Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are you a member?

Options
  • 30-01-2018 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering where are people currently members and if they also are members of a society or even multiple socities.

I'd also be interested to know if anyone changes their home club frequesntly so if anyone has moved clubs recently let us know how it's going.

I'm a Moate GC member since 2002. I also play with a small local society and sometimes the Midlands Intermediate Alliance.
    www.moategolfclub.ie

The last thread on this seems to be 2013 so no point resurrecting a zombie thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

I was a member of Slade Valley in 2015 & 2016, but moved to Powerscourt last year once I bought a house and knew where I'd be living for the long term. It is 15-20 minute drive from home out via Kilternan and is about the same on a weekday evening so it suits me a lot more.

I also have gone to a small number of the boars society outings but didn't get to any last year, but hope to this year

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Galway bay. Been here 5 years after taking a year out. I was previously a member of 5 different clubs but only lasted a year in each as I moved around a lot. been in society at work for large multinational and played a few boards outings under a different name. hope to make a couple this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Grange Castle for the past 2 years but most likely leaving this year and possibly joining Craddockstown. Wasn't a member anywhere before GC.

Play in 3 society's including the boards one rarely and one at work.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Joined Ardee this year.

Was at Tara last year for 1 year, Headfort before that for a few years before I took a break from GUI golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Was in Mount Wolseley up until last year, moved to Carlow and love it.

Mount Wolseley was a great course with lovely members but there just aren’t enough playing. I had some pre conceived ideas but Carlow bit I’m pleasantly surprised. Great club atmosphere and I’m delighted I moved. Everyone has been extremely welcoming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Grange Castle, not sure on renewal. Loved it and enjoyed all games but time-sheet full by 9am Monday morning. Always get out through the cancellation system but cant be too fussy

Really enjoyed opens but 349 seems a bit expensive to pay €25 possibly 20 times a year. Looking at well over 40 quid a round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Blessington Lakes since 1998 when I was a founder member. I served in various capacities through the years and now find myself back heavily involved due to recent circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Mulranny Golf Club way out west! Nine hole course, been a member there for 20 years or so since a junior. Has a cracking view on a clear day.

Member of two societies, one from work and one from local community.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Smurfit K Club, joined last March, first time joining any course after many year playing with a small society once a month. Super course with a lot of work done over the past couple of years. Loving it so far and renewed for this year. So easy to get a slot either Sat or Sun. Looking forward to a great years golf ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

I was previously a member in Westport (originally from Westport) until 2010 when I joined Roganstown, but didn’t really enjoy it. Joined Skerries in 2016 and haven’t looked back since. It is great to be a member of a club that is on my doorstep, it is a great club with lots of active playing members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭BOB81

In my 2nd year in headfort and staying there for forseeable future as recently moved close to the course. Was previously in knightsbrook for one year and moyvalley for 4 years before that. Play in a work society 3-4 times a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Laytown / Bettystown - hadn't barely played half-a-dozen rounds of golf in nearly 15 (since I returned to Ireland) as I thought prices had gone mental - joined when they did away with the joining fee and I thought I'd give it a year to see if I still liked it - I do!

Also play in a work-related society.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Dun Laoghaire - Joined as a Junior in 2000 and was a member up until 2010. Moved abroad and rejoined again in 2016. 20 mins from home so can get there in summer evenings and squeeze in practice and 9 holes.

Was a member of Rosslare from 1994 until 2008 too but only played there for 3 weeks of the year and the odd BH weekend. Having said that I think my membership was £28 for the first few years so got my moneys worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Joined Dromoland this year, came back to the game last year after a long absence. Played with Boards and work society in 2017, also got a lot of games from golf now. Felt time was right to join a club. Got a great group rate from Dromoland as a number of work colleagues joined with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Member in Castlewarden for coming up on 3 years now.

Was previously a member of Grange Castle. Primarily played on Saturday mornings & the timesheet got progressively shorter & shorter while I was there. Wasn't too keen on the changes Synergy made when they took up the lease either. Course is really well maintained, but they widened fairways & cut away a lot of planting to speed up traffic.

Wanted to move somewhere a bit tighter with a view to improving my overall golf & Castlewarden is only about 10-15 minutes drive from home so it was a good fit for me. (it may not have improved my overall golf, but I am much better at hitting out from under trees :o). They've opened a range a year or so ago & have a nice chipping/putting green. Only thing missing is a practice bunker, which is in the works for this year I believe.

They also now do an under 40 "lifestyle" membership which saves a few quid relative to the full membership for the next couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Joined Castleknock just this year. Delighted so far and the credit based membership is perfect for me.

To be honest I think it would suit 80% of people and most just don't realise that!

Was in Corrstown last year and wouldn't turn anyone off it but I know a few in Castleknock and the credit based scheme really appeals to me.

One downside is this Chronogolf ****e, but hopefully that will be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

This is my second year in Galway GC and I'm loving it. It's a few minutes from the house, is always in excellent condition and always a challenge.

I was in Galway Bay before that, an outstanding course and club but the wrong side of town for me. If I lived that side of Galway I'd re-join in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭swededmonkey

zep wrote: »
    Smurfit K Club, joined last March, first time joining any course after many year playing with a small society once a month. Super course with a lot of work done over the past couple of years. Loving it so far and renewed for this year. So easy to get a slot either Sat or Sun. Looking forward to a great years golf ðŸ˜႒

How much is membership there? It would be a course I would thinking of joining full time. Always enjoyed it anytime I played it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

First joined Greystones as junior in 1989 and have always held my membership ever since.

about 4-5 years ago i joined castleknock on their credits system as i live nearby and use the restaurant there a lot. still play most golf in greystones though.

recently joined luttrelstown as an accademy member for use of the practice facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Insecurity Guard

I've been a member of Laytown & Bettystown for years, always planning to get back into playing but really only having the time/interest to play a few casual holes at the weekend. I know - they've been expensive holes.

