Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Deal on 4G Broadband From 3

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

Does anyone know if Three allow VOIP?

I know they block it on their locked router provided with the 18 month plan on this deal; I have my own router and am considering the 30 day plan but would need VOIP.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Really, they block VoIP on supplied routers? At one point Three where heavily advertising free data when using Skype, would be strange for a total 360 on that.

I can't imaging why they would block VoIP the 30 day plan, apart from getting people to sign up to the longer one - but that's a strange incentive.

I'm going by editorsean's comment a few posts up and also by research I did a year ago when buying my router: I didn't buy from 3 as they network-lock the router and they don't have physical RJ11 port for phone line (to use VOIP).

I suppose my question is if they provide no port and remove VOIP in the menu do they go the whole hog and block VOIP on the network too.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

As far as I can tell, they only disable the router's built-in VoIP menu. Standalone VoIP hardware and softphones (e.g. CSipSimple Android App) work fine even with this router.

I reconfigured an old Vomino Grandstream adapter with my Blueface account and plugged a corded phone into it. It rings when I dial my 076 number and similarly, it rings out fine. The call sound quality seems to be fine also.

One thing I did do is disable "SIP ALG" as I've had issues with Eir's routers causing VoIP issues with this enabled. To disable it on the Huawei B525, go into the Settings menu at the top, into Security -> SIP ALG Settings on the left, clear the checkmark for "Enable SIP ALG" and click 'Apply'.

Thank you editorsean very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Genghis wrote: »
    Thank you editorsean very helpful

Always very helpful information from editorsean.
    My internet speeds jumped from average 4mb to average 60mb overnight thanks to his posts here on board s and his very helpful blog here

https://editorsean.com/articles/large-4g-plans-home-broadband-ireland/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

I don't know why people here saying about them cutting your speeds on prepay if you abuse your (all you can eat data).. change your SIM card ever 3 months or whenever.. sim cards are free.. or they cost 20euro and you get your 20 credit for the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Does anyone have a link to getting a free 3 sim so I can test speeds or do I actually have to get 20 credit to get a sim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Does anyone have a link to getting a free 3 sim so I can test speeds or do I actually have to get 20 credit to get a sim

You need credit to check the speed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Sign up for the 29 euro deal online. You get 14 days to test it out. You can return it no problem any time during the 14 days

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Hi all

I have just signed up.

Currently have a 30mb Digiweb metro connection which is groaning and creaking under the strain of multiple youtubers.

My idea is to use the Three Broadband 2 as a secondary network.

1 - Obvioulsy it is incredibly important to monitor usage. How easy and accurate is this on the modem? Can I bridge the Hauwei to my current router which does record usage (Google wifi)?

2 - If i can get even 10mbs at peak times I will be happy enough. Not really going to use it for HD streaming or 4K viewing but just to have a lag free connection would be very nice.

Will update you all to let you know how its going. Based Co. Louth so rural user..

Best wishes

• Advertisement

Signed up Friday , Modem/Sim delivered by Nightline at 9.30AM
    Been using it since then and so far so good ,

Hi all

1 - Obvioulsy it is incredibly important to monitor usage. How easy and accurate is this on the modem? Can I bridge the Hauwei to my current router which does record usage (Google wifi)?

Huawei have a good app that lets you manage the modem. You can set up your monthly allowance and monitor it. You can also set up warnings at certain points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Mast siteviewer from comreg will give you exact locations of masts and wheteher they are 4g enabled (LTE)

https://www.comreg.ie/industry/radio-spectrum/site-viewer/

I found the my mast is closer than I thought :) - and explains the speeds I get (50mbs off peak) from three.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

Would anyone have any insight or maybe have heard how long this deal will be offered for? When will the promotion end?

It could be a great option for us when we move house in a few months, and I'd hate to miss out on the deal (if this is a viable option for us, need to do some more research), so I'd sign up anyway - but the longer I could leave it the better......

Next day delivery. Ordered lunchtime yesterday got at 4pm today.

