Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ant-Man and The Wasp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, good solid fun. A nice little breezy palate cleanser after Infinity War. Pena steals the show - especially the
    truth serum
    scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I really enjoyed the first Ant-Man but I think this is a step down and a fairly forgettable entry for an MCU movie. Making it a fun light weight movie fits with the Ant-Man series and a nice break from the seriousness of Infinity War.

I think the direction is quite good especially the action scenes with The Wasp. She is a cool design and her abilities are used pretty well. The humor is more hit and miss this time but Pena is very funny especially a scene involving truth serum.

The script is the weak link and suffers from too many adversaries. I don't think Randall Park's character works at all and Walter Goggins character feels shoe horned in just to increase the running time.

And despite a lot of marketing, Pfeiffer's role is disappointingly small. There are also a few astonishingly clunky exposition scenes. So overall, a kinda fun movie but nowhere near as good as it could have been with these characters and just feels like it is going through the motions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Compared to the other films and TV series we've got recently, this did seem a bit.... juvenile.
    But I don't actually mean that as a complaint. I actually enjoyed it and didn't feel the time going.
    One of my favourite characters is actually the daughter Cassie (peanut) and if I had a daughter or son around that age, I'd be comfortable letting them watch that movie with me. You need movies like that sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enjoyed it, very fast paced and the special effects were amazing. Lots of humour and easy storyline too follow. The Russian guy was pretty stereotypical but it's only a comic relief character

The first post credit scene is pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Enjoyed it too... good fun, good special effects and good story. Walton Goggins was a bit wasted though.

Hannah John-Kamen is doing well for herself this year, isn't she?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Definitely one you could do without, imo.

Evangeline Lilly was a highlight – very good as The Wasp, but there was zero chemistry between any of the leads. Paul Rudd seemed a little disconnected throughout, although maybe that's just his 'style', and Michael Douglas really didn't seem to be there at all, with lines delivered as though he had just read them for the first time.

Some of the set pieces were fun but didn't make up for lack of engagement elsewhere. And as an "episode" of the MCU, it's a filler / bottle-episode for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I liked it initially...but yeah, it's fine. Some humour but not really roll on the floor stuff, visually impressive, some interesting fight and powers choreography and the Ghost character is very cool. Trailer saturation definitely took away from it for me, I think.

Tough to follow Infinity War. Doesn't really answer why Ant Man didn't make an appearance (and seemingly unaware of what was happening) - he was easily broken out, but never caught any news in relation to events happening around the world.

The post-credit
    snap was interesting, but also doesn't act as an explanation because it shows the timeline is close (but also pre-snap) and therefore Ant-Man should have known that something was going on. Though we should get something in trying to get him back out - presumably linked to Captain Marvel.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Tough to follow Infinity War. Doesn't really answer why Ant Man didn't make an appearance (and seemingly unaware of what was happening) - he was easily broken out, but never caught any news in relation to events happening around the world.

The post-credit
    snap was interesting, but also doesn't act as an explanation because it shows the timeline is close (but also pre-snap) and therefore Ant-Man should have known that something was going on. Though we should get something in trying to get him back out - presumably linked to Captain Marvel.

Ant-Man & The Wasp is set before Infinity War, likely by a few weeks or months
    (given that they then had time between the end of the movie and the post-credits scene to build a new Quantum Tunnel and be able to fit it in the back of the van). Only the post-credits scene occurs at the same time as the events of Infinity War. IW happens over a pretty short period of time too, maybe two days at most. But aside from the attack on New York which happened and was over pretty quickly, no-one called Scott in to help or told him what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah plus Scott is likely very paranoid about working with the avengers again, as it would mean life imprisonment and bye bye daughter if hes caught. Plus from the outside looking in to the Avengers/Thanos dilemma, all that would have been on the news, would have been a ship attacking NY and then leaving. The majority of the IW movie is set in another galaxy and Wakanda, so the rest of the world has no clue whats going on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Painful stuff. Couldn't wait for it to end.

The bones of the story was interesting enough but wasn't fleshed out enough to the degree where you'd be engaged in it let alone engrossed.

3/10.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Mr E wrote: »
    Couldn't find a thread on this... First trailer.

Seen it! very good movie just a really fun movie to chill out and watch... way better than deadpool 2 which i thought was complete muck!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I was pleasantly surprised by the first Ant Man movie but wasnt holding out much hope for this one, given we had a month to wait to see it in Europe, most of the big stuff had been spoiled for me, mainly the mid credit scene.

I have to say, the weeks of trailers before our "official" release really killed the film for me and a lot of the good scenes had already been seen.

