Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I evicted my lodger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Aye Bosun wrote: »
    The OP is the property owner.

The Guy on HAP is a licensee,

Op has received one payment from HAP since September. Therefore no rent paid for 4 months to date

Op gave 2 weeks notice to licensee which is very reasonable in the circumstances. Note ‘reasonable notice is not defined in any legislation and open to interpretation.

Op changed the locks and removed the problem from his home and rightly so.

As this is a licensee arrangement, RTB is unavaible to the HAP guy as this is not under the Tenacy regulations.

Small claims court is open to the HAP guy for rentention of deposit with doesn’t apply in the case.

OP you have nothing to worry about. I’m a owner occupier too, i’ve been in a similar situation before the only thing I would have done different is in relation to his belonging, I would have kept them inside the property and granted him access to collect his stuff while heavily supervised. The fact is tho that your licensee was outside to get his stuff so no damages done but good to know for future reference.

Again, you did nothing outside the law, do not worry about it, get on with your life and forgot him!

440619.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

440619.jpg

Not quite sure what that’s meant to mean..

Not quite sure what that’s meant to mean..

:pac:

Don't worry it's a tangential that you've ended up in by quoting me and missing that I've already said that proper notice was given. Marcusm decided to bring me down a peg and Pilly piled in without reading my earlier posts. The law student jibe seems to have been completely missed but then I have a singular sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No wonder people on HAP can’t find Accomodation. Another thing that would have put me off ever before thus layabout moved in, unemployed they’d be in the house all day long meaning increased wear and tear, increased utility usage and general annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Don't worry it's a tangential that you've ended up in by quoting me and missing that I've already said that proper notice was given. Marcusm decided to bring me down a peg and Pilly piled in without reading my earlier posts. The law student jibe seems to have been completely missed but then I have a singular sense of humour.

Ah I didn’t even realise i’d quoted you, sorry about that, was meant to be an independent post. My bad 🀗

• Advertisement

Ah I didn’t even realise i’d quoted you, sorry about that, was meant to be an independent post. My bad ��

Ah sorry on my part also. It was a good synopsis to be fair I'm just in an odd mood. As the thread had sort of run it's course I was messing... sorry to you and the OP. I'll shut up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

gark wrote: »
    Indeed Threshold can do nothing, but RTB can - according to that person studying law...because of her opinion, at this point I'm only about 70% sure I'm right, and it was like 99% before.

I think she should study a lot more before giving inaccurate opinions.
    Your lodger was a licencee and effectively has no rights....and even less than that if they haven't paid rent.

Nothing will come of this. Get some decent person in who'll pay rent. There are lots to be found. In fairness, having a troublesome time with somebody living in your house (either as a licencee or as a tenant) makes you really appreciate when you get somebody good. Good tenants are worth their weight in gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Eitherway the licencee is entitled to reasonable notice in RAR scenarios. If you're trying to prove you know more than me drunk (or with a broken keyboard), fair enough we know you do it doesn't change the fact that every piece of advice out there from threshold to citizens advice say reasonable notice has to be given.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be rude in any way. I thought this might have come up before - apologies if I am wrong. I just thought eviction was in the context of someone who occupied as a lawful tenant and ejectment related to those who occupied on another lawful basis (such as an overstaying guest).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Just saw this too,; didn't mean my post to be taken this way at all. I really enjoy your contributions and frequent explanations.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Just saw this too,; didn't mean my post to be taken this way at all. I really enjoy your contributions and frequent explanations.

Ah sorry. Being oversensitive. Very much appreciate your posts have learnt a lot from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 gark

Update:

"I think you will be allright" - That's what they told me in FLAC after I had told them the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

gark wrote: »
    Update:

"I think you will be allright" - That's what they told me in FLAC after I had told them the story.

Excellent news:).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Very interesting that Threshold would show up hassling you and defending a guy who hadn't paid rent for four months. What gives them that mandate.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Very interesting that Threshold would show up hassling you and defending a guy who hadn't paid rent for four months. What gives them that mandate.....
    Depends on what they were told by the guy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

kbannon wrote: »
    Depends on what they were told by the guy

This is it. I’m often highly amused by how a tenant will initially present their version of events, and how the story will change after some Judge Judy like gentle interrogation.
    One girl said initially that she was being unfairly evicted for what the landlord alleged was vandalising his property. Initially she alleged that this vandalism was just normal wear and tear, but after 15 minutes or so she admitted that she did have the bath taken out to turn the bathroom into a small rescue center for cats....in a house with a specific no pets clause....but she was going to have the bath put back in when the cats had been rehomed...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

I would imagine that the person who presented themselves as working for threshold was one of the tenant’s friends. Just an attempt to intimidate you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Beethoven9th

pilly wrote: »
    Nothing to worry about. A lodger in your house has no rights.

Everyone has rights....

Everyone has rights....

The RTB is the governing body in Ireland dealing with tenancies and the rights and obligations of both tenant and landlord.
    As someone who you have allowed to rent a room in the house in which you live is not a tenant, and you are not a landlord, then none of those rights or obligations pertain to either of the parties, licensee or homeowner.

splinter65 wrote: »
    The RTB is the governing body in Ireland dealing with tenancies and the rights and obligations of both tenant and landlord.
    As someone who you have allowed to rent a room in the house in which you live is not a tenant, and you are not a landlord, then none of those rights or obligations pertain to either of the parties, licensee or homeowner.

No but there is a right to reasonable notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

im amazed how some people take such things lightly, Op mentioned just first payment, no idea of duration, but come first day cash has to be in the acc if its not should be final notice and good bye out the doors.

just draft proper letter of rules next time get person to sign it take photo of both, your house your rules simple, dont see how some people put up with such crap, i know theres plenty of s***y landlords but none the less its same with tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The guy in the OP's case was given two weeks. Do you think this is insufficient for someone who refuses to pay rent?
    Too many people encouraging the entitlement culture :(

Where will the licensee take they’re complaint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

They can talk to Joe. ;)

....or make a tiny model of the evil homeowner and stick voodoo pins it either .....

They could, if bloody mined enough, take it to the District Court.

kbannon wrote: »
    The guy in the OP's case was given two weeks. Do you think this is insufficient for someone who refuses to pay rent?
    Too many people encouraging the entitlement culture :(

You know very well to which post I was replying too, even quoted it too.

It's hardly an entitlement culture to be given a 48 hours notice to find a new home. Too many people encouraging a return to the good ol' days of people tied to the fecking land.

They could, if bloody mined enough, take it to the District Court.

I’d imagine you’d need legal representation for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Nope.

You don't need legal representation in any court in the state if you are representing yourself.

I would love to know where the misinformation comes from.

So, I’d be appearing in court alleging which law had been broken? Would the judge not want to see evidence?
    Can the homeowner also go to court unrepresented and look for the unpaid rent?
    I ask because I’m guessing that unless the licensee could provide evidence that he did in fact pay rent, then the judge would find in the homeowners favor?

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    So, I’d be appearing in court alleging which law had been broken? Would the judge not want to see evidence?
    Can the homeowner also go to court unrepresented and look for the unpaid rent?
    I ask because I’m guessing that unless the licensee could provide evidence that he did in fact pay rent, then the judge would find in the homeowners favor?

Sworn testimony on both sides and the homeowner could of course counter sue assuming he knew how to file etc. correctly. I assume and am open to correction there would need to be further evidence of rent owed on that side though.

Advertisement