Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canelo v GGG II 5/5/18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

If Canelo stays on his feet he'll get the decision.

GGG better go to the body more this time and make Canelo's dodgy gas tank more of a factor. Still no idea why he completely abandoned going to the body in the first fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

GGG is getting on, this is probably his last big fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

It's on?! It was always on!!
    Please let it be The Garden:P

It’s going to be Vegas

• Advertisement

Cinco de Mayo would have to be in a Southern venue. Maybe if they can get Dallas Cowboys Stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

pac_man wrote: »
    I thought Golovkin won the first fight(I think the majority of people thought he did) but Canelo would benefit more should a rematch happen. I think we are seeing a Golovkin that is past his peak.

Think Golovkin spent his best years in obscurity sadly. But at least he got his big fight. Many like him don't.

I thought the first fight was very close, and I think it will probably be just as close this time. Don't see anyone getting the nod over Canelo in those circumstances.

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Stone Curler

Golovkin is about four year's past his best, the power is fading, hence zero damage on Canelo's face after the first fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Golovkin is about four year's past his best, the power is fading, hence zero damage on Canelo's face after the first fight.

Either that or he was just feasting on very basic opponents...blown up junior middles and welters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

walshb wrote: »
    Either that or he was just feasting on very basic opponents...blown up junior middles and welters?

Tbf golovkin had been actively seeking a fight with canelo since the latter half of 2014 so it's not like he was content with easy fights.

He's also clever enough to have known moving up in weight would've been a mistake as his style is all wrong for overcoming the pretty sizeable physical disadvantage he would have had to contend with.

So it was basically keep plugging away at middleweight hoovering up titles or cash out for a payday against ward. Most likely lose on points and then contend with the possibility of fading into obscurity or getting rode on the split for future big fight purses.

• Advertisement

I just disagree that he is four years past his best....looking sh1t hot against the likes of Mathew Macklin is a lot different than facing a Canelo, or even a Jacobs...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

giphy.gif

When I heard the news, I was pretty much like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Bank Holiday on the Monday so can watch it live with a few beers with no worries about getting up Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Will the judges be the same too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

No real surprise. All the financial incentives are there and the venue is top notch.
    $300 plus charges the cheapest ticket again.
    Love to go but.............

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

There's huge money to be made off Canelo and I imagine he's the industry favourite so GGG will need a stoppage or a hugely dominant display; I had Golovkin winning the last fight but I can see Canelo outpointing him too if he ups his game and Golovkin has started to fade.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'm not convinced Triple G is in decline at all. He just has not looked as effective against better opposition.

I'm not convinced Triple G is in decline at all. He just has not looked as effective against better opposition.

At 35 it's safe to say he's in some sort of a decline.

Now it's obviously a very minor decline but time waits for no man.

Now it's obviously its a very minor decline but time waits for no man.

How many hard fights has he had up until the Jacobs one? I'm not swayed by this argument. I think he has looked a bit more cumbersome/weary once he faced better opposition. That said i think he beat Canelo last time. I would back Saunders to beat him if he can withstand Golovkin's power.

• Advertisement

How many hard fights has he had up until the Jacobs one? I'm not swayed by this argument. I think he has looked a bit more cumbersome/weary once he faced better opposition. That said i think he beat Canelo last time. I would back Saunders to beat him if he can withstand Golovkin's power.

Hard fights or no hard fights he's near looking down the barrel of 40 at this stage. 36 in a months time yet you still feel he's as sharp as he was at 30?

I don't disagree about the level of opposition point at all tbh however I do disagree that its as cut and dry as that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭Pluto Planet

Now it's obviously a very minor decline but time waits for no man.

Compare videos of him last year versus 2013, he was much sharper back in 2013, even his physique was leaner.

Hard fights or no hard fights he's near looking down the barrel of 40 at this stage. 36 in a months time yet you still feel he's as sharp as he was at 30?

I don't disagree about the level of opposition point at all tbh however I do disagree that its as cut and dry as that.

I definitely do.Some fighters, who look after themselves, are still in their prime in their mid- thirties. Also it's not as if he has accrued a lot of wear and tear from hard fights over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Canelo has popped for Clen, same levels of common meat contamination levels in Mexican meat. Will probably all blow over in a few days in all reality seeing as the excuse is already set. I'm shocked they let Canelo pop though. Either he was caught off guard or he's using a street dealer to get his stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Genuinely feel bad for GGG. You couldn’t stack a fight so much against someone if you tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Urindanger wrote: »
    Canelo has popped for Clen, same levels of common meat contamination levels in Mexican meat. Will probably all blow over in a few days in all reality seeing as the excuse is already set. I'm shocked they let Canelo pop though. Either he was caught off guard or he's using a street dealer to get his stack.

He really should lose the fight but it will go ahead no doubt. Too much money in it. Dirty sport.

He really should lose the fight but it will go ahead no doubt. Too much money in it. Dirty sport.

It’s not a dirty sport. It’s one incident. It’s people. It’s life...

Life can be a bit dirty from time to time...the sport is not dirty..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

walshb wrote: »
    It’s not a dirty sport. It’s one incident. It’s people. It’s life...

Life can be a bit dirty from time to time...the sport is not dirty..

Dirty sport in general, not just boxing it’s everywhere.
    When there is big money in it, it gets covered up and brushed under the carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Dirty sport in general, not just boxing it’s everywhere.
    When there is big money in it, it gets covered up and brushed under the carpet.

Agree hence why strict actions are rarely carried out. Saw Liam Smith and Saunders make some rather playful jabs at Canelo after the news but deep down I suspect no boxer gives a f*ck as they all know what's going on.

I guess at least Boxing is trying to do something about it compared to sports like Football and Basketball that turn a complete blind eye to it almost. Too much money, top much power. When you see guys in Cycling who get away with it for so long, being subjected to far stricter testing and in a sport that makes pittance compared to Boxing, and then Football, Tennis and Basketball above it, it kind of opens your eyes a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Urindanger wrote: »

I'd find it more believable that he picked it up through tainted meat than the alternative - that an elite boxer is taking clen.

Advertisement