Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

That was one of the best weekends I have had in a while.

Internet went on Tuesday night, heating went on Friday. So I ended up spending the weekend moving from pub to pub getting absolutely wrecked. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

errlloyd wrote: »
    That was one of the best weekends I have had in a while.

Internet went on Tuesday night, heating went on Friday. So I ended up spending the weekend moving from pub to pub getting absolutely wrecked. Brilliant.

vfw7x7l.jpg

The evidence today in the disclosures Tribunal has been utterly bizarre.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The evidence today in the disclosures Tribunal has been utterly bizarre.

Elaborate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

dregin wrote: »
    Elaborate.

I've only seen the headline but something like: According to McCabe, Callinane (the effing top Garda in the country) told a TD that McCabe was abusing his own children.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Jesus H. Has McGuinness given evidence yet?

Rightly or wrongly I've always felt that McCabe drifted at times between reality and fiction. This testimony if true would be stranger than fiction.

That evidence alone if proven would potentially put three people in prison.

It sounds incredibly far fetched though. Really have no idea what to make of it.

Rightly or wrongly I've always felt that McCabe drifted at times between reality and fiction. This testimony if true would be stranger than fiction.

That evidence alone if proven would potentially put three people in prison.

It sounds incredibly far fetched though. Really have no idea what to make of it.

Tusla got involved in the whole child abuse thing, I don't think there's any doubt that part is fiction. There was a file there that existed.

Tusla got involved in the whole child abuse thing, I don't think there's any doubt that part is fiction. There was a file there that existed.

There is definitely some extremely shady and very likely criminal actions taken by members of the Gardai, but there has been some bizarre accusations made by McCabe also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

There is definitely some extremely shady and very likely criminal actions taken by members of the Gardai, but there has been some bizarre accusations made by McCabe also.

Which accusations are bizarre? Are you saying they are not believable i.e. he's lying, or they are so bizarre it's just hard to believe they actually happened?

Going on Callinan's behaviour, words and actions in the whole affair, I know who I find more believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,153 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You may not be moving in the right circles. I can't blame you for being doubtful, but I wouldn't be.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nothing coming out over the last few years shocks me about AGS.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Which accusations are bizarre? Are you saying they are not believable i.e. he's lying, or they are so bizarre it's just hard to believe they actually happened?

Going on Callinan's behaviour, words and actions in the whole affair, I know who I find more believable.

Some of the accusations he's made paint the Gardai at super villain levels of evil. It's almost cartoonish and on the face of it I can't help but believe there is embellishment. That said, there is evidence to support a lot of it and the Gardai have blatantly destroyed evidence and pushed serious allegations against him so who knows.

The entire episode with an alleged victim and her mother (daughter and wife of a fellow Garda) following him around and getting a caution from the local Gardai is like something out of a Paul Thomas Anderson movie.
    prawnsambo wrote: »
    You may not be moving in the right circles. I can't blame you for being doubtful, but I wouldn't be.

I'm certainly not doubtful of everything he is saying and my doubt of some of the things he is saying stems from the accusations being completely off the wall. Potentially true, but utter madness on the part of senior Gardai.

The whole thing makes the Wire seem savoury. I've a few relatives who are in the Gardai and they think the treatment of McCabe is shameful but also think that some of the stuff is inaccurate and a bit off the wall.

I very much hope the next Garda Commissioner is recruited from outside the Gardai.

I very much hope the next Garda Commissioner is recruited from outside the Gardai.
    It'll take a lot more than that.

Some of the accusations he's made paint the Gardai at super villain levels of evil. It's almost cartoonish and on the face of it I can't help but believe there is embellishment. That said, there is evidence to support a lot of it and the Gardai have blatantly destroyed evidence and pushed serious allegations against him so who knows.

The entire episode with an alleged victim and her mother (daughter and wife of a fellow Garda) following him around and getting a caution from the local Gardai is like something out of a Paul Thomas Anderson movie.

I'm certainly not doubtful of everything he is saying and my doubt of some of the things he is saying stems from the accusations being completely off the wall. Potentially true, but utter madness on the part of senior Gardai.

The whole thing makes the Wire seem savoury. I've a few relatives who are in the Gardai and they think the treatment of McCabe is shameful but also think that some of the stuff is inaccurate and a bit off the wall.

I've a few mates in the Gardai too. Anytime it's brought up they are firmly of the belief that nearly everything alleged to have been done to McCabe was done, and done deliberately. They have utter contempt for senior management, including current top brass who they think were firmly on board with Callinan's strategy. I have no doubt Callinan set out to destroy McCabe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Is anyone else getting the Cloudfare "I am not a robot" thing all the time these days?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting the Cloudfare "I am not a robot" thing all the time these days?
    I had a rash of it a few days ago, but it stopped after a while. Usually when I was making a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Came out this morning to find my car had been broken into over night. Addicts on the rumble around town. Pulled through my speakers from the boot, but luckily didn’t see the laptop bag, with two laptops in it. Called the Garda at 8.15, they arrived at 10.15. Two lads were very apologetic about that, not their fault. I’d say that must be hard for them dealing with people who’ve been left waiting that long. Must be seriously under resourced if it takes that long to respond in the city center. Time to pay out for off street parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Jaysus sorry to hear that, will insurance cover it?

• Advertisement

Jaysus sorry to hear that, will insurance cover it?

Yeah they didn’t get much, just and old Iphone 4 I used as an iPod. Insurance covers replacing the windows without affecting my no claims, so it could have been a lot worse.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

huge that John McGuinness will give evidence corroborating McCabe assertions that Callinane told McGuiness that McCabe abused his children !!!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    huge that John McGuinness will give evidence corroborating McCabe assertions that Callinane told McGuiness that McCabe abused his children !!!

Can Martin Callinan be charged with perjury, or would it just be a finding against him in the tribunal report?

Can Martin Callinan be charged with perjury, or would it just be a finding against him in the tribunal report?
    It's not a court case, so no.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's not a court case, so no.

Does that mean it's not sworn testimony? Or does a tribunal have lesser standing than a court and you can lie under oath without fear of sanction?

Does that mean it's not sworn testimony? Or does a tribunal have lesser standing than a court and you can lie under oath without fear of sanction?
    I think it's sworn. But the worse thing that can happen is that the report calls you 'unreliable', 'disingenuous' or 'mendacious'. :rolleyes:

Sure Bertie lied to a tribunal and he’s going to run for President.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Tribunals as they are are a complete waste of taxpayers' money. Discuss.

Tribunals as they are are a complete waste of taxpayers' money. Discuss.

The taxpayers of Ireland in 2011 voted down the notion of Oireachtas committees with expanded powers so quite frankly that's entirely their own doing. They have chosen these tribunals as the method of which we investigate this sort of matter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

IIRC that vote in 2011 allowed commitees to come to a conclusion of fact, or something very close to it.

I just can't trust politicians to do that and that's not incl the far left and Shinners.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement