Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday 3rd February - Champion Hurdle Day

Options
  • 02-02-2018 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭

May as well get the ball rolling for each day of Leopardstown.

JJ Quinn with a rarity of bringing a horse to Ireland with Dicky Johnson booked to ride. Runs in the 4.05. Will be keeping an eye on him for sure.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Looking forward to seeing Yorkhill over 2m

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The Mig wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing Yorkhill over 2m

I think Townend on him is a negative tbh.

The best horse in the race by a long way however and evens could look big by Saturday night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Slattsy wrote: »
    I think Townend on him is a negative tbh.

The best horse in the race by a long way however and evens could look big by Saturday night.
    Kevin Blake made a good point about Leopardstown not being the ideal track for the horse due to the fences being standalone compared to Cheltenham having the rail to his left the whole way round nearly. Hopefully puts up a decent enough performance but will probably see him at his best March 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Score on Yorkhill Footpad Faigheen treble. PP wouldn't give price in shop for arkle

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

Anyone confirm if they seen a Philip Hobbs horsebox or Defi Du Seuil on Irish soil?? :D
    Drifting by the minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Went for these so far

Leopardstown 3:30

I think this market is all wrong. Obviously Faugheen wins in a canter if he is fit but none of the other are anywhere near. I actually think that on form this year Jezki is a short price to chase him home. On a line through Coquin Mans there is nothing between Jezki and Melon at all. Ok Melon has more chance to improve but on better ground here I think Jezki is a huge price at 33/1. Hopefully there is still 8 in the field when it kicks of tomorrow. I do have a small worry in my mind that he could be going for the County, but being placed here wouldn’t really affect his mark anyway. I can’t resist a tiny just in case bet on Identity Thief. He was a near top class hurdler that didn’t take to chasing last year. He also has a perfect record fresh of 111. 80/1 is worth a bet

2.5 Points EW Jezki 33/1 Paddy/Betfair/victor 25/1 generally
    1 Point EW Identity Thief 80/1 Paddy/Betfair

Leopardstown 4:05

De Name Escapes Me on the face of it looks up against it here. He has been chasing this year without setting the world on fire. I do think he may be suited to this race and he is the choise here or Mark Walsh. This is a gut feeling selection so well take a bit of EW 6 places in paddy and sky

1 Point EW 6 place 33/1paddy/sky 33/1 generally

I backed De Name Escapes Me when I seen MW was down to ride.
    Really thought I'd see the price contract..... but no move yet. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lloyderz

Between the front two in the market. Dortmund Park and Carter McCkay. Dortmund Park very impressive the other day, but at the prices I'll side with Carter McKay 7/2. A nice run in behind Getabird last time out, and will appreciate the step up in trip being an ex-p2p horse who won over 3m (heavy) between the flags.

Yorkhill 5/6 Jumped lovely in his first circuit around Leopardstown the last day before finding 3m too much. Paul choosing him over Min further cements the confidence.

Footpad 4/7 wins this and the Arkle at Cheltenham. Demi Sang 5/1 w/o Footpad the bet at the odds.

Kilfenora 10/1 ew Already getting heavily backed. A winner at Navan over 2m on heavy ground and bottom weight of 9-10.

Faugheen 11/10 will be back to his best and win. Take the price 11/4 for the champion hurdle tonight. Supasundae 22/1 e/w. Gave Apples Jade a race the last day.

Off You Go 7/1 for Charles Byrnes. He is off 123 and needs to go up a good few pounds to go to Cheltenham for the likes of the Martin Pipe. Nice low weight.

I think this is one of the best bumpers Leopardstown has ever seen. Plenty of ex P2P horses in the mix. 8 of 9 in the field have all won last time out. For me Blackbow 5/2 is my pick. I know Patrick speaks very highly of this horse, and the way he battled to win his race at Leopardstown over Christmas tells you he is tough. At bigger odds Brace Yourself 12/1 is a solid bet e/w. Couldn't of been more impressive when winning by 24l in Down Royal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

I simply can't back Faugheen but if you were close to Mullins yard and knew he was back to his best then odds against is bonkers.

