Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Rowdy Ronda Rousey Thread

• 31-01-2018 7:15am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So she has signed a multi year deal and has pointed out she will be at Mania, what do you expect from the former queen of MMA?

I'm thinking her & Braun vs Steph & HHH at mania this year to ease her in. She then faces Charlotte at Summerslam, her horsewoman face the WWE horsewoman at Survivor series before she faces the undefeated champion Asuka for the title at next years mania after a Rumble appearance (potential win).

Ease her in but get a number of dream matches from her at the big shows over the year while using her mostly like Brock (mostly PPV matches as a special attraction while she gets better in ring).
    rouseymania_0.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

So she has signed a multi year deal and has pointed out she will be at Mania, what do you expect from the former queen of MMA?

I'm thinking her & Braun vs Steph & HHH at mania this year to ease her in. She then faces Charlotte at Summerslam, her horsewoman face the WWE horsewoman at Survivor series before she faces the undefeated champion Asuka for the title at next years mania after a Rumble appearance (potential win).

Ease her in but get a number of dream matches from her at the big shows over the year while using her mostly like Brock (mostly PPV matches as a special attraction while she gets better in ring).
    rouseymania_0.jpg

Hate her music. Hate the gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

not sure if i agree with this statement played apart in making it more womens sports more out there definetly but think we would have got there eventually even without the mma womens being on top

i think trips having 3 girls doesnt get mentioned a lot as im sure its changed his view somewhat to give his girls more to watch then bra & panties matches

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/958557275353841664

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sky88 wrote:
    not sure if i agree with this statement played apart in making it more womens sports more out there definetly but think we would have got there eventually even without the mma womens being on top

Funny thing is I expect Rousey's wrestling matches to be 2 minute squashes. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ERG89 wrote: »
    Funny thing is I expect Rousey's wrestling matches to be 2 minute squashes. :o

i do too

honestly think the tag match is the best idea for her to give her more time to train and adjust then have charlotte at summerslam as the main event

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hate her music. Hate the gimmick.

She's been in the WWE for 5 minutes. Give her a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Moved three posts from News to this thread.

Honestly, I'm fascinated to see what she does. I feel she's a genuine fan who has shown she can have a great work ethic (however you feel about her, she doesn't get to the levels she did in MMA without some sort of great work ethic). If she's motivated, I wouldn't be shocked if she moves towards longer, better matches.

Her gimmick will be the same as Brock's which suits, cause it will cover her lack of experience. Starting off, she can have a few squashes. I'd hope they'll keep her and Asuka apart for a while though and then have those two have a genuine belter of a match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Moved three posts from News to this thread.

Honestly, I'm fascinated to see what she does. I feel she's a genuine fan who has shown she can have a great work ethic (however you feel about her, she doesn't get to the levels she did in MMA without some sort of great work ethic). If she's motivated, I wouldn't be shocked if she moves towards longer, better matches.

Her gimmick will be the same as Brock's which suits, cause it will cover her lack of experience. Starting off, she can have a few squashes. I'd hope they'll keep her and Asuka apart for a while though and then have those two have a genuine belter of a match.

Her Vs Asuka wrestlemania 35

Asuka still unbeaten hopefully and Rousey looking strong should be a great event

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sky88 wrote: »
    i do too

honestly think the tag match is the best idea for her to give her more time to train and adjust then have charlotte at summerslam as the main event

Would have been a great setup if Charlotte was still undefeated on PPV's but they didn't think ahead.
    Hopefully she takes feedback from her matches better than she did in UFC who mollycoddled her to the point she is still ranked in the bantamweight division :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think that Ronda has a genuine love for wrestling will go a long way in her run her and that she isn't just doing it for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I think that Ronda has a genuine love for wrestling will go a long way in her run her and that she isn't just doing it for money.

A friend said she's the second coming of David Arquette, dunno if I'd go to that level but it's not fair on the real women wrestlers busting their gut year in year out so she's going to be very similar to Brock in how she's treated except she probably won't be an exceptional performer like Brock

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Meltzer was on off the ball talking about this yesterday.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/958832408564027393

It is really worth a listen, they dicuss everyting from the boost to WWE's tv rights negotiation, UFC previously stopping Mania bout, their now willingness to let her go there as they could have stopped her, possible return in a few years time, her motivation for going there now versus the perception she was going to settle down in a small town, the change from tv twice a year to regular tv and need to be away.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Conor McGregor's weighed in too..
    I’m delighted for her, absolutely over the moon for her!” McGregor said. “She looked like she really enjoyed herself at the event and I was very, very happy to see her. She’s a pioneer for the game. She’s came through it all and faced big wins and big, big losses and she came through it and it’s great to see her represent herself and mixed martial arts and have fun in the WWE. I know she’s been a big fan of it all through her life, so it’s great to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Do yourself a favour - listen to how Cornette would book Rousey's first year, and then just don't watch her in WWE.

Because this 18 minute video shows just how easy it would be to get it right.... and just how annoying it will be when they get it wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I do think Stephanie can play a key role in all this. Since the success of the Austin/Vince feud they have tried replicating the top face vs heel authority angle constantly, and it has been less effective as the years go by; but I think this can be one of the times where it can work very well.

Stephanie is universally hated by the fans, whether they are casuals or die-hards, and everyone knows she rarely if ever gets her comeuppance. If they want Ronda to be a babyface then positioning her against Stephanie seems to me to be the best way to go.

I do like Cornette's idea of Stephanie talking down to her and patronisingly explaining how things work around here - let's face it, Stephanie can do that promo since she's been burying faces for years with those promos - and all Ronda has to do is cut a promo to the effect of, "you may talk to other people like that but bitch you ain't talking to me like that."

It really shouldn't be too hard to make it work well in the early stages but it will require Stephanie being willing to do what she hasn't done regularly in about sixteen odd years: put other people over at her own expense.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

After 16 years is there any desire to see her at all or will people just say no thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Stephanie is at best tolerated these days and even then that’s only if she’s been away for a while. I don’t think anyone actively wants to see her regularly.

Yeah Stephanie putting over someone besides herself, pigs will fly before that ever happens..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Even if Steph did but Ronda over she would somehow turn it on how amazing she is for doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rousey is set to recur during Season 3 as Lena a firefighter in 9-1-1

https://tvline.com/2019/08/15/911-season-3-ronda-rousey-recur-firefighter/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Rousey is set to recur during Season 3 as Lena a firefighter in 9-1-1

https://tvline.com/2019/08/15/911-season-3-ronda-rousey-recur-firefighter/

Not a good start, almost lost her finger in an injury while on set. Don't look if you're squeamish, NSFW...

https://i.redd.it/bvil5p26ymh31.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

She is also on the new season of Total Divas

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Don’t think so. Ronda struggled badly being boo’d. She has a lot of issues and I think when the crowd turned on her she didn’t take it well at all.

That’s the difference between someone dipping their toes in and a professional wrestler. A pro would have loved the crowd reaction and played into it.

The crowd really got to Ronda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I think its genuine. The woman is very immatue when it comes to any sort of criticism.

The way she went on after her loss to Holly Holm said it all about her character and lack of integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Rousey does seem sensitive to criticism. I just hope Vince doesn't bite and throw a ridiculous contract at her....then again if it's a choice between her and Nia Jax being in the title picture I'll take the former happily.

So basically Ronda's easily rattled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mcdaids69

its a work...shes always does it.she was on gordan ramsey,ramsey was at hers..stevo was on her youtube thing etc...they take her words to serious.she basically is saying wrestlers should be allowed to say wat they want outside in their own homes and not have the talent cant speak to other heels etc..she prob is helping the rosta as shes brillant and contract work etc,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Arguably the greatest heel of them all was her idol. She understands heel work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mcdaids69

shes keeping the fourhorse woman possibilty going as far as i can see as the beckys run is running out of people..and becky is working her in always as well.if you watch divas you see it all ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I guess the starting a family plan didn't work out for her

Advertisement