Over the last two Summers I actually have been getting back to playing more and have done so not at L&B, but at Bellewstown. Enjoyed playing there (grew up playing parkland and prefer it really), and in fact have just joined (€599 full membership).

Now, the K club it is not...but it's a pleasant layout, barely 15 mins from my house, with a small membership so never too busy, and inexpensive. Current plan is to get three cards in there, play some weekend competitions, and see how it goes for 2018.

Subject to the continuing agreement of the better half, I'm still hanging on to L&B for the moment as I'm not sure how things will pan out longer-term. Probably a rather odd story..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Member in roganstown, really like the course and facilities.
    It close to home and work which is a big bonus.
    Course drains well which is a big plus.

Was a member in bellewstown before and really liked it it's a great cheap option to be a member close to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭davegilly

How much is membership there? It would be a course I would thinking of joining full time. Always enjoyed it anytime I played it

The Smurfit Golf Club Membership Rates for 2018:
    MALE MEMBERSHIP:
     Joining fee - €500 (Special Offer - not applicable to enquiries/applications Jan/Feb
    2018)
     €1550 per annum
    **All rates are inclusive of VAT, GUI/ILGU Levies and Insurance**

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Lucan GC since I was 10, so there 24 years now. My grandad joined in the 40s and my dad's been there since he was my age. Bit of a dynasty at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭benny79

Athy GC about 7 years now first and only club I ever joined. But do play a lot of opens of courses around the area ie Castlecomer been one of my favorites, Baltinglass, Kilkea, Rathsallagh, The Heat, Hermitage, Dunmurry springs to name a few.

Good club atmosphere in Athy course is always in super nick they have invested in a lot of new machinery the last few years and this, is very rarely closed. Voted driest course in Leinster on numerous occasions (there came to fame) but the drainage is unnatural there in fairness. How I don't know! must be just the land. plus its 10 mins from my door.

Also a active member of the Boards society and have to say its one of the best societies I've been in and have played in quite a few over the years... All just a bunch of golf nuts just like myself, especially playing in that weather at Corbellis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,490 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

benny79 wrote: »
    Athy GC about 7 years now first and only club I ever joined. But do play a lot of opens of courses around the area ie Castlecomer been one of my favorites, Baltinglass, Kilkea, Rathsallagh, The Heat, Hermitage, Dunmurry springs to name a few.

Good club atmosphere in Athy course is always in super nick they have invested in a lot of new machinery the last few years and this, is very rarely closed. Voted driest course in Leinster on numerous occasions (there came to fame) but the drainage is unnatural there in fairness. How I don't know! must be just the land. plus its 10 mins from my door.

Also a active member of the Boards society and have to say its one of the best societies I've been in and have played in quite a few over the years... All just a bunch of golf nuts just like myself, especially playing in that weather at Corbellis :D

Played Athy for the first time on Monday. Sadly only the back 9 was open, so we played that twice. Course was in great knick. Looking forward to playing it in the summer.

I'm a member in Cahir - It's been ruined over the winter though with the river Suir constantly flooding making across the river unplayable.

Also play a lot in Mitchelstown, Tipp Town (big fan) and Ballykisteen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭benny79

callaway92 wrote: »
    Played Athy for the first time on Monday. Sadly only the back 9 was open, so we played that twice. Course was in great knick. Looking forward to playing it in the summer.

I'm a member in Cahir - It's been ruined over the winter though with the river Suir constantly flooding making across the river unplayable.

Also play a lot in Mitchelstown, Tipp Town (big fan) and Ballykisteen

Sorry to hear that mate never played Cahir! Yeah they look after the course during winter months by staggering it. The winter league is on now which is 13 holes so we either play 1 - 13 or the staggered course. To be honest Im a big fan of this as shows the club is putting the condition of the course first before money and getting it ready for the season ahead.

The back 9 is actually the better 9 imo ..

Played Ballykisteen last year with the boards society super course was well impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,283 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

callaway92 wrote: »
    I'm a member in Cahir - It's been ruined over the winter though with the river Suir constantly flooding making across the river unplayable

We do a family thing each year, think we are heading for Cahir this year. Supposed to be a nice trek.

Member in Cobh myself, only newly joined but enjoy it. Course is nice, new clubhouse, everyone seems nice there too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,490 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Mushy wrote: »
    We do a family thing each year, think we are heading for Cahir this year. Supposed to be a nice trek.

Member in Cobh myself, only newly joined but enjoy it. Course is nice, new clubhouse, everyone seems nice there too

Ya man, ye will enjoy it. The front 9 is better in terms of quality of holes, but the back nine is more scenic (Castle/River etc)

Good value for what you get

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Grange Castle, not sure on renewal. Loved it and enjoyed all games but time-sheet full by 9am Monday morning. Always get out through the cancellation system but cant be too fussy

Really enjoyed opens but 349 seems a bit expensive to pay €25 possibly 20 times a year. Looking at well over 40 quid a round

I have that same complaint about GC myself but, having talked to plenty of fellow golfers in other clubs, that seems to be par for the course anywhere...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'd rather be a member of a club with a full time sheet than in a club with an empty sheet

Advertisement