No bet but hopefully he wins and it sets up a clash against Bouvair in March

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Fanny **** wrote:
    I simply can't back Faugheen but if you were close to Mullins yard and knew he was back to his best then odds against is bonkers.

Mullins doesn't even seem to know how he'll run.

Fluctuating market during week would seem to back that up.

As likely to be pulled up as he is to win by a hurdle.

• Advertisement

In the 1.45 pity there's not 3 places although I'm still tempted to put a few shillings on Ordinary World currently 40/1
    Anything can happen ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

ziggy wrote: »
    I’m not close to the yard and don’t claim to be ITK at all but I have been told by someone who has given me good info in the past that faugheen has a heart issue and is finished.

I won’t be having a bet in the race myself but just wanted to pass that on.

Will be interesting to see if there is any truth to this

if hes finished; why run him tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

There's no way the most cautious man in training would risk running a horse with a heart condition. Easily tested too. Can't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Tully east nap

If Faugheen runs tomorrow lets hope he's back to himself and runs well.

I think Bapaume is being overlooked by everyone. Was 25/1 now down to 14s and that's my ew bet on that race.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Tully east nap

Won't be trying tomorrow, all about the festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

ziggy wrote: »
    Apparently he has been tested. Twice.

I’ve no idea how accurate this is TBH but I believe my contact is sincere. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    I’m not trying to stir up anything here and I won’t be betting in the race, just passing on info.

This makes me think he will win by a hurdle no offence on the info, sincere as the Mullins are too.

2:55

Ted Veale is a very decent jumper of a fence judging by his last good chase run, and has since got to his highest rating ever on the flat. He has 2 poor runs over hurdles in December but I wonder will be take part here today of a workable mark. He has plenty of top class runs in big handicaps and maybe today will be no different. 33/1 is well worth the risk. I’m also going with Three Stars who has been a touch disappointing since a good novice campaign. This trip will suit him and I expect a bit of improvement today again 33/1 is value.

1 Point EW 33/1 Ted Veale 5 places paddy/Betfair
    1 Point EW Three Stars 33/1 5 places Betfair/Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

West Approach drops back to 2 1/2 miles today having travelled well in the Feltham and he's unbeaten over the trip over fences including when Modus fell when looking beaten. He had a huge hurdles racing and is overpriced in this field at 12s at Sandown and 40s for the JLT

Small bet on Some Plan in the handicap chase at Leop at 14s and Veinard will probably travel well and find nothing in the coral hurdle but at 33s is worth the risk

Jezki w/o Faugheen
    Just in case Faugheen is at his imperious best I’m going to top up my Jezki bet with a point w/o fav at up to 18/1 on bet 365
    1 Point w/o Fav 18/1 365 16/1 generally

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Seriously if Mullins team knew Faugheen had a dicky heart would he really be as short as 11/10?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Jezki to place , three places, 7/2 .....huge price

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

I remember seeing Peace News hack up at Cork last year and thinking I'd seen a nice animal. He was a little unlucky when falling 2 out in the Royal Bond when coming to mount a challenge, and his form is very patchy since. If he's fit enough and not just out for a spin I think 33s is worth a pop of this mark with the jockey also taking 7 off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Some are more confident than others

Musselborough
    Coup De Pinceau   2pts @ 7/4
    Southfield Theatre 2pts ew @ 9/1

Sandown
    Cepage 2pts @ 10/3
    Cyrname           2pts @ 3/1
    Ballydine 2pts @ 6/1

Wetherby
    Pearl Royale 2pts @ 5/1

Leopardstown
    Bel Ami De Sivola 1pt ew @ 11/1
    Bel Ami De Sivola 4pts @ 7/1
    Nearly Namad  1pt ew @ 14/1
    Tudor City 3.5pts ew @ 25/1
    Rhinestone 2pt ew @ 6/1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

ah cobden don't do that to me

I'll take 5s on Carter here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

was townends ride there a bit over zealous?

• Advertisement

What a ride by Townend :D

Advertisement