Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new plastic recycling rules?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

why are manufacturers and food suppliers using so much plastic these days though we live in an age where manufacturers and suppliers are always finding ways to save money by supplying their goods but cutting costs where they can to maximize profit.

So if they just simply cut down on plastic packaging or cut it out altogether surely they would be cutting down on their overheads and making more profit? - so it doesnt seem logical a lot of the time for them to package up stuff so much in plastic, they would surely save money by cutting down or cutting out plastic ... or are they just passing the cost of their plastic packaging, they are using to make their products look good ... to the consumer! - thats more than likely it.

Now also we as consumers want stuff we buy not to go off quick or get spoilt - years ago when there wasnt all this stuff in plastic packaging we used it quick, before it went off , it was more likely packed in brown paper bag or a glass jar even a lot of the sliced bread on the shelves were sold in wax paper outer wrapper and not wrapped in plastic - maybe us as consumers could lower our expectations too on that score then and go back to that time where we buy stuff fresh and use it within a couple of days and we would be ok and wont need this plastic stuff to make the produce last longer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'm not a fan of punitive taxation to steer consumer and manufacturer behavior, but for something like this I would be very much in favour of a €5 packaging levy:

hard-boiled-eggs.jpg

AR-303079999.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

That's awful lazy, peeled oranges ffs.......

Oldtree wrote: »
    That's awful lazy, peeled oranges ffs.......

maybe, but i suppose if you had arthritis or disabled that affected hand/fingers, an orange could be hard to peel?

maybe, but i suppose if you had arthritis or disabled that affected hand/fingers, an orange could be hard to peel?

My dads got arthritis in his hands and he just cuts them into segments. Might be an option when it gets worse and he can't safely handle a knife, but I don't really think he is the market the manufacturer is aiming at.

As for the boiled eggs I'm sitting here trying to thing who the hell would buy them but maybe that's just me as I like them scrambled

• Advertisement

DubInMeath wrote: »
    My dads got arthritis in his hands and he just cuts them into segments. Might be an option when it gets worse and he can't safely handle a knife, but I don't really think he is the market the manufacturer is aiming at.

As for the boiled eggs I'm sitting here trying to thing who the hell would buy them but maybe that's just me as I like them scrambled

cant beat a lovely boiled egg with a nice salad ... :)

cant beat a lovely boiled egg with a nice salad ... :)

Yeah but don't think they'd quite cut the mustard :-)

Must be loaded with all sorts of crap to stop a bad case of the trots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

It's amazing the amount of stuff that nature already supplies in a package, yet suppliers feel they need an extra layer of packaging. As a child I remember trips to the green grocer, everything loose including potatoes paper bag was the only packaging available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

just a point cellophane isnt a plastic, so it will decompose in a landfill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellophane

that bag levy (bag for life) must have been a great success for the shops - I mean years ago when they used paper bags , they would have had to buy these at the cash & carry and in quite a considerable quantity as well, must of cost them a bit at the end of the day and they would have got through quite a lot 'giving them away' when a customer bought something from the shop - but now its on the onus for the consumer to bring their own bags now or buy a plastic carrier bag or buy a bag for life - well thats saved them having to supply paper bags now to the customer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

that bag levy (bag for life) must have been a great success for the shops - I mean years ago when they used paper bags , they would have had to buy these at the cash & carry and in quite a considerable quantity as well, must of cost them a bit at the end of the day and they would have got through quite a lot 'giving them away' when a customer bought something from the shop - but now its on the onus for the consumer to bring their own bags now or buy a plastic carrier bag or buy a bag for life - well thats saved them having to supply paper bags now to the customer.

Paper bags are still available in shops at no cost to the customer, for none grocery items.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

irishgeo wrote: »
    Who is going to go through my rubbish, put the cellophane into land fill and send the cling film to the incinerator?

I can't help thinking that capacity and appetite of incinerators is contributing to a willingness by governments to accept this reduction in recycling.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I do my absolute best to cut down on packaging when shopping.
    And I recycle as best I can too.

It's good having a clear list online.
    Alas there are those who can't access this list.
    I know my 83 year old dad is very good at recycling but doesn't use the internet.

I know it'd mean more paper circulating, but a copy of this list needs to go through every letterbox in the country.

Sad to think that you'll always have thickos putting their rubbish and used nappies in recycling bins anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It would be dead easy to do, too, the binmen could deliver them when they collect the bins.

I do my absolute best to cut down on packaging when shopping.
    And I recycle as best I can too.

It's good having a clear list online.
    Alas there are those who can't access this list.
    I know my 83 year old dad is very good at recycling but doesn't use the internet.

