Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Presidents Club closes amid reports of sexual harassment

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Candie wrote: »
    That exactly what happened. That is what happens in these sleazy clubs and meetings with the biggest winners of capitalism.

There were no women guests. It was a men only event. Some of the men groped the waitresses, who were not dressed up to try to get men to spend money on them, but serving food. As waitresses do when they're at work.

I've italicized the pertinent points to aid your comprehension.
    I have spoken to a hostess that is exactly what they are supposed to do. Look great and get more money out of these sleazy millionaires to drink more and hence spend more money. This wasn't a restaurant meeting, this was a sleazy gathering of the wealthiest in London society with beautiful hostess. Call me shocked that millionaires with low morals did what they did in that environment. The shock just sounds a bit faux.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Watched a report tonight that described the women at the event as hostesses. Part of the job description was to dress seductively, alarm bells started ringing loudly for me right there.
    Outfit should be "skimpy black outfits with matching underwear and high heels". Think I'll pass on this opportunity. Cheers for the offer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It’s sleaze. And worse than sleaze, it’s in the name of charity.

This is a change the world needs. Long overdue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I have spoken to a hostess that is exactly what they are supposed to do. Look great and get more money out of these sleazy millionaires to drink more and hence spend more money

And get a hand up the skirt and on the arse and forced onto laps and penises flashed at you and asked if you're a prostitute by 70 year old men?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Penises should only be taken out after the sorbet at a dinner party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

I think a system which allows for such an accumulation of wealth in the hands of a small number of people is bound to lead to events like this.

The gender issue is kind of a side show really. It’s much more significant that it was a wealthy persons event than a men only event.

Bambi985 wrote: »
    And get a hand up the skirt and on the arse and forced onto laps and penises flashed at you and asked if you're a prostitute by 70 year old men?

Works both ways though??? Don't sexualize yourself and be shocked when a 70 something (ageist) gets excited?

Works both ways though??? Don't sexualize yourself and be shocked when a 70 something (ageist) gets excited?

Accepting a hostessing role for any reason or "sexualising" yourself in any way does not equal acquiescing to groping and harassment.

Accepting a hostessing role for any reason or "sexualising" yourself in any way does not equal acquiescing to groping and harassment.

Given the job description I don't think it was a massive leap. Doesn't make it right of course, but wouldn't be a massive shock all the same.
    There's equal roles at play here don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

This is exactly, and I mean exactly, like saying "she was asking for it".

• Advertisement

This is exactly, and I mean exactly, like saying "she was asking for it".

Me arse! Why?

Me arse! Why?

It very much reads like wear sexy clothes, don't be surprised when you're groped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

it sounds like a UK version of the Bohemian Grove

It very much reads like wear sexy clothes, don't be surprised when you're groped.

Call me crazy but would you even have been slightly dubious with that criteria?

Call me crazy but would you even have been slightly dubious with that criteria?

Sexual assault isn't in the job description, I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Candie wrote:
    Even though the story was about men groping waiting staff and getting their privates out during dinner at a men-only event, I knew it was the feminists fault all along.

Even when it was a few men at the event, I knew it was the feminists.

Sexual assault isn't in the job description, I'm guessing.

I'm a victim of sexual assault by a person who had a position of authority and opportunity over me. Excuse me if don't break down in tears over a (****ty as it is) a so called gentleman's club.

Regardless of the job description (which doesn't mention actual groping and molestation) sexual harassment is a criminal offence and it's not unreasonable to assume as a contracting worker you'd have a few, I dunno, human rights protected by your employer whilst on the job. Even strippers and table dancers are protected from being touched by punters, if we're going to go the route of blaming the women for their attire or signing up for a "risky" job or whatever it is you're alluding to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm a victim of sexual assault by a person who had a position of authority and opportunity over me. Excuse me if don't break down in tears over a (****ty as it is) a so called gentleman's club.

