Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭allinthehead

The regs at the time were single pole, new regs are double pole.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭davidivad

Ok so I plan to run one main car charger One granny charger, an air to water heat pump and possible a dishwasher and washing machine , as well as charging two 5kw batteries.

That's obviously overload so?

Car charger 32 amps, granny charger 10amps, two 5kw huawei batteries 4.5 amps each, dishwasher 10amps, washing machine 10amps, air to water heat pump 20amps.

That totals around around 90 amps at max usage, but I presume if I've a load sensing car charger it will just drop the usage when washing machine kicks in and then pick it up again as washing machine is barely ticking over?? The same for when the dishwasher, heat pump etc kick in??

Or am I in trouble here?

Post edited by davidivad on

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The charge point will throttle back but its not ideal that you dont have an overcurrent device that will trip if something goes wrong.... if something were to go wrong (e.g. incorrectly configured charge point) and the charge point didnt throttle back the result could be fire.

You should get the overcurrent issue fixed first, then go with the load sensing charge point and it will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

The last few pages of this thread really show why you should only take advice from qualified professionals.

Lads talking absolute rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

On the contrary , that install was a professional. Just like the thread in the other forum where someone wants to swap some light switches and the wiring done on a 2020 house by a reci is absolutely abysmal.

The term 'professional' is still to this day very loose in this country . Alot of lads taking zero pride in their work and getting away with it.

I think this thread and the conversations shared are great. Frankly. Can't trust people even though you're paying them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Best way to get the right answer on the internet is to post the wrong one!

Discussions like that does raise awareness with situations like above(eg a switch not a MCB!)

How many others like that are out there?

I noticed the problems starting when the regulations changed to put the mcb at the meter cabinet. Wholesalers started to sell pre wired distribution boards with a main isolator in place of an mcb. Some installers didn't even notice.

It's quite a common issue, although I think it's the first time I've seen an example like this, 2 x 100 amps.

That installation was most likely wired by an apprentice and probably never tested either.

Never assume an installation has been tested just because a cert went in to Safe Electric. One of the worst examples of this I came across was a house where all the earth cables and everything they were connected to, were live. The main protective earth from the meter cabinet was never connected. The oven was wired incorrectly making the earth at the oven live, which in turn energised the earth bar. A cert had been submitted, with test records obviously falsified. A 15 second test would've identified the fault.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Buffman

The same 'professionals' whose installs people often find faults with when posters submit photos here.

I presume by 'rot' you're not referring the quality of those 'professional' installations posted, so if you care to add anything beneficial to the thread by pointing out the 'rot' that's been posted, I'm sure everyone would find it beneficial.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L bottles or bigger to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Jesus Christ!!!

That's shocking (excuse the pun) stuff. The work people pay to "professionals" for poorer than lazy and dangerous DIY results is disgraceful. I've seen some serious stuff in my field of expertise where the safety standards are extremely high and are policed constantly. It doesn't stop some "professionals" from cutting corners where they can get away with it.

Stay Free

Yup, I had new door installed a few weeks ago. They put packers under the threshold with a gap from the ground of about an inch. Siliconed the gap at the front and put a piece of wood trim inside with a bit of silicon too. Assholes.

Fixed it myself because I didn't trust them to do it properly.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Any recent prices/deals people went ahead with? Any recommendations for companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

About to bite the bullet on an EV (Tesla) so want to get a charging point at home.

Is there much of a difference between chargers (features etc.), prices for the unit & installation. Also anything to look out for or to note please?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Skyfloater

This whole topic could really do with a sticky of 2-3 pages max.

Post edited by Skyfloater on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah as a newbie joining its very tough to read and get answers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I put a basic EO mini into parents house in Cork last month , went with Forkearn’s €995 deal. Got my application for grant in before Jan 1st, so net cost was €395, which I thought was good value. They came on time and did a very neat job. It’s a fairly basic unit, I paid a lot more a few years ago for a Wallbox Pulsar Plus in my own home, damn thing never seems to work as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Looking for some advice - I’m having my house rewired and while that’s being done, the electrician will be installing a Hypervolt Home 3 Pro for me.

ill be buying it direct from the UK ExVat (£610 for 7.5m) but wanted to hear peoples experience with Hypervolt units and anything to watch out for.

https://hypervolt.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

I’ve a hypervolt 2.0 and no issues in the 2.5 years it’s been installed. The app recently got a huge overhaul and there’s a pretty active Facebook group for them with the CEO of the company involved.

I’ve seen a few issues being called out there but given it’s a Facebook group it’s always going to highlight the problems and not those that have no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

Are they any good with solar panels with a battery ?

Hypervolt 2.0 also here 18 months now. No problems. Very solid unit. My only mistake was not getting the 7.5m cable when I first ordered the unit. I replaced the 5m cable a couple months ago. I also use an adapter with it to charge the type 1 Leaf.

Stay Free

yeah, the 5m would work but there would be tension on the cable if I didn’t park perfectly every time.

I’ll check out the FB group - the responses from the company so far have been impressive.

it’s a nice enough looking unit if a little big.

Their customer service is excellent I have found. Definitely get the longer cable from the start. The 7.5M still wraps around the unit neatly. It’s got a large face profile alright, but it’s neat.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

Hi.

Looking for advice on a spare EV charging cable (will be permanently plugged in to an untethered Zappi).

Does anyone have any experience of bokman (e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CKSDKHHS?ref=emc_p_m_5_i_atc).

They have a 5m 7.2KW for £102.48.

Advice or other suggestions welcomed, thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Does anyone have an idea how long it takes for the grant to go from approval to hitting your bank account? The email says 6 to 8 weeks but is that accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭crl84

About 4 weeks usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Advertisement