Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Commercial Pilot

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 86 Verified rep I'm A Commercial Pilot, AMA

Skuxx wrote: »
    I've often wondered if flying long haul, how many days do you spend down route? If you flew Dublin to San Francisco for example, would you come back the next day assuming there was a flight that day, or would you have a few days off down route.

It really is schedule dependent. Could by anything from less than 1 to up to 5 days, or you will travel to another place to fly back from there instead. All about keeping costs down where possible!

Alicano wrote: »
    Q: How do you know if a pilot is at a party?
    A: They'll tell you! :D

Do you have box sets of those flying programmes like Flying wild Alaska? Mad landing strips in crazy weather? Ever landed into Madeira, Salzburg, Gibraltar, Bhutan or the likes? Would Pilots love that or try to swap off that flight?
    Great AMA and thank you.

I’ve spent many hours in the simulator flying into a lot of those places but alas never got to operate into them. A lot of them require special training and authorisation to be allowed to go there, so there can sometimes be only a small number qualified...unlikely to get a swap then!

Kencollins wrote: »
    Whats your favorite waypoint?

I have the humor of an 8 year old and still giggle when I hear someone getting DCT DIKAS :D

The best sequence of waypoints I ever found were a couple off the coast of France, NAKID ANNET. Make of that what you will!

You say you have flown both Airbus and Boeing planes. How much of a difference is there between the joystick controls on the Airbus and the yoke on the Boeing. Which do you prefer? Do you find flying the Airbus more awkward if you are in the seat opposing your preferred hand for control?

How often do you get briefed about updates made to the aircraft - such as engine software updates, flight control updates etc. Do you get asked about potential modifications or does that just get answered by a senior pilot who does less flying than you guys?

Do you ever watch anything like Air Crash Investigation and think 'I handled something similar without making that balls up' or 'Sh!t, I think I'd have f**ked that one up too'?

What is you thoughts on the the crash of AF447 where as perfectly serviceable aircraft was crashed by a pilot induced stall after a series of mistakes?

1. So in both cases you have the chance that you will be handling the aircraft with your non-dominant hand and the other on the thrust levers. The physical action of manipulating the controls really isn’t that difficult to get used to, going from the Airbus flight control logic to another type that’s different can take a bit more time.

2. Unless it has an operational impact, it’s unlikely. We will not get asked about potential mods, the airlines like to leave that to the manufacturers. Mainly because the airline doesn’t want to be sued in the case of an accident when they can point the blame at someone else.

3. Any self respecting individual (in my own opinion) who watches anything like that or reads up on a particular accident or incident and thinks it could never happen to them is taking the wrong view. We could get blindsided by something hat has never happened before. As far as AF447, it was a tragedy, it probably could have been avoided. I would counter (and this is an unfortunate fact) that a lot of accidents involve perfectly serviceable aircraft, so does that make AF447 all that different? I don’t like that fact either....

faceman wrote: »
    If airplanes were the equivalent of sexual attraction, would the 747 be the sexiest plane in town?

:pac: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

Doesn’t Concorde get a look in? :)

• Advertisement

diomed wrote: »
    I see you say airplane. I was told aircraft.
    Ever have a punch-up in the cabin over something as important as that?

Knot vs Knots
    Final vs Finals
    Flap vs Flaps

The rows are endless.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alerium

Have you ever had to abort a landing feet of the ground? That's my worst nightmare in flying. Is this when the engines use their maximum power? What sort of top speed can a 737 or A320 reach? When cruising in the year, what % of total power do the engines operate?

Great AMA, thanks.

Blazer wrote: »
    What military plane would you love to fly? Or did fly ever?
    I was always mad to become a fighter pilot in my younger days and have researched what I needed to do etc but then my eyesight started going so that was the end of that dream.
    The F14 and the SR71 were the planes I fell in love with and nowadays its the Raptor.

I would have really loved to fly a Buccaneer. Their low level stuff clearly was highly skilled and I can only imagine a whole lot of fun. Or maybe the F-117....got me thinking now...

Alerium wrote: »
    Have you ever had to abort a landing feet of the ground? That's my worst nightmare in flying. Is this when the engines use their maximum power? What sort of top speed can a 737 or A320 reach? When cruising in the year, what % of total power do the engines operate?

Great AMA, thanks.

Never that close in an airliner, but it is something that we train for and we are ready for. It’s not an aggressive manoeuvre, in fact you could well be surprised at how gentle it seems compared to how you might imagine it. Maximum power is always available, some aircraft/airplanes :P are clever enough to set the power to achieve a particular climb rate with full power always being available should you want it.

Top speed of 737/320 is pretty similar 340/350kt up to about mach .82 or so (I’m sure someone will have the exact figures to hand!)

