Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Commercial Pilot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Have you ever landed in Cork Airport and is it as notoriously difficult (at times) that it’s made out to be?

It’s worth it just to be in cork though isn’t it? No need to answer this q, we all know the answer is ‘yes’.

Thanks for doing this AMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Never underestimate the power of lobbyists, but I'd hope not. Be interesting to hear from our pilot on this though. Thank you to both

I hope they do! Most people don't need to be sat for the 50 minutes it takes to get to London. This would make it no different to the Luas/bus of a monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Don't fall for OLeary's bluster. He can't fill the planes that dense because they can't be evacuated quickly enough in an emergency. It's just a way of getting headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I hope they do! Most people don't need to be sat for the 50 minutes it takes to get to London. This would make it no different to the Luas/bus of a monday morning.

we may need to define 'need'!

we may need to define 'need'!

I did say "Most", not "all". O'Leary is only proposing sections of the plane be standing. The elderly, infirm, pregnant, tired, etc, can still have a seat.

Anyway, would like to hear from the pilot on this.

"Expectant stares"

• Advertisement

I did say "Most", not "all". O'Leary is only proposing sections of the plane be standing. The elderly, infirm, pregnant, tired, etc, can still have a seat.

Anyway, would like to hear from the pilot on this.

"Expectant stares"

what if 'all' passengers 'need' to sit?

what if 'all' passengers 'need' to sit?

Like a plane to lourdes?

Like a plane to lourdes?

again, we must define the term 'need' and determine whos best to do this? anyhow, it would certainly be good to hear from our pilot on this topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I saw you mention earlier that things can be tough if English isn't your first language. Is English the de facto language of air travel then? I never really thought about that before.

Is there really an increase in air rage incidents these days or are they just more reported? Have you ever had to divert because of a rowdy passenger?

• Company Representative Posts: 86 Verified rep I'm A Commercial Pilot, AMA

faceman wrote: »
    Hi Captain! A great AMA!

I’m a very frequent flyer who carries a certain level of anxiety when flying from time time. I’ve a 2 parter question!

1. Are flight crews aware that a high percentage of their passengers/customers are nervous/anxious and if so, why is the communication between cockpit and passengers so poor?

2. For example, I’d like to think I’m rationale human being who, on terra firma, understands that turbulence is not dangerous and flying is virtually 100% safe. However in the midst of flying through bad turbulence, the heart is pounding and the rosary beads are on standby! Do you think airlines could do more to accommodate anxious passengers or provide better communication during turbulence?

Cheers!

1. In my own experience, the percentage does not appear to be that high. Now having said that, I have gone out to meet passengers who, for whatever reason, could not even take the physical step from the jetbridge onto the aircraft. No amount of reassurance or information could get that person onto the aircraft. I could see it in their face that they dearly wanted to be able to do it but just couldn't. The communication thing is a fine balance; some people who have a fear don't want too much information as that increases their anxiety. There's also a lot of people who think there are way too many announcements as it is..!

On other occasions, I've had people come in to talk to me before departure. Just putting a human face to the person who is at the front can make a big difference to someone who has some anxiety. It's not always possible though...

2. If we are going through a patch of bad turbulence it is always because there is no other option available to us or it is something that wasn't forecast. We don't want to be there either! If you know that it's coming and it is going to be uncomfortable generally speaking we will say in advance; if it's not forecast there's not much point (in my opinion) of saying much more than we don't expect it to go on for too long, it wasn't forecast - being straight with people. What I can definitely say is the aircraft are most definitely capable of dealing with severe turbulence with no ill effects to the aircraft itself.

• Advertisement

diomed wrote: »
    Has an aircraft you've flown ever been grounded at another airport with a technical fault for a long time?
    If that happens do the crew and passengers go on another aircraft?
    Does someone do a lot of shouting to get it fixed?

