Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Deal on 4G Broadband From 3

Options
  • 24-01-2018 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

Got this earlier for the OH, she was paying the top level of 250GB per month for €69.99 from 3, now got 750GB for €29.99 from three here , sending out a new router too. Best deal around if landline can't support broadband or don't have a landline.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

They can give 750 million gb , the fact is the 4g service is useless during peak hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I have looked, the duration of the 750GB data allowance is vague..

Can someone point it out, I looked into the terms and conditions and it does seem to suggest Three can change/amend this at any time.

I am a customer of Three, but I'm quite wary of them. I get my allowance warnings about a week late, if at all. Fun..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Amalgam wrote: »
    I have looked, the duration of the 750GB data allowance is vague..

Can someone point it out, I looked into the terms and conditions and it does seem to suggest Three can change/amend this at any time.

I am a customer of Three, but I'm quite wary of them. I get my allowance warnings about a week late, if at all. Fun..

It's a 750gb allowance for use within the monthly bill cycle, what's vague about it. You are charged if you go over it.
    Don't be depending on them set up your own alerts if you think your going to go over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

It's a 750gb allowance for use within the monthly bill cycle, what's vague about it. You are charged if you go over it.
    Don't be depending on them set up your own alerts if you think your going to go over it.

You should visit the Three forum, that's not the issue with the alerts, they're broken with Three.

The lenght of the offer is 'vague'.

Thanks for your reply..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Amalgam wrote: »
    You should visit the Three forum, that's not the issue with the alerts, they're broken with Three.

The lenght of the offer is 'vague'.

Thanks for your reply..

Yes that's why I'm suggesting you set up your own alerts nothing to do with 3.

The length of the offer is the length of the term you sign up to, getting the free router on 24mts will lock your in at that price for 24mts. What's vague about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 mph_96

I was a Three 4G Broadband customer. When I joined 1st, I was getting decent download speeds in my area of say 15-20Mb per sec. After about two months, my service became a total joke with speeds regularly below 0.2Mb/s.

The same router with a different provider SIM would still deliver decent speeds.

Talking to customer service was like talking to a wall!!! As an electronic engineer, I refused to be fobbed off with the usual excuses!!!

I could not comtemplate going back to 3 as a customer, no matter what quota that they offer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

"for a promotional period"

It says the promotion is valid for customers who signed up after 15/01/2018 but there is no specification of how long that promotional period is.

The T&C do not define how much notice three needs to give if they want to end the promotion and you are locked into an 18-month contract with them.

So even if you manage to get a good network signal and do your most during offpeak, you might end up with them ending the promotion and you are back to the 30 GB standard. Good luck than fighting three to get out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

"for a promotional period"

It says the promotion is valid for customers who signed up after 15/01/2018 but there is no specification of how long that promotional period is.

The T&C do not define how much notice three needs to give if they want to end the promotion and you are locked into an 18-month contract with them.

So even if you manage to get a good network signal and do your most during offpeak, you might end up with them ending the promotion and you are back to the 30 GB standard. Good luck than fighting three to get out of contract.

Did you ask them ?

I asked in chat and have a saved transcript. 750 GB per month for length of contract if 18 months

There ya go

I just posted the question on the ask 3 forum:

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057833920

You better save the transcript because 3 is known to be better than Recdep of Minitrue when it comes to ensuring the truth is 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭as.eirinn

Maybe other providers will match or have similar upcoming promotions...hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

as.eirinn wrote: »

And slower and slow it goes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

E: But it says promotional ? And the terms and conditions don't seem to state. Can you confirm how long the 750 allowance is for
    Ridham: The 750 GB is given for a month, if you exceed the 750 Gb then you get charged as 6.15c per MB.

And the promotional period is for 18 months.
    E: And is 18 months the length of the full contract?
    Ridham: yes, it is.
    E: That is excellent
    Ridham: So you have to be with the same plan for 18 months.
    E: That's ok

as.eirinn wrote: »

Maybe the VMNO will match but as they also rely on three that will have the same issue of peak time congestion.

I can't see vodafone doing something like this, they know why they have higher prices with caps on data.

Also remember there is no EU roaming on this plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Am I missing something or how is this different to all you can eat data for twenty ?

listermint wrote: »
    Am I missing something or how is this different to all you can eat data for twenty ?

That one is for your phone to make calls and have internet on your phone.

This one is for data only that you can use in a mobile broadband router so that you can have multiple devices connected (via wifi or lan).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Great bargain once you have good service - I'm 20mb + most of the time and use the phone as a hotspot as the previous 30gb was too little.

You'll probably find the 750gb limit will continue after the 18month time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That one is for your phone to make calls and have internet on your phone.

This one is for data only that you can use in a mobile broadband router so that you can have multiple devices connected (via wifi or lan).

Erm what prevents you putting the sim inside a router.

Just saying

listermint wrote: »
    Erm what prevents you putting the sim inside a router.

Just saying

You could but it's against the T&C:
    The All You Can Eat Data Service is available for use with your Three SIM Card in your Three handset only. Tethering or use of the Three handset as, or the SIM in conjunction with, a modem is not allowed and may be disabled.

Also remember that all you can eat is a promotion that ends in April (but I'm sure they simply renew it again) and that in theory once you hit 60 GB they can restrict your data. Because all you can eat does not mean all you can eat when you get over 60 GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Firblog

TimHorton wrote: »
    They can give 750 million gb , the fact is the 4g service is useless during peak hours

Well she / kids regularly blew that 250gb allowance in less than a month with 2 on netflix and one on you tube during weekends & holidays.. so service mustn't be that bad where she lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Mr.S wrote:
    Best bet is to get a prepay sim and test out the 4G in your area before signing up.

