Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are you a member?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Member in seapoint nearly 3 years now. Think it is great value given there is golf pretty much 365 days of the year and the course isin good nick all winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Joined Ardee this year.

Was at Tara last year for 1 year, Headfort before that for a few years before I took a break from GUI golf.

Are you happy with Ardee so far? i have it on my short list of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

redzerdrog wrote:
    Member in seapoint nearly 3 years now. Think it is great value given there is golf pretty much 365 days of the year and the course isin good nick all winter

Seapoint is a great track, lovely club house as well. The course is always in fantastic condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Happy4all wrote: »
    Are you happy with Ardee so far? i have it on my short list of options.

I am, I should have joined it first off. The course is more what I like, found I played away more often when I was a member of Tara. The staff are nice and the course is in good condition unless there is alot of rain.

A few things if your thinking of joining,

Subs are €900. The extra €100 is for course devolpment.

1st and 11th have new greens and fairway bunkers and won't be in play until Marxh/April or so. Two more holes next year and two again the year after. I think both holes this year are a big improvment on what was there.

From what I've seen so far Saturday and Sunday are quite busy on the time sheet so unless your a single like me it may be hard to get a slot early. You can book well in advance if you know your days off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

I'm a member of Killarney Golf and Fishing Club since a child. Love the place, full of such beauty.

Lucky to call Killarney home with the courses around that we have access to, we do swap days with 3 courses in Kerry so great to get to play them. Also have access to Fota Island (mid week)

Also a member of 2 locals societies which play around the courses in Kerry.

Joining is: Year one 2k (including sub) Year two and so on €1200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

jtown wrote: »
    I'm a member of Killarney Golf and Fishing Club since a child. Love the place, full of such beauty.

Lucky to call Killarney home with the courses around that we have access to, we do swap days with 3 courses in Kerry so great to get to play them. Also have access to Fota Island (mid week)

Also a member of 2 locals societies which play around the courses in Kerry.

Joining is: Year one 2k (including sub) Year two and so on €1200

thats great value
    is the fota thing something else you have or is that part of the Killarney deal?

Seve OB wrote: »
    thats great value
    is the fota thing something else you have or is that part of the Killarney deal?

Ya in fairness - 36 holes plus 9 in Lackabane.... so very rarely you cant get out golfing - Fota comes with membership, reciprocal agreement with both clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Recently just joined the Hermitage

Just itching for some decent weather to get going

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ya in fairness - 36 holes plus 9 in Lackabane.... so very rarely you cant get out golfing - Fota comes with membership, reciprocal agreement with both clubs

All for €1,200. thats a serious deal

Seve OB wrote: »
    All for €1,200. thats a serious deal

Sure is!

http://www.killarneygolfclub.ie/membership-2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭benny79

Its a pity more Clubs don't do things like this that's unbelievable valve!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Recently just joined the Hermitage

Just itching for some decent weather to get going
    Always loved that place, a friend of mine who was in Lisheen and Stackstown was hoping to join there this year, I love all the traditional tight parkland courses in Dublin and would rather play them in preference to any of the big new swanky gaffs, i love killiney and Foxrock kinda have a weird obsession with 9 holers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭newport2

After being in several clubs over the space of 10 years or so, I joined Powerscourt 3 years ago. There for the long term now, really like it and under 20 minutes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Dbu

Has the quality of the greens improved in Killeens?
    Last few times we played there (at various times of the year) they were in a bad way with some sort of disease.

I am, I should have joined it first off. The course is more what I like, found I played away more often when I was a member of Tara. The staff are nice and the course is in good condition unless there is alot of rain.

A few things if your thinking of joining,

Subs are €900. The extra €100 is for course devolpment.

1st and 11th have new greens and fairway bunkers and won't be in play until Marxh/April or so. Two more holes next year and two again the year after. I think both holes this year are a big improvment on what was there.