Airplanes get grounded probably more often than is apparent; if there's a spare nearby there's not much evidence of it but down route it is becomes obvious all too quickly. Creeping delays are the worst; as the engineers troubleshoot there is no definitive timeline for a fix, everyone is hanging around (crew and passengers who just all want to get going) - eventually we can run out of legal duty hours available so it's a no-go for us. Equally the solution might be obvious but there's no spare part available where you are; you can try to be pro-active about making operational decisions sooner rather than later but it's not always easy...

You might hang around with the sick airplane until it's fixed or be sent back to base somehow to avoid further disruption to your own roster but the call is made by the operations department, we just have to be flexible. We can't be flexible on the duty hours though.

Nobody wants the airplane sitting on the ground for any more than it is supposed to so usually it's all hands on deck to get it sorted, aircraft spares will be sent as cargo (all last minute) at great cost to get an airplane going...

Eoin wrote: »
    Why are ear buds OK to wear for take-off and landing, but not over/on earphones?

On the security side of things - do you feel safer knowing that everyone's liquids are now in smaller containers? Are there any things that are still allowed that you think shouldn't be?

My kid was allowed in the cockpit a year or two ago while we were boarding. We didn't ask or anything, so I was pretty surprised. And also pretty horrified when he started pressing lots of buttons.

Every airline seems to have a different policy on the earphones situation; I can only presume a risk analysis is done to determine the policy - why it should be different for each carrier is something that is beyond me. I suspect that over-the-ear type will attenuate the amibent noise much more than the ear bud and should the PA system fail in an emergency you will hope to hear someone yelling at you to get out from the exit area, the chances of which are better using the ear bud type? Some might say it's overkill but it's erring on the side of caution?

On the security side - people with too much drink on them shouldn't be allowed on board....
    I saw you mention earlier that things can be tough if English isn't your first language. Is English the de facto language of air travel then? I never really thought about that before.

Is there really an increase in air rage incidents these days or are they just more reported? Have you ever had to divert because of a rowdy passenger?

Yep, English is the official language; doesn't stop the crews and ATC speaking to each in their native tongue e.g. French in France etc. Throw in a hundred different accents and non-native English speakers can find some exchanges challenging....

I think people are less inclined to put up with bad behaviour these days. I've never had to divert but I've had people removed before departure and had the police meet the aircraft on arrival. Nobody needs or deserves that hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Jet, I would really like to have a go in a 727...doesn't look likely these days!

I flew as a pax in the emergency exit row (extra legroom) on a Delta 727 in January 1997.:) There's my retort.

I've no questions that haven't been asked but I'd like to say this is my favourite AMA of all. :)

again, we must define the term 'need' and determine whos best to do this? anyhow, it would certainly be good to hear from our pilot on this topic

On a personal level I would hope it would never come in...

...on a more technical level I think there would be tremendous hurdles to overcome to get it approved. In the case of protecting the individual and those around them in the case of an accident I struggle to see how you could adeqautely prevent injury if standing and then compare it to someone in a seat designed to withstand force and not move or deform and who is strapped into it. Or take the case of severe turbulence how would you prevent someone being tossed around?

Airlines are risk averse; authorities even more so...

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    I flew as a pax in the emergency exit row (extra legroom) on a Delta 727 in January 1997.:) There's my retort.

I'v been a passenger on one too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Is asking for a bump a sure fire way to not get upgraded ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

This is a genuine question and one that I personally wondered. What exactly is this guy doing?

292CAA0700000578-3102312-image-a-1_1432898111156.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm enjoying this ama. As someone who cannot now get on a plane without a panic attack it's very nice to "speak to" a person behind the flights.

Do you understand why people fear flying? What would you say to a friend who is afraid. Do you secretly (or not so secretly) roll your eyes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Great AMA, thanks for all your interesting answers. I've heard the 737-800 being described as having slippery handling characteristics. What exacly might that mean? Also is there a definite winner between say A320 and 737-800 for crosswind/turbulent landings? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Seeing as you’re doing this anonymously you may answer these Q’s... ;)

Are there any European or North American Airlines that have policies or procedures that you feel may be compromising safety or security?

Are there any airlines in the western world that you wouldn’t fly with as a passenger?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Do you still enjoy the job, or is it "just a job"?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alerium

This is a genuine question and one that I personally wondered. What exactly is this guy doing?