No offense, but just because this cperience of sexual assault isn't as traumatic as your personal experience, doesn't men this isn't sexual assault.

One might think that someone whom has been thought a similar experiences would be predisposed to empathise but I reality you're showing the opposite also happens. 'If their experience isn't as traumatic as mine then they're wringing about nothing'.

Looking at this objectively, ita clear to see that whacking your dick out to people is out of order

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I have spoken to a hostess that is exactly what they are supposed to do. Look great and get more money out of these sleazy millionaires to drink more and hence spend more money

What do you expect with such an event? Do people seriously not know what goes on in the real world with these people? I'd be shocked if it didn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Pepefrogok wrote: »
    Any proof of this happening? No cctv or camera phones? No eye witnesses?

Apparently a few japs eyes caught a glimpse of what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Pepefrogok wrote: »
    Any proof of this happening? No cctv or camera phones? No eye witnesses?
    Numerous eye witnesses; where did you imagine the accounts were coming from?

The story was broken by two Financial Times reporters who were present at the event. They wrote about what they themselves witnessed. Other people who were present have since come forward and spoken about what they witnessed or experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

Your Face wrote: »
    "The worst I was told by one of the hostesses was a man taking his penis out during the course of the dinner"

So this is a crime now?

The worlds gone waaaaaay too PC.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was America.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Your Face wrote: »
    "The worst I was told by one of the hostesses was a man taking his penis out during the course of the dinner"

So this is a crime now?

The worlds gone waaaaaay too PC.

Of course its a crime!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Of course its a crime!
    And not just now. It's been a crime since forever.

Did you know that if you make a contract with someone and then break it, he can sue you for damages now??!!! I tell ya, it's political correctness gone mad!!!!

Given the job description I don't think it was a massive leap. Doesn't make it right of course, but wouldn't be a massive shock all the same.
    There's equal roles at play here don't you think?

Really? Equal roles? Wealthy men and poor women struggling to make ends meet?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

They were paid £150 and £25 for a cab home after.
    They were also given drinks.

They weren't able to fully read the Non-Disclosure-Agreement they had to sign.
    They were required to constantly interact with the guests. This was enforced by a team from their employer who "who would tour the ballroom, prodding less active hostesses to interact with dinner guests".
    They were touched and propositioned throughout the night.

This would be fairly sordid in any context but at a charity event associated with the great and good of UK society and institutions it's indefensible.

I'd urge everyone to read the FT article in full. It's far from a hatchet job and gives balanced reporting that is still damning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

What do you expect with such an event? Do people seriously not know what goes on in the real world with these people? I'd be shocked if it didn't happen.

These people? Look at behaviour of drunk tourists where alcohol is cheaper and you will see it's far from limited to rich people. Especially stags have bad reputations. It's a lot more common than just rich men, it's not limited to gender or social status.

That being said single sex events are a bit pathetic, the behaviour was dreadful and hostesses should not expect to be groped just because they were wearing short skirt. My friends did it during studies and being a hostess usually meant directing people where to go in Opera or handing out stuff at trade fairs. None signed to being groped.

Yep original ft article is fairly interesting alright

https://www.ft.com/content/075d679e-0033-11e8-9650-9c0ad2d7c5b5

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

A bunch of financiers (the lads who crashed the economy), business moguls who exploit people and rob pensions (Philip Green) and a load of arsehole politicians going on the p*ss, backslapping, groping women and bidding on such classy prizes such as boob jobs to "spice up your wife." Jesus Christ like what a cesspit.

If the place was bombed from the air it would have done society a service.

Obviously there is a huge element of sexism here when your female staff are selected on the basis of looks to serve food and drink and are then subjected to all kinds of sleaze but as someone said earlier, the fact these characters are the top establishment figures shmoozing away is just as significant.

The primary disparity in society isn't men v women, it's uber rich and powerful people like these and ordinary people. And make no mistake they're p*ssing all over the rest of us.

Advertisement