.

Country in 7 years has only added 120,000 new jobs in every sector of the economy.
    Jesus that serious number of job schemes. I thought they weren’t building houses too even though they say they are. All building sites going in Dublin city seem to be hotels.

Jesus that serious number of job schemes. I thought they weren’t building houses too even though they say they are. All building sites going in Dublin city seem to be hotels.

If you look at the numbers, a lot of them are back to education or training schemes. That makes them no different to university students who get grants. In fact some people at university are able to keep their social welfare payment while studying certain courses.

• Advertisement

The men who you met are likely EU citizens. They are likely Polish, Latvian or from Lithuania. I think people should work for welfare payment and, I also think the payment should be fair if they working long hours. The government though is not revealing the true number of unemployed in this country.

If you look at the numbers, a lot of them are back to education or training schemes. That makes them no different to university students who get grants. In fact some people at university are able to keep their social welfare payment while studying certain courses.

Ah come on they are the same things you’d do on community service. I thought we were approaching full employment again until I asked about when the lads told me they were on a scheme.
    It’s like the wire tv show with all the number fiddling. Garda numbers job numbers house build numbers. Now I really believe lads are being bussed to Dublin to work in semi skilled jobs for a pittance. Who is profiting from all this?
    Not the average voter anyway.

The men who you met are likely EU citizens. They are likely Polish, Latvian or from Lithuania. I think people should work for welfare payment and, I also think the payment should be fair if they working long hours. The government though is not revealing the true number of unemployed in this country.

The numbers are published every month by the CSO. If they are wrong what are the true numbers, and where did you get them from?

Completely agree a real job for a wage.

The numbers are published every month by the CSO. If they are wrong what are the true numbers, and where did you get them from?

Those fellas are likely included in 61,000 figure. We have little information to work with what job scheme those boys are on. Is it part-time or full-time training on the site? What payment do they get? Can OP fill us in maybe?

Those fellas are likely included in 61,000 figure. We have little information to work with what job scheme those boys are on. Is it part-time or full-time training on the site? What payment do they get? Can OP fill us in maybe?

I will try get more info tomorrow

I will try get more info tomorrow

Tell them to stay in Dublin at the weekend. It is hardly worth their while to go to Galway and have to be up at 4 oclock on Monday morning to get back to Dublin. Plus it must be expensive keeping accommodation in Galway just to use at the weekend.

Tell them to stay in Dublin at the weekend. It is hardly worth their while to go to Galway and have to be up at 4 oclock on Monday morning to get back to Dublin. Plus it must be expensive keeping accommodation in Galway just to use at the weekend.

Could have kids in school. Families. How’s they find somewheee to rent in Dublin?

Could have kids in school. Families. How’s they find somewheee to rent in Dublin?

Stay in the places they stay during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The construction industry is in a sorry state at the minute but it suits some of the big builders cause it's way easier to hire 10 small scale subbies and screw them over rather than one large guy who may have the deep pockets to battle them in the courts when they don't pay or negotiate down the contract after the fact.

I am in the consultant engineering game and the way that the main contractors/builders are operating is only going to screw themselves over in the long run. No wonder nobody is taking up carpentry, block laying or plastering you end up working for below minimum wage.

The industry is in dire need of a strong union

Advertisement