Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new plastic recycling rules?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Out of curiosity, now that the Chinese aren't taking our recyclables, who is?

Incidentally, Scientists accidentally engineer a plastic-eating enzyme

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

kbannon wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, now that the Chinese aren't taking our recyclables, who is?

Incidentally, Scientists accidentally engineer a plastic-eating enzyme

yes heard that on sky news this morning - sounds like a great discovery

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

kbannon wrote: »
    It would be rich to refuse it for no reason but they are refusing it because it was contaminated. Surely, the onus is on the supplier (Irl or UK) to provide the Chinese with recyclable materials not contaminated with food or dirty nappies!

It? I thought the Chinese were refusing all countries plastic recycling not just Ireland.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It? I thought the Chinese were refusing all countries plastic recycling not just Ireland.
    Maybe they are, I don't know. I do know that Irl & UK are facing a Chinese ban so I mentioned them. Either way, it doesn't matter - it was the same cause if it was a global rejection.

it does make you wonder who is taking it now - mind you , we shouldnt really expect other countries to take our rubbish though - each country should sort out its own disposal or rubbish landfill and recycling thats' what I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,973 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

it does make you wonder who is taking it now - mind you , we shouldnt really expect other countries to take our rubbish though - each country should sort out its own disposal or rubbish landfill and recycling thats' what I think

As long as waste management is treated as a "business", there will always be people looking to cut corners and maximise profits.

It should be a state run thing, with each state being responsible for its own crap.

yes, they refuse companies were being paid by the homeowner to take away away the recycling .... and then then they were being paid again by China per tonne of waste ..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PoulM wrote: »
    We could go back to living without plastic. It worked 100 years ago. Not sure consumers will accept, but they will have to get used to living without, when oil runs out. Looking forward to that
    Oil won't run out any time soon.

Oil for fuel may become more expensive as it takes more energy to recover and carbon taxes. This is why many "exhausted" oil fields still have only a fraction of the oil taken out, most of the stuff is still down there.

But oil as a feed stock for the chemical industry is worth spending more to extract. And you can use other carbon sources too, like coal tar or oil sands.

The problem is not so much the plastic but the air and marketing. Packaging is much bigger and brighter than it needs to be, to make the tat look more attractive and better value.

Thanks to containerisation packing doesn't even need to be as strong as the old days. Anyone remember tea chests ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Thanks to containerisation packing doesn't even need to be as strong as the old days. Anyone remember tea chests ?

Bring back the tea chest I say!

my3cents wrote: »

made of plywood weren't they? with metal edges

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I have old Twinings tea caddies made of metal, they're lovely. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

my3cents wrote: »
    They weren't reused. So very expensive way to carry tea.

as Andy From Sligo said - cheap thin plywood and nasty sharp metal edges, older ones were better

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Very handy for house removals though but I have to agree about the nasty sharp edges.

I had to put some bubble wrapping packing stuff into a bin today , what bin???

is it classed as thin plastic ... so therefore landfill rubbish bin? - anyway its in the landfill bin (as much as it breaks my heart, I mean how many years will that take to break down?) - but if it can go in the recycle bin I can go out and easily transfer it over but I dont know where we are at with this hard plastic and soft plastic and what plastics cannot go in the recycling bin anymore now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's not on the list so waste bin unfortunately.

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's not on the list so waste bin unfortunately.

thanks, been having a think about it -i cant live with myself knowing that its going into normal landfill waste and could blow off the landfill into the sea and kill the sea life (been watching the ocean rescue things on Skynews lately) or will jast take over a hudred years to break down (thats if it ever would break down) .. I think I shall go out now and rescue it from the black landfill bin and just put it in a cupboard somewhere here instead , and maybe use it again when I sell something on ebay .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Just heard Minister for our Environment waffeling away on Newstalk, slinking away as to why Ireland will miss its 2020 international emissions target by a bloody massive margin. Dennis Naughton thanks for nothing.

On the badly needed deposit and refund system he mentioned that the €160.00 million cost of implementing a system was preventative. That is a pawltry amount. This amount would be paid back many fold with the numerous savings it would make.

Our streets and beaches would be free of the scourge of the empty plastic bottle.

Advertisement