292CAA0700000578-3102312-image-a-1_1432898111156.jpg

What do you mean what is he doing. He's sellotaping the engine so it doesn't fall off.

Question for the pilot - have you ever had to abort a landing? Is this when the airplane uses maximum power? When taking off, how much power as a % of total power approx. does the pilot use?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Speed tape. Thats what it's designed to do.

As has been said, it looks like speed tape being applied as a temporary repair for some minor damage. Probably allowed in order to get the airplane to depart to a base where full maintenance and repair is available.

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm enjoying this ama. As someone who cannot now get on a plane without a panic attack it's very nice to "speak to" a person behind the flights.

Do you understand why people fear flying? What would you say to a friend who is afraid. Do you secretly (or not so secretly) roll your eyes :D

I think I understand some of the reasons why some people fear flying. I know pilots who won't go up a ladder...

I would say to someone what is it about the flight that triggers the fear? Many people focus on exceptionally unlikely potential problems rather than the reason they are travelling in the first place. Aren't you going on holiday? Won't the sun be shining when you arrive? No worries about work while you're away? Seeing friends/family you haven't seen for a while? These are all positives you can focus on that the fact of being able to fly gives you the potential to do. Even going to the airport as a passenger can be stressful (for me too) which doesn't help. Bring your favourite book, music etc and surround yourself with stuff that does make you feel happy; it might sound a bit "airy fairy" but when I listen to my favourite music it puts me in a good mood.

Unfortunately whenever something does go wrong it makes for great media coverage which provides for lots of drama. You will read about car crashes every single day of the week but people still drive. This is not being flippant; you have to put some rationale around the fear you do have. If you continually kept asking what if? you would never get out of bed!

Understand that on board there is a crew with the same objective as you, the passenger: to get to the destination safely and on time. We are trained that if something does go wrong we have the capability to deal with it and the aircraft are designed with so much redundancy that enables us to land safely even with significant failures. Dunno if that helps!

Darwin wrote: »
    Great AMA, thanks for all your interesting answers. I've heard the 737-800 being described as having slippery handling characteristics. What exacly might that mean? Also is there a definite winner between say A320 and 737-800 for crosswind/turbulent landings? Thanks

The 737-800 has a really really modern wing with these big winglets. It really is an efficient wing that produces a lot of lift and the winglets themselves create a not-insignificant amount of lift, even at approach speeds. So on a windy day you have to be more positive with your controlling to counteract all these effects than you would have to be when flying an aircraft like a 737-400 which has a comepletely different and less modern wing. It also means that it doesn't like to slow down as quickly due to the wing design.

Im my experience I haven't found much difference between Airbus and Boeing on windy days; both have their slightly different handling characteristics but the essential technique is the same, engine cowlings are a bit closer to the ground on the 737 so that is a bit more of a consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What kind of work hours have you? Is there a maximum number of hours/day/week/year that you can do and is there a minimum number of hours to fly to keep your licence?

Do pilots generally fly from one base or area and return back to there again every day or longer?

Thanks for doing this, very interesting insights.:)

faceman wrote: »
    Seeing as you’re doing this anonymously you may answer these Q’s... ;)

Are there any European or North American Airlines that have policies or procedures that you feel may be compromising safety or security?

Are there any airlines in the western world that you wouldn’t fly with as a passenger?

I honestly don't believe that anyone is compromising security at all and in terms of safety, I don't believe anyone is doing it directly and wilfully. What I do believe is that many aviation authorities have decided that their remit does not include the working environment that the licence holders that they issue all the licences to (airlines/maintenance/ATC/pilots etc) experience. If we are to be serious about safety, authorities should be looking at all aspects of the operation to ensure that there is no room for doubt or compromise.

I'm not trying to cop out, I don't think anyone out there is unsafe but there is a great possbility to raise the bar for everyone even further than we have come.

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    Do you still enjoy the job, or is it "just a job"?

Yes I definitely still enjoy it; but just like any job, there are some days.....!!

(generally anything involving getting up when it's dark)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement