Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car crash. How to prove I was in the right?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

If you had enough time to pull the handbrake, flash your lights and brace for impact, would you not have had sufficient time to hoot the horn to alert the other driver in a clearer way than flashing your lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

They shouldn't have flashed and it could have caused a sight issue for the other driver. You also must consider a flash from a stopped vehicle is usually a prompt from the flasher to the other vehicle to proceed.

That's irrelevant. If you drive into a stopped/parked vehicle, it's your fault. Even if that car is parked sideways in the road with a disco ball on top.

Assuming the OPs car was actually standing still, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It could be argued that's what the op did to the oncoming driver.

If possible I slow down and look away from the light source. I was instructed to look towards the edge of my side of the road.

I think you have to use your own judgement, rather than simply and blindly refer to what "I was instructed".

You would rather proceed with full beams at you, than give them a quick flash, based on being "instructed" that lights are for illumination only?

What happens if you come across something blocking other side of the road around a bend. Would you warn others? I guess not, as you were "instructed" not to use lights except for illumination.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Bruthal wrote: »
    I think you have to use your own judgement, rather than simply and blindly refer to what "I was instructed".

You would rather proceed with full beams at you, than give them a quick flash, based on being "instructed" that lights are for illumination only?

What happens if you come across something blocking other side of the road around a bend. Would you warn others? I guess not, as you were "instructed" not to use lights except for illumination.

Right here in the scenario outlined in the op, flashing lights are regularly used by a stopped vehicle to beckon someone that is on coming. Not to warn them they should not proceed.

How can something that doesn't have a distinct meaning be used as an affective form of warning? You only consider it in hindsight with the op's story. Out of such context I've never seen it to tell someone to stop or effectively warn a hazard ahead.

Making stuff up as you go along doesn't show experience, but highlights how people use the same thing to communicate too many different types of messages. You need to stop doing it. Just like people who use hazard lights to excuse sh!te parking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wildcard7 wrote: »
    That's irrelevant. If you drive into a stopped/parked vehicle, it's your fault. Even if that car is parked sideways in the road with a disco ball on top.

Assuming the OPs car was actually standing still, of course.

There can be contributing factors.

Advertisement