Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

£10 off £50 shop at Amazon Til 25th Jan

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Toshiba 3TB HDD, top up 50 pound get 5 pound free, plus the 10 pound off, comes to 51 pound total. Bargain!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Got it to £50.13, there are loads of 2018 Annuals for £1 to help get you all there

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Also not available on alcohol....... hic- well, it is Robbie Burns night, tonight........

It's it worked for me anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

fabsoul wrote: »
    It's it worked for me anyway

Doh- there were 2 bottles for 15 year old Glenfiddich there with my name on them....... ah well.........

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

picked up an Echo dot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks! Was able to include a pre order Blu Ray in mine

Someone convince me I don't need an echo dot..... PLEASE!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Why the absolute fcck would you pay to be spied on by marketing bots? To have your every background word aggregated to convince you to buy stuff you otherwise wouldn’t care about? They even listen to whatever tv shows you have on. People have been TESTIFIED against by this things.

How stupid do you have to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭ForestFire

picked up an Echo dot

DOT

DOT

DOT

DOT

DOT

DOT

DOT

" . "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Why the absolute fcck would you pay to be spied on by marketing bots? To have your every background word aggregated to convince you to buy stuff you otherwise wouldn’t care about? They even listen to whatever tv shows you have on. People have been TESTIFIED against by this things.

You might be going a bit far with that one. I’ve an Echo Dot and I don’t think I’m interesting enough for Amazon to collect data on me.

BTW they have a great selection of tinfoil hats you might be interested in using the discount on :)

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    You might be going a bit far with that one. I’ve an Echo Dot and I don’t think I’m interesting enough for Amazon to collect data on me.

BTW they have a great selection of tinfoil hats you might be interested in using the discount on :)

And just to add, if anyone really thinks they are using smart speakers to spy on us, then they would want to get rid of their smart phones fairly quickly too.....they have exactly the same possibilities as a smart speaker if not more:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Thanks. Just bought six.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

I have GBP 51.68 in my basket, but I'm getting "The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase." The items are all eligible for free shipping, so presumed that meant sold by Amazon, or does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

leck wrote: »
    I have GBP 51.68 in my basket, but I'm getting "The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase." The items are all eligible for free shipping, so presumed that meant sold by Amazon, or does it?

fulfilled by is not the same as sold by

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Thanks op. Topped up 50stg gift card and was given a fiver extra on the balance, so was able to spend 65 for 50 with the tenner promo. There are half decent energy saving lightbulbs (bayonet b22) sold and dispatched by Amazon for 1.99stg that helped me get it to 50.06. Cost you four or five quid bricks and mortar.

Danny2580 wrote: »
    Thanks op. Topped up 50stg gift card and was given a fiver extra on the balance, so was able to spend 65 for 50 with the tenner promo. There are half decent energy saving lightbulbs (bayonet b22) sold and dispatched by Amazon for 1.99stg that helped me get it to 50.06. Cost you four or five quid bricks and mortar.
    How did you get the extra 5. Does it need to be a top-up or just a gift card, did you have a promo code?

Kuva wrote: »
    fulfilled by is not the same as sold by
    The offending item seems to be a Powercube "Sold by Techgadget Store and Fulfilled by Amazon."

Is there an easy way to search so only items sold by Amazon come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

How did you get the extra 5. Does it need to be a top-up or just a gift card, did you have a promo code?

N if he could tell us before 11:59 that would be great! :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=11301833031

Link to the fiver for fifty top up. Do it soon, mine took 30 mins to top up - usually it's quicker. Not all ac's eligible but if you are you can use it with the bigthanks promo no problem.

Danny2580 wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=11301833031

Link to the fiver for fifty top up. Do it soon, mine took 30 mins to top up - usually it's quicker. Not all ac's eligible but if you are you can use it with the bigthanks promo no problem.
    Nah!
    I get "Thank you for your interest in Top Up.
    Unfortunately, you are not eligible for this offer."

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

The offending item seems to be a Powercube "Sold by Techgadget Store and Fulfilled by Amazon."

There should be a link on the product's page for "New and used (X) from £YY.YY", where you can check if Amazon is listed as one of the sellers. Otherwise, when searching products there is an option to filter by seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

When searching for an item, search in the particular category rather than in all departments. That will bring an option to choose the seller on the left hand side of the page. Pick Amazon.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Example of privacy difference between a phone and a Dot:

Dot is supposed to record your audio and send it to Amazon. You have agreed to it.

Phone is not. You may have legal protection.

Example of “Oh I’m not important” argument being wrong:

Every user of dot is actively recorded through speech to text, which is run through detailed analysis which may contribute to the overall loss of human privacy, diminishing rights and protections hard won by previous generations.

If you become interesting for a future reason, say your political views, then your past may be more actively examined.

Disclaimer: my comments are opinion and I claim no factual evidence for my assertions.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Vidcon

Kurtosis wrote: »
    There should be a link on the product's page for "New and used (X) from £YY.YY", where you can check if Amazon is listed as one of the sellers. Otherwise, when searching products there is an option to filter by seller.

Filter > Delivery Option > Prime Eligible

This will show all products sold by Amazon (and third party) but no products that are only sold by third parties and fulfilled by Amazon.

Example of privacy difference between a phone and a Dot:

Dot is supposed to record your audio and send it to Amazon. You have agreed to it.

Phone is not. You may have legal protection.

The GH and DOT are only permitted to record data back to their servers based on the activation of the key work (OK Google, Hey Alexa).

People are afraid they are constantly listening and sending data back to some guy with headphones on (Probably an AI computer these days).

They are not allowed to do this

If you think they will break this agreement, then they can break exactly the same agreement on your phone.

GH Extract:-
    "Is Google Home recording all of my conversations?
    No. Google Home listens in short (a few seconds) snippets for the hotword. Those snippets are deleted if the hotword is not detected, and none of that information leaves your device until the hotword is heard. When Google Home detects that you've said "Ok Google" or that you've physically long pressed the top of your Google Home device, the LEDs on top of the device light up to tell you that recording is happening, Google Home records what you say, and sends that recording (including the few-second hotword recording) to Google in order to fulfill your request. You can delete those recordings through My Activity anytime."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Vidcon wrote: »
    Filter > Delivery Option > Prime Eligible

This will show all products sold by Amazon (and third party) but no products that are only sold by third parties and fulfilled by Amazon.

Better again would be to search for your product you want making sure you select the appropriate department. Once the results come up, then you have the option of selecting the seller to be amazon and then all items shown matching the search in that department will be sold by amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ForestFire wrote: »
    The GH and DOT are only permitted to record data back to their servers based on the activation of the key work (OK Google, Hey Alexa).

People are afraid they are constantly listening and sending data back to some guy with headphones on (Probably an AI computer these days).

They are not allowed to do this

If you think they will break this agreement, then they can break exactly the same agreement on your phone.

GH Extract:-
    "Is Google Home recording all of my conversations?
    No. Google Home listens in short (a few seconds) snippets for the hotword. Those snippets are deleted if the hotword is not detected, and none of that information leaves your device until the hotword is heard. When Google Home detects that you've said "Ok Google" or that you've physically long pressed the top of your Google Home device, the LEDs on top of the device light up to tell you that recording is happening, Google Home records what you say, and sends that recording (including the few-second hotword recording) to Google in order to fulfill your request. You can delete those recordings through My Activity anytime."

they are still stupid things

• Registered Users Posts: 23,413 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone think this is going to be repeated this month?

• Advertisement
Advertisement