And go as far as to stay signed up to the all you can eat data package for 20 euro a month and get yourself your very own Sim Router by Linksys for £100 on Amazon..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Mr.S wrote: »
    They’ve started to advertise a 60GB limit for that, Although don’t enforce it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they start to though, for the exact reason!

But yeah at the moment the best deal is the prepay + buy your own 4G router

They'll lose a large portion of their market share if they do put a cap on data though. They'll threaten one but I don't think it will be enforced as rigidly as other providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Mr.S wrote: »
    They’ve started to advertise a 60GB limit for that, Although don’t enforce it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they start to though, for the exact reason!

But yeah at the moment the best deal is the prepay + buy your own 4G router

I live in a broadband black spot. Mobile broadband is my only option. I use a PAYG phone sim in a router and €20 top up a month as my only broadband.

I put about 700gb a month through it. In the last year I have been slowed down twice to about 1meg (Normally get a steady 25 even during peak).

I will probably sign up to this deal though as at just €10 more expensive I have no risk of being slowed down if then start to enforce the 60gb limit. It also means that I wont have to remember to top up.

Edit - I see that you can get the same deal on sim only for the same price. Just 30 day contract. Handy if you already have a router to use.

Edit 2 - I have been on live chat with Three. It does not apply to sim only. Only applies to the 18 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Fantastic deal...thanks OP!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

For those that don't already have a router, it's pretty good value compared to buying the router and using a prepay phone SIM in it. Plus there is technical support, which they will not provide to those using a phone SIM in a router.

With prepay, one needs to top up every 28 days, so there are just over 13 top-ups per year (365 / 28 = 13.04). 18 months would require at least 20 top-ups, i.e. €20 x 20 = €400.

This 18 month contract will cost €30 x 18 + €1 sign-up admin charge = €541.

Although the 18 month contract is €141 more expensive, it includes a free Huawei B525, which costs £150 new on Amazon.

There are a few catches to watch out for. Network performance can change a lot in a few months, which can be a right pain if it happens near the start of the contract. Going over the 750GB limit can result in a large bill, which cannot happen with prepay. Their router is network locked, so no ability to pop-in another provider's SIM during downtime or network issues.

For example, there were periods where their network got so bad in my area that streamining, Skype, etc. were practically unusable after 8pm. After whatever upgrade they did around September, their network has been performing fine, but who knows how long for with the network load this plan may add. Now it's Vodafone that I mainly hear people complaining about their speed, mainly due to them lacking 4G coverage in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I signed up and picked up the router in store today. (B525)

I was pleasantly surprised to see that it comes with the two external antennas. They are big enough. I wonder if they will make a difference. I will let you know later when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

editorsean wrote: »
    For those that don't already have a router, it's pretty good value compared to buying the router and using a prepay phone SIM in it. Plus there is technical support, which they will not provide to those using a phone SIM in a router.

With prepay, one needs to top up every 28 days, so there are just over 13 top-ups per year (365 / 28 = 13.04). 18 months would require at least 20 top-ups, i.e. €20 x 20 = €400.

Although the 18 month contract is €141 more expensive, it includes a free Huawei B525, which costs £150 new on Amazon.

There are a few catches to watch out for. Network performance can change a lot in a few months, which can be a right pain if it happens near the start of the contract. Going over the 750GB limit can result in a large bill, which cannot happen with prepay. Their router is network locked, so no ability to pop-in another provider's SIM during downtime or network issues.

For example, there were periods where their network got so bad in my area that streamining, Skype, etc. were practically unusable after 8pm. After whatever upgrade they did around September, their network has been performing fine, but who knows how long for with the network load this plan may add. Now it's Vodafone that I mainly hear people complaining about their speed, mainly due to them lacking 4G coverage in this area.
    Hi EditorSean

I have a quick question as a prepay 3 user that you might be able to answear...
    If i have good 4G coverage and if i was to switch to the broadband offer, would i be using seperate 4g connection and therefor less prone to slow down during peak times. Im assuming i could use my existing modem...

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Unfortunately that is not the case, at least not like when I carried out tests a few years ago.

From my own testing with this 750GB contract SIM against a prepay phone SIM, the performance appears to be identical using the same antenna / router set up. Traffic prioritisation is also the same, where certain services such as Google/YouTube and Microsoft get higher priority.

Download test example from Heanet vs Google Drive:
    w2zCLJl.png2RkIoyw.png

For YouTube fans, check that the video resolution does not exceed 1080p. I've seen it automatically switch to 4K, which very rapidly clocks up data usage on long videos.

There are two other small benefits I've seen - The contract SIM gets a public IP address that can accept incoming connections. It also does not appear to get booted off the network intermittently like what I've seen with using a prepay phone SIM in the router. When this happens, the Internet connectivity would drop until the router was switched off for several minutes.

As another mentioned above, they supply two rabbit-ear antennas with the Huawei B525. There is no VoIP menu in the router, unlike my B593s-22, so it appears that Three removed that feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

editorsean wrote: »

But the prepay version, has one good advantage, you can buy €20 of music, movies or apps from the Google Play store, so technically:

It's a "spend €20 in the Google play store every 28 days and get unlimited broadband free offer. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

It's a "spend €20 in the Google play store every 28 days and get unlimited broadband free offer.

But the prepay version, has one good advantage, you can buy €20 of music, movies or apps from the Google Play store, so technically:

Do ya have to take the sim out every time to use it on the store ?

Advertisement