Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match preview & thread: FRA vs IRE (Sat Feb 3, 1645)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

My tactics would be to give the ball to Earls and Stockdale who have been starved of possession an awful lot more frequently. Play more ball in hand is something that this team is capable off. Unfortunately under a strict disciplinarian like Schmidt, that is never going to happen. Again the lack of offloading is plain obvious to see. PLAY WITH MORE WIDTH PLEASE. That would be my message for the second half.

Yeah, and you'd go backwards at a rate of knots once your wingers get caught behind the gainline as you just shift it from side to side. You can't go wide until you have clean ball, and its hard to get clean ball before you start winning the collisions. France aren't great but they're not rolling over like South Africa did.

mfceiling wrote: »
    What would your tactics have been?

My tactics would be to give the ball to Earls and Stockdale who have been starved of possession an awful lot more frequently. Play more ball in hand is something that this team is capable off. Unfortunately under a strict disciplinarian like Schmidt, that is never going to happen. Again the lack of offloading is plain obvious to see. PLAY WITH MORE WIDTH PLEASE. That would be my message for the second half.
    We haven't 'earned the right to go wide' once. It absolutely is our intention to widen the pitch, but France have had far too much joy slowing the ruck ball down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Joe Schmidt's gameplan is simple. Bully the French into a attritional, dog-fight warfare and use the crash ball and kicking game frequently. That does not seem to be a sign of this tactical genius that many believe the New Zealander is particularly among the media and pundits alike.

We may win but boy this is painful to watch.

Some people

It’s lashed rain all week in France, the ball is like a bar of soap

Exactly what tactics do you want to play?

He would be a complete dope if he told them to go out and start throwing ball around and lose the game

France will be wrecked come 60 mins, then let the backs get involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Play those tactics and lose.....

Great if nice sunny day but it’s not that day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Ireland have contained France very well, keep tagging on points and should be fine. Ryan and Aki having impressive 6N debuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ireland are ahead of France so far with the lead. I will now wish that the game in the 2nd half will flow so much better because the 1st half was a hard one to follow for either side. There have been some great Irish performances from Earls, Aki & Ryan. VDF is the biggest loss of this half with his nasty leg injury. Ireland missing the potential try from France was just short of a miracle. The intensity of the game though is very deflated & boring. We need to include tries to bring that intensity up a lot more because neither side is guaranteed to win it with no tries whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Unfortunately under a strict disciplinarian like Schmidt, that is never going to happen. Again the lack of offloading is plain obvious to see.

You mean fortunately. Joe's game is far more complex than that amateur era tactic. And that lack of offloading is a joy to see. These guys are drilled to perfection, and offload-and-hope very well ironed out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Ireland have contained France very well, keep tagging on points and should be fine. Ryan and Aki having impressive 6N debuts.

yep either my motm so far

• Administrators Posts: 53,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not that impressed with us so far at all, we look flat. The forwards are a bit disappointing and I'm not sure we can single out the back row.

We're allowing France to drag us down to their level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Solid half, pack is slogging it out at the moment, should gain the upper hand after 60 mins... JVDF is a loss...no doubt... think we'll stretch them and Murray, Aki and Earls will profit....I'd nearly put a few quid on McFadds scoring too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chex LeMeneux

Forward battle is fairly even. Although I think our use of the ball has been better. Think bundee at 12 has been class. Few loose box kicks but otherwise OK. Will be interesting to see how Leavy goes at 7. France are a fair bit more organised than expected.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yeah, no. This is why he's the coach and fans are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I think Ireland are playing excellently even if not quite converting it into the points it might. That will come however. 12 point win is on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Gaby Logan getting plenty of sly digs in obviously not an Ireland fan ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Yeah, and you'd go backwards at a rate of knots once your wingers get caught behind the gainline as you just shift it from side to side. You can't go wide until you have clean ball, and its hard to get clean ball before you start winning the collisions. France aren't great but they're not rolling over like South Africa did.

I know that the old saying is you have to earn your way i.e winning collisions etc. But we're continuing these one out runners as our 2 way attacking play along with the pathetic over use of the crash ball in areas like the French 22.

As I said we will probably go on and smash the French to the ground and probably get the win. But this is so one-dimensional it is hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭seamusk84

This TV3 coverage is garbage. How many fecking advertisements do I have to sit through.....No proper analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

If Ireland keep their discipline they should pull out a 9-12 point winning margin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

If we get two scores ahead meaning next score I think it's game over. Also fitness wise last 20 we should have a big edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Rugbyf565

I think it's unfair to complain about Ireland in the first half, especially being 'too narrow' bull****. Ireland have to grind this out like a dog fight, only way to beat this French side. And we're also winning, don't forget that. A win is a win and that's all that matters, particularly in wet conditions, a hostile crowd and against a tough French pack.

Good game so far. Tight test but France are going to struggle. They are working their socks off and this is the best they are going to be all tournament. Ireland look calmer and more structured and when French legs start to go we're going to find the gaps.

VDF the worst player to lose because he'd have delivered a hard 80 minutes and his work rate is going to be missed in the latter stages. Leavy about to announce himself to the world stage.

LET'S GO IRELAND.

• Advertisement

kilns wrote: »
    Gaby Logan getting plenty of sly digs in obviously not an Ireland fan ðŸ˜

And she an ex Rose of Tralee contestant :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

For all the people calling for more risks and more width. We need to grind out a win and if we are in a commanding lead with ten mins left THEN take the risks but not before.

Needless from Stander, don't do something like that unless you know you can pull it off.

Ryan is very good at rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

We needed that turnover. Well done lads.

• Administrators Posts: 53,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ryan is very good at rugby

It was Henderson turned that over.

Brilliant work Henderson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭elefant

Criminal by Poirot.

awec wrote: »
    It was Henderson turned that over.

Was talking about his earlier carry

• Advertisement

He had to touch it... temptation was too much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement