Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adults with imaginary friends

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

He made the claim, it's up to him to back it up...
    He just made the claim that Ulysses Gaze was 'a bad-ass'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Imaginary friends? lol, sounds like you could do with a cigarette. Barney, give this guy a cigarette, he's freakin' out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I've just been to an imaginary sex party...ah nuts .wrong thread .

Wrong sex party...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

He just made the claim that Ulysses Gaze was 'a bad-ass'.

it was Ulysses who made the claim "Anyone who is a religious believer" has an imaginary friend. It's up to him to prove that claim

(that's how it works, right? ... )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

James 007 wrote: »
    I cant remember the third imaginary friend.

Johnny Walker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

How do you know there is an atheist in the room?
    .... Oh you'll know..

....You'll know... Lol.

Yes they're like vegans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Rezident wrote: »
    Yes they're like vegans.

What ? :eek:
    They don't believe in vegetables either????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Reminds me of "Wilson" in Tom Hanks film, "Castaway" I think it was called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

pone2012 wrote: »
    Highly strange...tulpas and egregores are not something I'd be inclined know a whole lot about..but from what I've read on the topic..it appears they are not something to go "playing with"

I'd love to hear what a clinical psychologist makes of this kinda thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

Anyone who is a religious believer

Trying too hard with preaching there, sounds like you're the one kidding yourself with imagination, and you know it man :) !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I have around 200 imaginary friends on Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    Trying too hard with preaching there, sounds like you're the one kidding yourself with imagination, and you know it man :) !

"You're never alone, when you're with Christ" - Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭porte

Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Imaginary friends.
    Or, as Tony Hancock remarked in "The Radio Ham".
    "I've got friends all over the world, all over the world -
    none in this country but all over the world".

"You're never alone, when you're with Christ" - Ted

More religion again !

More trying too hard preaching man ! Relying on Fr. Ted ? Now that that's what you call imaging things . . . .funniest thing is it comes through that only one you're really kidding and trying to convince is yourself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

cycle4fun wrote: »
    Reminds me of "Wilson" in Tom Hanks film, "Castaway" I think it was called.

That's correct. Another film with an imaginary friend is Harvey starring James Stewart. Harvey was a 6ft white rabbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

More religion again !

More trying too hard preaching man ! Relying on Fr. Ted ? Now that that's what you call imaging things . . . .funniest thing is it comes through that only one you're really kidding and trying to convince is yourself. :)

It's not Father Ted, Brother Bob

maxresdefault.jpg

It's not Father Ted, Brother Bob

More imagining, man you have it bad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What about people who are actually real but you just like to imagine they are your friends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

myshirt wrote: »
    What about people who are actually real but you just like to imagine they are your friends?

A friend of mine imagined that she was a “close personal friend” of the “hoi polloi” in our medium sized rural town ( the professionals...solicitors, doctors etc.. but the solicitors in particular as I remember).
    She’d been a deserted wife as a young very attractive woman and I think she was very lonely in her later years.
    In reality her admirable attempts at social climbing had failed miserably as they always do.
    She died recently. RIP.

or people who you think are your friends but aren't ?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

That's correct. Another film with an imaginary friend is Harvey starring James Stewart. Harvey was a 6ft white rabbit.

Wake up, professor! And pay attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

What if your friends are just imagining you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

splinter65 wrote: »
    A friend of mine imagined that she was a “close personal friend” of the “hoi polloi” in our medium sized rural town ( the professionals...solicitors, doctors etc.. but the solicitors in particular as I remember).
    She’d been a deserted wife as ah young very attractive woman and I think she was very lonely in her later years.
    In reality her admirable attempts at social climbing had failed miserably as they always do.
    She died recently. RIP.

That sounds really sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I don't know of any kids who had imaginary friends. Suppose I probably do but it's not something you broadcast.

splinter65 wrote: »
    She’d been a deserted wife as a young very attractive woman and I think she was very lonely in her later years.
    She died recently. RIP.

So by saying that about her when she's dead, you weren't really her friend either then, when she perhaps imagined she had.
    That's doubly sad, poor woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I had imaginary enemies as a child. ****ers terrorised me for years with cruel challenges and dares if I didn't complete the dare or the challenge they'd come and get me. **** of the highest order.
    Weird arbitrary rules as well, couldn't change my jumper if I was alone in the house or they'd sneak up on me while I had it over my face. Weird stuff like that.
    Couldn't kill them for years. Eventually somehow it occurred to my overactive and thoroughly pissed off childhood brain that they lived inside a jigsaw puzzle so I set fire to it and a few other things they had a fondness for. God I relished the screams.

That's grand if your a child but an adult who thinks an imaginary person is real? They need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

The greatest friend everyone can have is education. Learning. Doesn't matter what you learn or what age you learn it or when you learn it just as long as you enjoy it. A language, a subject, a sport, a exercise, a creative zone of art or music. To learn. That is the best friend we will ever have. Learning may not be a actual person but it isn't imaginary either. Once you find what you enjoy learning it will entice actual people to be your friend through that real enjoyment you are getting a real Buzz off and have in your zone. Formal education when we are kids kills that enjoyment of learning, makes it a competition, makes it a pain in the arse. Knowledge is power and magic and an actual personal imaginary friend worth having

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

So by saying that about her when she's dead, you weren't really her friend either then, when she perhaps imagined she had.
    That's doubly sad, poor woman.

Are you one of those people who either never mentions a friend again after they’ve died (as if they never existed) or, if you do mention them, rewrites history so that it suddenly appears that they lived a perfectly perfect deliriously happy life?
    Like Facebook?
    Because if anything is sad, it is that.

Advertisement