I know it'd mean more paper circulating, but a copy of this list needs to go through every letterbox in the country.

Sad to think that you'll always have thickos putting their rubbish and used nappies in recycling bins anyway.

unless you get dirty feckers who tip them by a river - like this at one of our rivers near by us the other week!! :mad:

27866947_1277423092401130_2642120551088750122_n.jpg?oh=f5ab4604425dbbbb945b195d1c78834c&oe=5B012196

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That makes my blood BOIL!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Number of bags of rubbish and car parts (doors, bumpers) dumped at the last roundabout out of Kells and have been there for over a week.

When the town and county council were called, they told my cousin that removal of such material wasn't their issue. When asked whose issue it was he was told by the town council to call the county council and the same by the county council. Last person he talked to in the town council said that the removal of such material was the responsibility of the adjacent landowner. I can't see this as being the case surely or have we just reached a point where elected local representives are just that useless.

New Home wrote: »
    That makes my blood BOIL!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

really sickening - these people should be done big time - I dont know if the perpetrators were ever caught

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

New Home wrote: »
    It would be dead easy to do, too, the binmen could deliver them when they collect the bins.
    Although it is still a predominantly male profession, apparently they are now waste management and disposal technicians.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭elperello

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Number of bags of rubbish and car parts (doors, bumpers) dumped at the last roundabout out of Kells and have been there for over a week.

When the town and county council were called, they told my cousin that removal of such material wasn't their issue. When asked whose issue it was he was told by the town council to call the county council and the same by the county council. Last person he talked to in the town council said that the removal of such material was the responsibility of the adjacent landowner. I can't see this as being the case surely or have we just reached a point where elected local representives are just that useless.

Kells town council does not exist anymore. It is now a municipal district under the management of Meath County Council.

As for the genius who said it was the responsibility of the adjacent landowner, he was just talking rubbish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

irishgeo wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellophane

It was more what it does within the recycling stream that had me concerned. Need I not be?

elperello wrote: »
    Kells town council does not exist anymore. It is now a municipal district under the management of Meath County Council.

As for the genius who said it was the responsibility of the adjacent landowner, he was just talking rubbish!

Thanks and I stand corrected, my fault I have a bad habit of using the old identifiers for town councils etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sophiewilson

We should decrease the use of plastic bags.
    There are part of the ocean that is covered with plastic and it's a big impact o the animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PoulM

We could go back to living without plastic. It worked 100 years ago. Not sure consumers will accept, but they will have to get used to living without, when oil runs out. Looking forward to that

I was thinking about that, the other day - I'd say they'd have to invent a substitute for the medical field - can you imagine the tubes for intravenous drips, and all that? You can't use natural rubber 'cause lots of people are allergic to latex. They'd have to go back to glass syringes, only you wouldn't be able to boil them to sterilise them any more, like they used to (they stopped that because, among other reasons, they seem to be a source of contagion for hepatitis), so they'd have to be single use, the cost would be exorbitant, I'd say.

If they could eliminate plastic, though, it'd be great.

here's a great documentary from SkyNews (got some great high def pictures of China and Hong Kong as well) explaining (@12:38) why china stopped taking recycling from last July citing that the UK (and maybe Ireland) sent over contaminated rubbish along with the recycling and how they was not going to put up this mickey taking no longer and chose to refuse acceptance of all recycling:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Given that the Chinese produce such vast quantities of plastic goods and packaging that they then sell to the West their attitude is a bit rich. There's one way to reduce plastic waste - stop buying pound shop rubbish!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Given that the Chinese produce such vast quantities of plastic goods and packaging that they then sell to the West their attitude is a bit rich.
    It would be rich to refuse it for no reason but they are refusing it because it was contaminated. Surely, the onus is on the supplier (Irl or UK) to provide the Chinese with recyclable materials not contaminated with food or dirty nappies!

And yet, like it was mentioned before, there are countries/areas that manage to recycle up to 85% of the waste they collect, including nappies. This doesn't negate the fact that people can be lazy and careless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

kbannon wrote: »
    It would be rich to refuse it for no reason but they are refusing it because it was contaminated. Surely, the onus is on the supplier (Irl or UK) to provide the Chinese with recyclable materials not contaminated with food or dirty nappies!

Has anyone ever seen the state of the "recyclable" materials that turn up in the recyclable section of their local recycling center?

There's hardly any difference at our local center between the black bin rubbish and the recyclable rubbish.

The most obvious form of contamination is food, hardly anything is washed out but thats not the end of it because its hard sometimes even to spot anything recyclable in the recycling.

Whenever I take my recycling in I end up wondering why do I bother?

The council recycling center I use has someone on duty but they never check what people are dumping.

Advertisement