From what I've seen so far Saturday and Sunday are quite busy on the time sheet so unless your a single like me it may be hard to get a slot early. You can book well in advance if you know your days off though.

heard positives about it. Royal Tara & Knightsbrook a bit expensive,

Probably between Ardee, Blackbush or Royal Tara. Any particular reason you didn't use Royal Tara much?

heard positives about it. Royal Tara & Knightsbrook a bit expensive,

Probably between Ardee, Blackbush or Royal Tara. Any particular reason you didn't use Royal Tara much?

Two reasons which outweighed the positives ( price/practice facilities)

The course. I found it un needfully tough and boring.
    Generally the greens are v.fast and hard, the tee boxes as far back as they can go and the rough is deep. Add the tight drives to this and it doesn't suit me being wild off the the tee. The length removes the option for an irons off the tee aswell.

The time sheet/competition types.
    Generally full on the weekend with societies making a more than regular appearance. Most weeks were team events which didn't suit me as I had no regular playing partners.

I did meet a few people I'd stick my name down beside but never really felt a member if you understand what I mean.

Maybe none of the above is a problem, alot of people like the course it just wasn't for me. They are bringing in a joining fee this year of €1500 if you join after March I think, fee's are up slightly from last year aswell.

Two reasons which outweighed the positives ( price/practice facilities)

The course. I found it un needfully tough and boring.
    Generally the greens are v.fast and hard, the tee boxes as far back as they can go and the rough is deep. Add the tight drives to this and it doesn't suit me being wild off the the tee. The length removes the option for an irons off the tee aswell.

The time sheet/competition types.
    Generally full on the weekend with societies making a more than regular appearance. Most weeks were team events which didn't suit me as I had no regular playing partners.

I did meet a few people I'd stick my name down beside but never really felt a member if you understand what I mean.

Maybe none of the above is a problem, alot of people like the course it just wasn't for me. They are bringing in a joining fee this year of €1500 if you join after March I think, fee's are up slightly from last year aswell.

Thanks.
    Pricing starting @ €950 (Tara), obviously a lot of add ons. I was a member a few years back of a place that shut down. Use to just put my name down for early slot on Sunday mornings and found a few friendly faces to play with. Tara about 10 mins drive, Blackbush 20 mins, Ardee 35 Mins.

Thanks for info.

Distance is my only negative with Ardee, plus I drive home through DunShaughlin which gives me a better chance of playing a few holes after work in the summer. I'm probably best to play them all a couple of times to get a feel for which suits best.

Thanks.
    Pricing starting @ €950 (Tara), obviously a lot of add ons. I was a member a few years back of a place that shut down. Use to just put my name down for early slot on Sunday mornings and found a few friendly faces to play with. Tara about 10 mins drive, Blackbush 20 mins, Ardee 35 Mins.

Thanks for info.

Distance is my only negative with Ardee, plus I drive home through DunShaughlin which gives me a better chance of playing a few holes after work in the summer. I'm probably best to play them all a couple of times to get a feel for which suits best.
    Yeah I'm right in the middle so tara and ardee are 20-25 mins each so distance isnt a factor really.

Ardee have opens every Thursday throughout the year for €15 and Tara for €25 during the counting season.

I can bring you out to ardee for 15 on a casual round on a Thursday (my day off) aswell.

Good luck with your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

I am a member of Royal Tara now for the last 2 years - when I first joined there was a issue with the greens, but thankfully that has been rectified now, and running perfectly, even through-out the recent bad weather. Anyone who has played RT knows hows tight the holes are, especially with number of tree on the course, but in the past 6 weeks or so, many of the trees have been cut from the ground up, which has cleaned up the course, but also added to the pace of play with no rooting around for your ball should you find yourself in the woods !!! Last summer they opened a new driving range, and with very good practice facilities for short game / putting, well stocked pro shop, excellent club pro's, and 27 holes (competitions for members on Guide & Tara Course) - I think it is well worth people checking it out who have not played it in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Joined Dromoland 3 years ago with 3 buddies. Love the course, usually in great nick even during bad weather (have played I’d say 75% of weekends through winter), decent management and pro is spot on but find it tough.

