Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single mam to be - what financial support can I count on?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

Congrats on your pregnancy, I hope it goes very well for you.
    I would definitely be looking to get the necessary financial support from the babies father, at times I think men get away far to easily in this line. His child deserves his support so he may suck it up!
    All the very best to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Congrats! Don’t worry everything will be fine.
    Go to your local CIC and ask to speak to an information officer.
    There’s actually plenty of financial support available but you will find things a bit tighter then you were maybe used to up till now.
    Maternity Benefit is 240 but if you are parenting alone you can get OPFP at €229.50 + 1/2 rate Maternity Benefit @ €120 + FIS €100.
    So it’s not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I can't help you with the money side of things, I am from UK so wasn't entitled to maternity pay or any benefits ....

Thats something you should look back into.
    UK citizens are treated exactly the same as Irish citizens when it comes to claiming benefits in Ireland. (same applies to Irish in the UK).

There is a special agreement between UK and Ireland outside of what applies to other EU residents.

Im not sure you can claim anything retrospectively but you should look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 _dubli_girl

Catrionanic- congratulations! I do hope that everything will turn into positive for you as well. But I do know the feeling...

Mondo123 - thank you for congratulations and encouragement. It's amazing how people you don't know are supportive!
    I do agree that men get away with things. And sometimes being supportive and just decent person saves half the hassle. And funny enough not many people knows yet but I feel like I will be judged. That people will look at me like someone who let that happen... even though you need 2 people to it! Just wish all negative will pass and hope maybe I will start enjoying it a bit and be happy - just feels like such an impossible!

Splinter65- thank you so much! ...It make it sounds more positive than it was In my head! I also didn't realize CIC can help... I knew there is website etc. but in all 11 years living hear I have kerr had to enquire about social welfare etc so didn't know you can actually meet with someone there.

I will do my best to make father responsible too... does anyone know if I am does it affect social welfare payments that is reliable source vs someone who have left me once already...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Hi there...so it happened, I'm pregnant, I'm single very worried and scared of how will I manage from the financial point of view.
    I know many people would suggest alternative options rather than counting with he pregnancy but I feel I would regret it and won't forgive myself.
    I'm not Irish so also have very limited support around me.
    Can someone advise what financial support I can count on from the government? And in general how does it all work?
    Thank you

Congratulations and I hope all goes well for you and your baby . Get in touch with Vincent de Paul and don't be nervous to ask for help .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

I will do my best to make father responsible too... does anyone know if I am does it affect social welfare payments that is reliable source vs someone who have left me once already...

It's obviously better if you can both come to an agreement together but ultimately, you can pursue him via the courts and they can make a ruling that would see money deducted from his wages if he is employed or from Social Welfare if he is claim Job Seekers, etc.

Advertisement