Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this ridiculous?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

silverharp wrote: »
    The bank I work for is looking for graduates with Hymalayian studies and interpretive dance, you might be in luck op.
    So close!

I did Himalayan studies through interpretive dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Gee bud what type of bank do you work for? Is it some kind of Hippy bank where you give out loads to those heading to 'Glastonbury etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Look… obviously, I could care less. Since I bothered to post, I care some. Still… I don’t care.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

deco nate wrote: »
    Ahh, yes you are. I take it you are young. Just go were you can make money. And after a few years, if you really want to come back at least you will have money to help you get on the ladder.

I hate that phrase, I really do. It's evidence of how little we've learned from the last decade or so :(

I wouldn't be a GAA fan myself but fair play to the OP if he wants to spend his efforts on something he enjoys than hanging a few hundred grand worth of debt on himself to be "successful"

We really need to get over the obsession with property in this country. It didn't work out well last time and we're on course for the same results again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

deco nate wrote: »
    I don't know what the hell the op means

It means the original poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

silverharp wrote: »
    The bank I work for is looking for graduates with Hymalayian studies and interpretive dance, you might be in luck op.

I messed up the interview... :(

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

You would be correct, I genuinely believe this is an epiphany however.

Will report back around 11AM tomorrow to confirm.
    We're waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You would be correct, I genuinely believe this is an epiphany however.

Will report back around 11AM tomorrow to confirm.
    We're waiting...
    Allow the man his hangover - he was obviously drinking heavily last night.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    We really need to get over the obsession with property in this country. It didn't work out well last time and we're on course for the same results again.
    Since, for all intents and purposes, successive governments have abandoned social housing provision for the best part of a generation, having the roof over one's head fully paid for is one small security people look forward to when they retire.

Most don't care about property for property sake but do care about having a secure roof over their head when they retire rather than worry about rent rising faster than inflation when their income is falling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'm in my early forties and have never lived outside of Ireland so I can't say that it's ridiculous. If something was keeping me here though it certainly wouldn't be the GAA.

There was a thread on Boards a while ago about what people miss when abroad and it's full of answers along the lines of Kerrygold butter and Club orange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The majority of former world travellers I know are whinging about being discontent in their thirties and forties. Happiness comes from within. Do what YOU want to do. You can always do something else later if you feel like it then.
    People are essentially the same wherever you go.

As a young person with a not-so-in-demand degree (hopefully anyway), I hope to never leave Ireland because I love nothing more than going to GAA matches (neutral or otherwise).

Am I f*cking insane?

That's readily understandable to the non GAA-hating drones here. Being part of an organisation or movement nourishes a sense of community and, often, purpose. As the largest organisation in Ireland by a poc fada the GAA obviously facilitates and nourishes a sense of community, of belonging, in more people than any other organisation in Ireland possibly could. It nurtures identity at every geographical level and is almost uniquely linked to the emotional power of the Irish tradition. A sense of community gives a strong sense of meaning to many people. All the evidence relates having a sense of meaning to living longer and happier lives. That, and a healthy work-life balance and low hostility levels.

If you really needed to go abroad for a few years, there'll almost certainly be a GAA club near you - there are some 400 clubs outside Ireland - although it probably won't fully compensate for the loss of your local club community. I'd emigrate just for the perspective; you'll probably appreciate home more when you come back, especially as a place for raising a family. A bonus of emigrating is that at least you won't have to endure those sneering fúcktard keyboard warriors who think they are so cosmopolitan and open-minded solely by virtue of the fact they left Ireland (usually for some anglophone country - so much for not being closed-minded and intellectual limited) in the first place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Lots of people know who traveled widely appear to have come back with either a chip on the shoulder or an insane obnoxious attitude issue ,

stay at home be irish in ireland

it works

• Site Banned Posts: 1 crazy_chancer

nothing wrong the OP,s choices

some people are small town types , not everyone is suited to the big city or overseas life , the GAA is an inherently clannish and small town rural ireland kind of organisation but is amazing none the less for what it gives to those people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Lots of people know who traveled widely appear to have come back with either a chip on the shoulder or an insane obnoxious attitude issue ,

stay at home be irish in ireland

it works

That's true, although it can make people less clannish and less anti-English. If you saw some of the people in my area and how insular and hostile they can be, you might see the benefit of them going away and realising that there is a big world and not everyone looks, sounds or thinks exactly like they do. But most people, including the OP, don't seem in desperate need of travel for that reason as they are reasonably open minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

TallGlass wrote: »
    Look. As I told loads of people. That Jam degree would get them in a sticky situation.

But if you're ever in a jam, that's the guy you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I left Ireland to work abroad, am now settled in London. I've also travelled a lot to interesting places and still do; it's some of the best stuff I've ever done. But it's not for everyone too at the end of the day. Some of my best mates are still in Cork, go on sun holidays to Magaluf and are perfectly content working and staying around where they grew up. They're also interesting people, open-minded, great craic, well-versed on many topics and generally sound and happy people.

In short, do what makes you happy and that's it. That's the secret like.

There is nothing more irritating than some tosspot coming back home and making snide observations about life in Ireland because they went to India or live in London or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

As a young person with a not-so-in-demand degree (hopefully anyway), I hope to never leave Ireland because I love nothing more than going to GAA matches (neutral or otherwise).

Am I f*cking insane?

I'm not into GAA. But am I right in thinking it's not played all year through? There's a good few months each year where there's no matches. You could head backpacking for a few months after the last match of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

Staying in Mayo to follow GAA. Lol. Yeah, you are kind of mad. What part of Mayo?

Just because you are comfortable with a place shouldn't mean not seeing what else is out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭muppetshow1451

Sounds like the average joe

• Advertisement
Advertisement