Currently veering between 7mbps and about 10.48mbps at 19:43 - more or less peek time.

Probably be happy enough with that. My Digiweb connection is 2.4mbps so it shows you what I usually have to deal with!

As I posted it has gone down to about 3.35mbps which is not worth the extra 30 a month if it stays like this until midnight!

Will keep you updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Thats been the case with my prepay sim for the last 2 months. Was hoping availing of this deal might help that but it probably wont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Next day delivery. Ordered lunchtime yesterday got at 4pm today.

Currently veering between 7mbps and about 10.48mbps at 19:43 - more or less peek time.

Probably be happy enough with that. My Digiweb connection is 2.4mbps so it shows you what I usually have to deal with!
    Locate the mast you are on and ensure the modem is beside / close to the window with best directional sight of the mast.

For me, if I have the modem at one side of the house, it is getting about 10mb at present. Move it to the other side and its getting 13-14mb.
    This morning at 6.30am I got 53mb!!!

I have installed the app etc,

I want to really protect myself against going over 750GB. When does the data allowance run from?

Calendar month? Date you turned it on? Is it 30 days or a calendar month?

I will contact three but for some reason my email address I signed up with will not allow me to log on to mythree.ie

Thank you

I want to really protect myself against going over 750GB. When does the data allowance run from?

I will contact three but for some reason my email address I signed up with will not allow me to log on to mythree.ie

Thank you

If you check the SMS section on the Modem you will see your MyThree Password , It registered for me on the 2nd attempt

• Advertisement

As I posted it has gone down to about 3.35mbps which is not worth the extra 30 a month if it stays like this until midnight!

Will keep you updated

Forget about the speed tests , I had Vodafone 4G 150 gb and had endless problems , With Vodafone IPTV/SKY Go would just not work in the evening even though a speed test would give me 20/30mb ,Now with 3 on 750gb Last night we had 2 x Netflix SD + 1 x IPTV SD all working fine yet a speed test was only showing 4/5mb when all streams were stopped.

If you watch the Modem once a video starts streaming you can see signal go from 4G to 4G+ , Then 10 seconds after the stream is stopped you can see the signal revert back to 4G

BTW at 6.30 AM I was getting speeds of 35/40 mb

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Mast siteviewer from comreg will give you exact locations of masts and wheteher they are 4g enabled (LTE)

https://www.comreg.ie/industry/radio-spectrum/site-viewer/

I found the my mast is closer than I thought :) - and explains the speeds I get (50mbs off peak) from three.

This line-of-site plotter on Scadacore will let you check your visibilty of the masts shown on Comreg Siteviewer.

Remember to enter realistic antenna heights for both your end and the 4G mast (typically 10m). It's obviously not going to tell you if there are any trees in the way!

440265.png

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

TimHorton wrote: »
    Forget about the speed tests , I had Vodafone 4G 150 gb and had endless problems , With Vodafone IPTV/SKY Go would just not work in the evening even though a speed test would give me 20/30mb ,Now with 3 on 750gb Last night we had 2 x Netflix SD + 1 x IPTV SD all working fine yet a speed test was only showing 4/5mb when all streams were stopped.

If you watch the Modem once a video starts streaming you can see signal go from 4G to 4G+ , Then 10 seconds after the stream is stopped you can see the signal revert back to 4G

Beginning to agree with you on the validity of the speedtests.
    Amongst other things, it seems to depend on which server the Speedtest selects to test with. I'm finding Airwire Galway faster than Vodafone Dublin server, even though my ISP's exit point is in Dublin.

Also, as you say there is prioritisation of YouTube and perhaps Netflix streams, whereas the data dump (presumably FTP) used by Speedtest may be throttled.

Right-click on any YouTube video while its playing and select "Stats for Nerds"to see what the actual D/L speed is for that particular stream.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Thank you

Strangely enough when I check my allowance at the start of the month it said U had over 800gb available.

Advertisement