I like Langs character and we seen more of the human side of a superhero but I think the movie was Marvels weakest so far in the MCU, apart form the mid credit scene, there is nothing that hasnt been seen before with Ant Man or the Wasp, Ghost was a cool character but herself and Foster were pretty weak and inconsequential in the grand scheme of things and arms dealer and his thugs were near pointless other than offering some light comic relief.

It was always going to be on a hiding to nothing directly following IW and I was willing to give it a pass and lower expectations but I didnt really enjoy that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Enjoyed it a lot, was a fun, breezy, light affair. Great action sequences and special FX for the most part, though for some reason I found the quantum realm a little underwhelming.

Paul Rudd was good, a few nods to his I Love You Man and This is 40 type characters
    (when he's hanging out in his house for the last two days - he might as well have been "slappin' the bass mon")

Evangeline Lilly was grand, as was Ghost and Pena was really good. Douglas was phoning it in; not sure if he was doing it on purpose but a lot of his dialogue was slurred. I wonder was that a result of his cancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

GavRedKing wrote: »

I have to say, the weeks of trailers before our "official" release really killed the film for me and a lot of the good scenes had already been seen.

Yeah I've started to not watch trailers for movies now, well i try my best, some movies i might give in.. But this movie i looked away when ever a trailer for it appeared. The only familiar scene in the movie for me was the giant
    hello kitty pez tumbling through traffic
    . Everything else was fresh and it paid off, i enjoyed it from start to finish.

#dontwatchtrailers #makeourtrailersvagueagain

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I really enjoyed it! The story was pretty basic, but I thought it very funny and a leave your brain at the door kind of movie.

It's very hard to follow infinity wars!! But if you're a big fan of the avengers, you need to watch the mid-credits scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Thought it was great, really enjoyable. Good fun like the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Mr E wrote: »
    Enjoyed it too... good fun, good special effects and good story. Walton Goggins was a bit wasted though.

Hannah John-Kamen is doing well for herself this year, isn't she?
    Johner wrote: »
    Thought it was great, really enjoyable. Good fun like the first.

I agree. Loved the first movie. Don't get all the dislike for it.

Seen it this evening. Really enjoyed it. Thought it was very funny. There was one scene in the middle of it that I did not like and thought was terrible but otherwise it's a great movie. 9 out of 10 from me

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I thought the movie itself was fine, nothing completely terrible, usual Marvel stuff. However, what exactly was the purpose of this $200million, barely profitable movie? Released after Infinity War, but set before it, why? I've read the term "palate cleanser", but after the dramatic IW, I just thought "mediocre". And Evangeline Lilly is a terrible actress. What has she done the past decade besides Marvel? Real Steel and the Hobbit movies. She sucks.

Besides the mid-credits scene, this and IW could have easily switched released dates. Actually, Ant-Man and The Wasp could have been released anywhere the past two years, since Civil War, and been fine, but 2/3 months after IW, and it felt so...average. Are we going to get a timeline-screwed "palate cleanser" movie after every huge Avengers movie? Spider-Man: Far From Home, Peter Parker's European Vacation Palate Cleanser, sounds kinky.

As for the mid-credits scene,
    they could have just shown up to Ant-Man stuck in the quantum realm, and then shown the others disintegrate in an IW credits scene
    , and still have this movie released before IW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

what exactly was the purpose

They just wanted to tell a story: a story about an ant man.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Well if you paid attention during Infinity War, you'd have know why this was set before the events of said movie, as it explained where Scott and Clint were and why, but the mid credits brought it up to post Thanos snapping his fingers.

As for "barely profitable movie", it's racked up so far to date world wide $429,164,918, and given it's going to be in cinemas a good while yet, it'll rake in more for Disney/Marvel.

Sure it won't bring home what Infinity War brought in, but not every film they make will.

As to why it wasn't released anywhere since Civil War, I'd imagine Kevin Feige has this all laid out as to when each movie would be released, to line up with the bigger story they've been telling leading into and after Infinity War & Avengers 4. I mean you don't build a $17 Billion Dollar franchise without a crystal clear plan in place.

