Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this ridiculous?

Options
  • 04-02-2018 2:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭

As a young person with a not-so-in-demand degree (hopefully anyway), I hope to never leave Ireland because I love nothing more than going to GAA matches (neutral or otherwise).

Am I f*cking insane?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Probably just drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Look. As I told loads of people. That Jam degree would get them in a sticky situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Probably just drunk

You would be correct, I genuinely believe this is an epiphany however.

Will report back around 11AM tomorrow to confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I don't know what the hell the op means, is it only me?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

You dzo you babes

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote: »
    You dzo you babes

Also don't know what you mean. Drunk much?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I remember when the discos had to close the bar at 12 on a Saturday night, you wouldn't be long forgetting about your sliotar in them days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,213 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's perfectly normal once your happy and doing what you want and not harming anybody.
    This travelling/exploring bug isn't for everybody. I have often heard of people being pushed into it or thought they had to do it and then having their family rescue them because they simply couldn't cope. Give it a try if you want but it's not for everybody.

• Site Banned Posts: 13 Farmer Tom

The dome is dead.

It's perfectly normal once your happy and doing what you want and not harming anybody.
    This travelling/exploring bug isn't for everybody. I have often heard of people being pushed into it or thought they had to do it and then having their family rescue them because they simply couldn't cope. Give it a try if you want but it's not for everybody.

Honestly looking back on the past few years I've been at my happiest during GAA season following my native county or praying Mayo beat the Dubs, I don't think I'd trade that for a more lucrative career abroad..

• Advertisement

Honestly looking back on the past few years I've been at my happiest during GAA season following my native county or praying Mayo beat the Dubs, I don't think I'd trade that for a more lucrative career abroad..

Your probably not the only person in this position and feels the same about it. People are often told they have to travel/etc to gain real life experience/etc but it's for everybody.
    Some people like the simpler things in life or even having a standard enough life(settling down maybe a little young). I find one of the biggest things that makes people doubt themselves is there told by the media/other people. Oh, you've got to XXX is be happy.

deco nate wrote: »
    I don't know what the hell the op means, is it only me?

I love going to gaa matches.

I'm nearly finished a degree with massive job prospects abroad, but few in Ireland.

The idea of staying in Ireland around family, friends and GAA appeals to me greatly, even if it is less appealing from a career/financial POV.

Am I mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Provided you're happy to make your living working in Supermacs or the like - then no you're not insane. Parochial, perhaps, but not insane.

I'm nearly finished a degree with massive job prospects abroad, but few in Ireland.

The idea of staying in Ireland around family, friends and GAA appeals to me greatly, even if it is less appealing from a career/financial POV.

Am I mad?

Well I wouldn't call you mad but you have decide what you want if that makes sense.
    What did you want to achieve when you went to college? Did you want a high flying job or what?
    Can your degree be used in a different field? Lots of people end up in total different places.
    Financially what do you want? Could you achieve what you want where you are or find a way around it?
    Will all your family and friends still be around in a few years? or will they go off abroad move away from the area?

I remember when the discos had to close the bar at 12 on a Saturday night, you wouldn't be long forgetting about your sliotar in them days.
    I'm old, and no night club ever closed at 12! .. ever.,even after a cop rocked up they were told the bar was closed . But this never happened, ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

deco nate wrote: »
    I'm old, and no night club ever closed at 12! .. ever.,even after a cop rocked up they were told the bar was closed . But this never happened, ever!

Read my post again ;)

Am I mad?
    Ahh, yes you are. I take it you are young. Just go were you can make money. And after a few years, if you really want to come back at least you will have money to help you get on the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,701 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If your GF's name is ''insane'' then yes .

Well I wouldn't call you mad but you have decide what you want if that makes sense.
    What did you want to achieve when you went to college? Did you want a high flying job or what?
    Can your degree be used in a different field? Lots of people end up in total different places.
    Financially what do you want? Could you achieve what you want where you are or find a way around it?
    Will all your family and friends still be around in a few years? or will they go off abroad move away from the area?

I went to college simply because it felt like the next step after school. I'm getting near top class marks in most modules. I genuinely had nothing financial in mind when I entered college. I entered a course I was interested in and that was my only consideration (after choosing an IT course based on job prospects a year previous, which I dropped out of).

My degree can likely be used in a different, if not entirely dissimilar, field with perhaps some further education.

From what I'm hearing family and friends should be relatively local on the long term. However this is relatively unimportant as I rarely see them anyway, it's just nice to know they're nearby though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

As a young person with a not-so-in-demand degree (hopefully anyway), I hope to never leave Ireland because I love nothing more than going to GAA matches (neutral or otherwise).

Am I f*cking insane?
    If it's all you want, then no. But then some people have no ambition.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

What's the point in ambition if I'm less happy though?

How do you know you'll be less happy?

Good point.

I think I need to take more risks.

It sort of depends on what your ambition is tough OP!
    Some people want a job near home and to build their own house and others want a big job in the city with a different lifestyle!

By the way OP if you want to give something ago abroad then do it and if you don't like it after a few months you can always come home to Ireland or go some where else.
    I know somebody who left a good job(Which they were very successful at) and went back to college and there on about half of what they could be earning now but there happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

If I was given the opportunity to go and work in Tenerife for a year, at a good job that paid well, Id be away to the airport this evening, GAA be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

you may well be , just like the lads running around the field for nothing winter and summer while the GAA get fat on the admission fee, is it about time they started paying those lads that put there heart and soul into gaelic games, look at them boys across the water poncing around with the best of everything for thousands a week, some of the clubs here don't even have a decent stand to watch the game from or changing rooms etc. Admission cost to Croke Park is a disgrace but still the Paddies keep flocking to it--someone somewhere deep down in the GAA getting very rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The bank I work for is looking for graduates with Hymalayian studies and interpretive dance, you might be in luck op.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

They have sports in other countries

Advertisement