In cruise, well, it’s highly dependent. This is a complex topic but the max available thrust in cruise is a different beast to the max thrust capability of the engine. I would say in and around 85% but I’m sure there are engineers and others yelling right now who have better answers. It is a whole topic in of itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Have you a favourite and/or least favourite approach out all the countries you have flown too? I don't know if you are familiar with the Cours Saleya approach into NCE, but I'm always amazed at how the larger aircraft such as the A380 can turn so late onto finals with so little time to get things lined up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Hi whats the general salary range in Ireland for FOs and Captains? Is there much difference between the airlines?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

Thanks for taking on the AMA,very interesting topic.
    I have a few questions if you dont mind?
    1. How does the daily routine of short haul flyng look like?How many hours typically would it involve and is it a 5day working week or not?would you even get a few hours to yourself to have a break or is it 25 min turnaround and off you go again?
    2.do you work with same co-pilots often or is it all done randomly?
    3.Do medium to long haul flights ever become boring or is there too much to do to get bored?

Sorry if that is too many questions,I understand if you dont want to answer all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭b318isp

Thanks for the answers so far, excellent responses.

My question is: How much detailed technical knowledge of the aircraft systems have you?

Given you need to be able to fault find while in the air, and you have a type rating, I've wondered do what level of detail of mechanical and electrical competency is needed.

howyanow wrote: »
    Thanks for taking on the AMA,very interesting topic.
    I have a few questions if you dont mind?
    1. How does the daily routine of short haul flyng look like?How many hours typically would it involve and is it a 5day working week or not?would you even get a few hours to yourself to have a break or is it 25 min turnaround and off you go again?
    2.do you work with same co-pilots often or is it all done randomly?
    3.Do medium to long haul flights ever become boring or is there too much to do to get bored?

Sorry if that is too many questions,I understand if you dont want to answer all.

1. It could be anywhere from a 5 hour day to a 12 hour day depending on the combination of flights that are put together. It would be very unusual indeed to have hours between flights on a given day, long turnarounds will really come down to particular schedule requirements or airport slot restrictions, e.g. Heathrow where I understand it tends to be a bit longer than the minimum. Quite a few times you will have litle or no chance to "get a break" as such so doing the walkaround to stretch your legs and get some fresh air could be your only "break"..

2. No, it is all done randomly but if you are in a small base obviously you will end up working with the same people quite ofren. Similarly, some people prefer to work early flights or late flights and you may or may not see some crew for months on end!

3. I don't think it is boring; there is usually something to do...or something to distract you. It is not usual for there actually to be nothing going on for hours on end, the trick is keeping yourself alert by doing something. For example, radio call, call from the cabin, update the flight plan, check and update the weather, do a crossword, read something, systems check, have a look over the plates for enroute alternates or the destination, spy other traffic out the window, look at the geography beneath, talk about endless other topics with whoever is beside you, lots to do to keep the brain occupied..!

b318isp wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers so far, excellent responses.

My question is: How much detailed technical knowledge of the aircraft systems have you?

Given you need to be able to fault find while in the air, and you have a type rating, I've wondered do what level of detail of mechanical and electrical competency is needed.

So we don't have the same detailed knowledge as the engineering staff but nor are we required to as we don't undertake repairs etc but we have to have good understanding of how the systems are designed, work and interact with each other. We are tested every year on our knowledge as part of our licence requirements.

A lot of the newer aircraft constantly monitor themselves and will display to the crew a system schematic showing where a fault is, but it is up to you to interpret what you are being shown and understand that it is correct - and then take the correct course of action.

Older aircraft will alert you to a fault existing but not have the capability to display what it actually is, then it is up to you to diagnose the effect that it is having on your aircraft to determine what exactly is going on. It might sound different but it effectively is the same process.

Clearly to be able to comprehend and understand and take in all of the information you have to be able to understand how all aircraft systems work e.g. hydraulics, electrical etc. but we are not poring over circuit diagrams or detailed schematics. The basic theory remains the same so you can apply that knowledge to the next type you fly. I wouldn't say it highly advanced but there is a large volume of information. And then you have all the operational and legal stuff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭b318isp

Thanks for that. A few more for ya:

1. I get the impression that there are checklists for everything - including all the various potential systems faults/failures. Are there really that many (I could imagine there being so many that they would be hard to find in a hurry), are there a critical few?

2. Are airspace Classes so complex in reality? I struggle to get my head around them!

3. I know of redundancy in aircraft, but do you know if there is the same degree in ATC? Are there single points of failure in ATC hardware/software that could cause a failure of communications and flight guidance? I'm aware of protocols about following your last assigned instructions or flight plan if there is NORAD, but what would happen if ATC failed in a highly vectored environment, say around London?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alerium

A lot of the newer aircraft constantly monitor themselves and will display to the crew a system schematic showing where a fault is, but it is up to you to interpret what you are being shown and understand that it is correct - and then take the correct course of action.

On a normal flight, if there was a fault, what type of fault is it usually? When, if ever, was the last time there was a fault and what was it? I assume the plane can fly with certain faults, just like a car can keep driving if the engine light comes on, what is the most serious fault you have encountered where it was necessary to land as soon as possible?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

Thanks for doing this! So interesting.

I’m ok on flights as long as there’s no turbulence. However once we hit those more severe bumps I’m talking full blown panic attack. It has happened to me 3 times even though I’m told they are rare. I’m not talking little pothole style bumps, I’m talking being thrown around in your seat.

So my question is, on each of these 3 flights one of the pilots looked very young, about 18/19 years of age. No exaggeration. And the other pilot looked quite a bit older, 50s maybe. Coincidence perhaps but I’m wondering is there a chance these were ‘training’ flights? The more seasoned pilot letting the young lad ‘have a go’? If so, is there any way of knowing when they are happening and avoiding them? Do they tend to happen on the very short flights for example Dublin to Manchester?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Thank you very much for this AMA, it is both interesting and helpful!! I am one of those people that has missed flights due to a paralysing fear of getting on a plane. I think my issue was simply my own career is quite mysterious to people, unexpected problems arise that are managed and most of the time people are none the wiser and I saw flying a bit similar in that if there was something wrong we might never know (or want to know). I got over my fear but can still be nervous and this has actually helped.

I have a couple of questions. Do you fly routes with 1st class and hence have you met famous people. Nice, ignorant, high maintenance or down to earth in your experience?

With so many accents and language issues how do pilots get or ensure they have the correct info from ATC, I know this isnt so much an issue for you but for non native english speaking pilots?

Whats the best(or worst) story you have heard told that just couldnt be true in relation to flying.

b318isp wrote: »
    Thanks for that. A few more for ya:

1. I get the impression that there are checklists for everything - including all the various potential systems faults/failures. Are there really that many (I could imagine there being so many that they would be hard to find in a hurry), are there a critical few?

2. Are airspace Classes so complex in reality? I struggle to get my head around them!

3. I know of redundancy in aircraft, but do you know if there is the same degree in ATC? Are there single points of failure in ATC hardware/software that could cause a failure of communications and flight guidance? I'm aware of protocols about following your last assigned instructions or flight plan if there is NORAD, but what would happen if ATC failed in a highly vectored environment, say around London?

1. Yes there a quite a lot, however depending on your aircraft type, you will have the most critical ones committed to memory to be able to take initial actions and secure the aircraft. Or in others it will display the actions to be taken. And then Mr. Boeing helpfully writes that there are situations outside the scope of all of their checklists and you use your judgement and experience to figure it out...!

2. Is it that complicated when we constantly are in controlled airspace on IFR flight plans...not really. Is it complicated when different countries use (or do not use) certain classes of airspace, well it doesn't help...

3. I'd be amazed if most, if not all, radar screens are taking information from multiple radar heads, even to allow for routine maintenance without loss of service. In that I'd be surprised that a single point of failure could cause a total loss of comms etc. However if it did happen around somewhere like London, I presume that those who would already be talking to the approach controllers would apply their contingency procedures but carry on to land as per those (aircraft would obviously be able to hear each other and you would broadcast your intentions - all perfectly legit) and those still talking to enroute centres would either be held or diverted depending on how they handled. In reality you would probably try all available comms to try and get in touch with someone, ACARS, HF, SATCOM - anything that will give you some kind of clearance.

• Advertisement

Alerium wrote: »
    On a normal flight, if there was a fault, what type of fault is it usually? When, if ever, was the last time there was a fault and what was it? I assume the plane can fly with certain faults, just like a car can keep driving if the engine light comes on, what is the most serious fault you have encountered where it was necessary to land as soon as possible?

Thanks

There is no "usual" fault as such, like everything in life, stuff breaks but there's no way to know what you're going to get. You may go for years without ever seeing a single thing! We have strictly defined lists of what is allowed to be unserviceable before departure which are legal requirements but that does not stop you from deciding yourself you would like it to be fixed...

...luckily in my experience I have not had a fault so serious that it required me to land as soon as possible. What you do ensure is that you always have options available should that happen though.

lemmno wrote: »
    Thanks for doing this! So interesting.

I’m ok on flights as long as there’s no turbulence. However once we hit those more severe bumps I’m talking full blown panic attack. It has happened to me 3 times even though I’m told they are rare. I’m not talking little pothole style bumps, I’m talking being thrown around in your seat.