And the timeline screwed, the 8 years in Homecoming was actually an accident confirmed by The Russo's which was corrected in Infinity War when Tony said to Strange that "Thanos has been in my head for 6 years"

• Advertisement

They just wanted to tell a story: a story about an ant man.
    That would be fine if they had a decent story worthy of two hours. They did not.
    Lithium93_ wrote:
    Well if you paid attention during Infinity War, you'd have know why this was set before the events of said movie
    Umm...yeah, I knew that. But thanks for being condescending and assuming I didn't pay attention. Did I imply I wasn't aware of that?
    Lithium93_ wrote:
    As for "barely profitable movie", it's racked up so far to date world wide $429,164,918
    Down to the last dollar, good Wiki'n. It's likely to be the lowest grossing Marvel film since...well, the first Ant-Man film. Also possible it'll be the first Marvel sequel to actually make less than its predecessor, which would be some feat.
    Lithium93_ wrote:
    Sure it won't bring home what Infinity War brought in, but not every film they make will.
    It won't even bring in what Doctor Strange did.
    Lithium93_ wrote:
    As to why it wasn't released anywhere since Civil War, I'd imagine Kevin Feige has this all laid out as to when each movie would be released, to line up with the bigger story they've been telling leading into and after Infinity War & Avengers 4. I mean you don't build a $17 Billion Dollar franchise without a crystal clear plan in place.
    Either its plot is part of the "bigger story", or it's a "fun side-story, a palate cleanser". It can't be both. Having this released anywhere over the last two years, would not have caused any major disruptions to their "bigger story".
    Lithium93_ wrote:
    And the timeline screwed, the 8 years in Homecoming was actually an accident confirmed by The Russo's which was corrected in Infinity War when Tony said to Strange that "Thanos has been in my head for 6 years"
    That goof was not what I was referring to, I didn't mention Homecoming, at all. If you paid attention to my post, I was referring to them releasing a non-chronological side-story film, after a bigger Avengers film.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Having this released anywhere over the last two years, would not have caused any major disruptions to their "bigger story".

The stinger at the end of the credits only makes sense after seeing IW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It was good fun, He is a b list character but we all know that going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

... this and IW could have easily switched released dates. Actually, Ant-Man and The Wasp could have been released anywhere the past two years, since Civil War, and been fine, but 2/3 months after IW, and it felt so...average. Are we going to get a timeline-screwed "palate cleanser" movie after every huge Avengers movie? Spider-Man: Far From Home, Peter Parker's European Vacation Palate Cleanser, sounds kinky.
    They had no reason to switch this with IW, IW did great numbers when it was released, and there's no reason to think that it would have done any better at this time of year. In fact, rightly or wrongly, Marvel obviously felt that the World Cup was going to impact on its movies, so they were never going to release IW during it.
    As for releasing this any time over the last two years, which other movie do you think they should have bumped to fit it in? And would you be saying the same thing now about that film?

Vegeta wrote: »
    The stinger at the end of the credits only makes sense after seeing IW.
    I've already explained how to fix that. I'm not repeating myself.

Johnmb wrote: »
    They had no reason to switch this with IW, IW did great numbers when it was released, and there's no reason to think that it would have done any better at this time of year. In fact, rightly or wrongly, Marvel obviously felt that the World Cup was going to impact on its movies, so they were never going to release IW during it.
    As for releasing this any time over the last two years, which other movie do you think they should have bumped to fit it in? And would you be saying the same thing now about that film?
    I'm of the opinion that this version of an Ant-Man sequel shouldn't have been made at all. I found it pointless. They should have waited until post Avengers 4, to do a chronological Ant-Man 2. Now, with the box office numbers, it might be quite a while until Ant-Man 3, if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I'm of the opinion that this version of an Ant-Man sequel shouldn't have been made at all. I found it pointless. They should have waited until post Avengers 4, to do a chronological Ant-Man 2. Now, with the box office numbers, it might be quite a while until Ant-Man 3, if at all.
    I'd imagine they fully expected modest (by MCU standards) numbers, but wanted a movie in the time slot. It'll still have made them a lot of money, so not a waste by any standard, and it will help keep the MCU in the memory until Captain Marvel, which will also be set pre-IW, and could likely have been released at any stage in the last 30 years without impacting continuity.

From an overall storyline point of view, the main reason I can think of why they wouldn't have wanted either this or Captain Marvel released before IW is that they didn't want to give away the solutions to the outcome before they showed the outcome. Between the quantum realm and Captain Marvel's powers, I'd expect that they will combine to undo/fix the IW outcome. They didn't want those potential solutions known before the snap even happened.

Captain Marvel is a much different situation with it being set decades earlier, before the MCU even began. I'm very interested in the narrative, and how it fits in with the rest of the MCU. I feel it'll be a lot less of a side-story or generally pointless, compared to Ant-Man 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I thought it was brilliant as I said already. I enjoyed it way more than that average IW film that everyone keeps thinking was good. I can't wait for Ant Man 3.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The May release is always reserved for their biggest release that year. All the Avengers movies, CA: Civil War, GOTG 2, all the Iron Man movies. No way they would have ever given that slot to AM&TW and had IW later in the summer.

Advertisement