Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ant-Man and The Wasp

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

She did steal the show but at the same time... They couldn't have telegraphed her role anymore than they did. **** it all the same I look forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Ant-man & The Wasp - 6/10

It really is just more of the same. Marvel have mastered the art of being able to go from huge scale cross-over events (Infinity War) to smaller, self-contained films like this.

The big flaw for me was the lack of focus on the villains. Poor Hannah John-Kamen's 'Ghost' is probably the most underwritten villain in the MCU and the Walton Goggins character seemed to be a set up villain for future films. Neither are given the screen time needed for them to establish a presence in the film.

The two hour running time flew by and Paul Rudd is as dependable as ever. He is a very consistent performer and his charm carries a lot of the movie. It's decent enough but I feel like I've forgotten it all already.

Michelle Pfieffer looks so old now! I barely even recognised her.

Re Michelle Pfeiffer... That was make up I believe. Douglas has a few years on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks so old now? The woman is 60 and looks pretty great I would say! If anything she looks somewhat younger in Antman & The Wasp than she has in some other recent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just finished! That was good.

The mid-credit was like BAM! .. How did I not see that coming! :eek:

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    Just finished! That was good.

The mid-credit was like BAM! .. How did I not see that coming! :eek:

I expected it either as the final scene or post credit.... just didn't think they'd take the entire Pym family out of the equation. Especially Janet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I mean it was absolutely fine. Competent, slick, distracting for its duration but utterly transient. A typical Marvel interstitial then, a metric that by now is as good or bad as the viewer chooses. For anyone watching straight off the high-stakes tension of Infinity War, I could see how it might cause some tonal whiplash mind you, but otherwise was as remarkably "OK" as the other 'B List' MCU films. Which, like I said, is fine. On a technical level, the shrinking/growing FX remain impressive, though the standout was the slightly uncanny de-ageing effects applied to Pfeiffer, Douglas and Fishburne; just slightly the wrong side of 'fake' - but only just (looking at the de-aged Samuel L Jackson in the Captain Marvel trailer suggests they've made further leaps since this film).

The only distracting sore point was the script making the antagonist a little too relatable and sympathetic; to the point where I started hating the ostensible 'good guys' for getting in her way and not trying to reach out to her sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I thought it was good enjoyable fluff. Exactly what it was aiming for: Not the balls-out end-of-the-world stakes of Infinity War but not the straight-up slapstick comedy-fest that was Ragnarok. Just a high-tech heist movie that didn't have to be tied to the rest of the MCU at all

It was just a bit of fun. As a few have said, the girl was cute and not annoying. I typically don't like kids in action movies. They tend to be very grating but Marvel do them well. The daughter in this and especially the kid in Iron-man 3 were great.

The credit sting was fantastic. There was a foreign woman in front of us who literally [/]jumped to her feet and let out a loud squeak (And then proceeded to start gabbing on her phone hyperactively).

Captain America's credit sequence in Spiderman was the funniest but I thought this was the most interesting

Advertisement