Good thing with joining with buddies is that always have partners. Bad thing with joining with buddies is that don’t interact with other members enough (3 of us are hackers so not in comps that much either).

Member of local community society also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Mushy wrote: »
    Member in Cobh myself, only newly joined but enjoy it. Course is nice, new clubhouse, everyone seems nice there too

I'm a member in Cobh aswell, joined around Sept/Oct 2016 & really enjoying it! some say the course is too hilly but I only find the trek from 3rd green to 4th tee box, 5th tee to fairway & 18th fairway are the only real steep/tough hills.

I found the club very welcoming & fitted in there pretty quickly. great bunch there imo.

as a kid (12-16 yrs old) I was a member in Mallow & hadn't really golfed much from 16 until 32... delighted to back playing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,283 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mushy wrote: »
    Member in Cobh myself, only newly joined but enjoy it. Course is nice, new clubhouse, everyone seems nice there too

I'm a member in Cobh aswell, joined around Sept/Oct 2016 & really enjoying it! some say the course is too hilly but I only find the trek from 3rd green to 4th tee box, 5th tee to fairway & 18th fairway are the only real steep/tough hills.

I found the club very welcoming & fitted in there pretty quickly. great bunch there

Exactly this. Looking forward to the summer when get some actual roll on the ball, it seems like it'll be a different game then

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

Kilkeel, County Down. One of the most underrated courses in the North.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Renewed in the Curragh again this year. I'm under 40, so i get a reduced membership, which is ideal right now.

Only realised the Heritage is actually closer to me, but i enjoy the Curragh for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Kilkeel, County Down. One of the most underrated courses in the North.

Well if you can cope with the couple of "right-angle" holes........but yes, nice course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RadarSports

Dbu wrote: »
    Has the quality of the greens improved in Killeens?
    Last few times we played there (at various times of the year) they were in a bad way with some sort of disease.

Greens are in Fantastic condition now.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Joined Seapoint 3 months back and couldn't be happier. Was a member of Bellewstown as a junior and then through college couldn't afford paying full membership whilst living in Dublin. Was a long distance member of Mannan Castle (lovely track, quite tight, but not great with handling the rain), so pulled the plug on Seapoint in April.

Finding it straight forward enough to adjust to links(had brilliant weather in fairness), but slightly struggling to adjust game back when playing parkland. Either way, looking forward to being able to play right through the winter as opposed to previous clubs through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

wardides wrote: »
    Joined Seapoint 3 months back and couldn't be happier. Was a member of Bellewstown as a junior and then through college couldn't afford paying full membership whilst living in Dublin. Was a long distance member of Mannan Castle (lovely track, quite tight, but not great with handling the rain), so pulled the plug on Seapoint in April.

Finding it straight forward enough to adjust to links(had brilliant weather in fairness), but slightly struggling to adjust game back when playing parkland. Either way, looking forward to being able to play right through the winter as opposed to previous clubs through the years.

Not a member there myself but played it many times over the years. A smashing golf course in very pleasant surroundings. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

I was wondering where are people currently members and if they also are members of a society or even multiple socities.

I'd also be interested to know if anyone changes their home club frequesntly so if anyone has moved clubs recently let us know how it's going.

I'm a Moate GC member since 2002. I also play with a small local society and sometimes the Midlands Intermediate Alliance.
    www.moategolfclub.ie

The last thread on this seems to be 2013 so no point resurrecting a zombie thread.

Witchita,

I’m based in the Midlands but never came across an Intermediate Alliance, can you fill me in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

The Intermediate Alliance is open to all GUI handicap holders whose handicap is above 8 (I think) and it's organised (by a Longford member at the moment) on a society basis every year from about October to March with outings every 3 or 4 weeks usually in Midland clubs like Moate, Athlone, Tullamore, Longford, New Forest, New Headfort etc etc. Sometimes we go to slightly further away ones like the Heritage or Slieve Russell.

I'm P.R.O of Moate and I usually have the details on our notes page when it's kicking off so check back with me in September and I'll give you more details.

Advertisement