So my question is, on each of these 3 flights one of the pilots looked very young, about 18/19 years of age. No exaggeration. And the other pilot looked quite a bit older, 50s maybe. Coincidence perhaps but I’m wondering is there a chance these were ‘training’ flights? The more seasoned pilot letting the young lad ‘have a go’? If so, is there any way of knowing when they are happening and avoiding them? Do they tend to happen on the very short flights for example Dublin to Manchester?

When the police and pilots start looking way too young to you, then you know you are starting to get on (I've done the same double-take as you more often these days :p )

So if they are training flights, most new guys are mad keen to actually fly the aircraft. As long as the weather really isn't crazy, my view is let them at it. There is no substitute for actual experience. If we have to go around for any reason, so be it but you have to make it clear that there is no pressure that we "must" land off any approach. Some airlines put pretty strict limits on co-pilots flying (like I said, they are risk-averse).

If a guy is given the opportunity to fly in challenging conditions and they go ahead and do a reasonable, or very good, or indeed terrible job it will stand in their stead (in my own opinion) - having them sit there and be told that no matter what they are not yet good enough - what does that do for confidence?

There aren't any particular routes for training; in fact you want to expose guys to as much variety of destination and weather as possible - when training is complete they have to fly the entire network anyway..!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Would you have any concerns with Spanish ATC?

When the police and pilots start looking way too young to you, then you know you are starting to get on (I've done the same double-take as you more often these days :p )

So if they are training flights, most new guys are mad keen to actually fly the aircraft. As long as the weather really isn't crazy, my view is let them at it. There is no substitute for actual experience. If we have to go around for any reason, so be it but you have to make it clear that there is no pressure that we "must" land off any approach. Some airlines put pretty strict limits on co-pilots flying (like I said, they are risk-averse).

If a guy is given the opportunity to fly in challenging conditions and they go ahead and do a reasonable, or very good, or indeed terrible job it will stand in their stead (in my own opinion) - having them sit there and be told that no matter what they are not yet good enough - what does that do for confidence?

There aren't any particular routes for training; in fact you want to expose guys to as much variety of destination and weather as possible - when training is complete they have to fly the entire network anyway..!

Any chance I can walk off the plane if I see that captain and co-pilot on again or once I’m on the plane is turning around really not an option? Obviously not if my bags are in the hold but when I have my bag in cabin with me? Yes this is a serious question, and yes if I saw that captain and his co-pilot again I would probably vomit with fear.

Has anything been done to Airbus controls after the Air France disaster to ensure that all pilots in the cockpit are actually aware of the buttons and levers that their co-pilots are pressing/not pressing?

faceman wrote: »
    Would you have any concerns with Spanish ATC?

I don't have any concerns about Spanish ATC; I do understand (and it could be different by now) that they certainly were under strict pressure from the government which meant no shortcuts, difficulty to achieve anything othe than your flight plan level etc but I never found myself really questioning the level of service I received from them.

lemmno wrote: »
    Any chance I can walk off the plane if I see that captain and co-pilot on again or once I’m on the plane is turning around really not an option? Obviously not if my bags are in the hold but when I have my bag in cabin with me? Yes this is a serious question, and yes if I saw that captain and his co-pilot again I would probably vomit with fear.

Has anything been done to Airbus controls after the Air France disaster to ensure that all pilots in the cockpit are actually aware of the buttons and levers that their co-pilots are pressing/not pressing?

1. So what I would say to you would be rationalise out what you feel to be the case. There is no way of knowing from a crew's appearance what their level of experience is; they are clearly qualified to be operating the aircraft you are on. The grey haired guy you saw that day once upon a time was a fresh faced young lad too, how did he get where he is today?

2. Rather than focussing on the controls (which behaved exactly as they should), the focus is on the training that pilots receive. It has been a very welcome development (what obviously is not welcome is the fact the accident happened) and is ongoing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Great AMA, thanks for sharing with us.
    How many hours have you flown?

I remember flying South to the Canaries on an early morning flight and was lucky enough to have a window seat. Anyway over the bay of Biscay I had the pleasure of seeing concorde coming towards us slightly above us, one of my favourite flying memories.
    Do you think we'll ever see commercial supersonic flights again in our lifetime? I'm in my fifties btw.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Excellent AMA. How long have you been flying professionally? Where did you train? (Europe or US?) I watched a program years ago called 'A Plane is Born (And also a chopper is born, amongst others) Have you ever been tempted to do anything like this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Nudder question:

Have you flown any aircraft with underpowered jet engines? Apparently early british jet planes suffered from this issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement