Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Mix sued for failing to provide an interpreter...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-42776454

I can see her point...I just think obliging live acts to provide an interpreter seems like a step too far in placing onerous conditions on them.

It seems to me like they provided what she wanted for the Little Mix performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

:rolleyes: I've heard it all now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

It's music. You're deaf. It's tragic that you can't hear it (well maybe not Little mix) but you have to accept reality.

It reminds me of this:

FRANCIS: Why are you always on about women, Stan?

STAN: I want to be one.

REG: What?

STAN: I want to be a woman. From now on, I want you all to call me 'Loretta'.

REG: What?!

LORETTA: It's my right as a man.

JUDITH: Well, why do you want to be Loretta, Stan?

LORETTA: I want to have babies.

REG: You want to have babies?!

LORETTA: It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.

REG: But... you can't have babies.

LORETTA: Don't you oppress me.

REG: I'm not oppressing you, Stan. You haven't got a womb! Where's the foetus going to gestate?! You going to keep it in a box?!

LORETTA: crying

JUDITH: Here! I-- I've got an idea. Suppose you agree that he can't actually have babies, not having a womb, which is nobody's fault, not even the Romans', but that he can have the right to have babies.

FRANCIS: Good idea, Judith. We shall fight the oppressors for your right to have babies, brother. Sister. Sorry.

REG: What's the point?

FRANCIS: What?

REG: What's the point of fighting for his right to have babies when he can't have babies?!

FRANCIS: It is symbolic of our struggle against oppression.

REG: Symbolic of his struggle against reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Kalyke

It was for the support act!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

How to the girls normally enjoy little mix? Do they watch TV and someone stands beside them signing? ...it's a bit daft to expect bands to provide signers...and if this goes to court and is successful...well theatre, live comedy acts etc all have to watch out as a precedent would be set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Sounds like a right cúnt.

(It's quite possible she doesn't realise that though:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

How to the girls normally enjoy little mix? Do they watch TV and someone stands beside them signing? ...it's a bit daft to expect bands to provide signers...and if this goes to court and is successful...well theatre, live comedy acts etc all have to watch out as a precedent would be set

The kids can hear it's the mothers who were bringing them to the concert who are deaf. Most parents who have to accompany kids to concerts usually wish they were deaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

She's suing the promoter, not Little Mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Some people are bloody entitled , they think the world owes them something . And the trouble is they then get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭Patser

razorblunt wrote: »
    She's suing the promoter, not Little Mix.

Yes, and the promoter provided an interpretor for Little Mix but is being sued for not having the interpretor for the warm up acts.

As the interpretor had to be trained on the lyrics for the band, it does seem to put a lot of pressure on the promoter to also train them for lesser known warm up bands, that may change from gig to gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

What ever about Little Mix or a band with a big label/promoter behind them, what happens to the band playing whelans or some smaller music venue. How does an interpreter learn the lyrics? Live acts dont stick to the script.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

'Little Mix' PR company makes up ridiculous story about 'Little mix' so people be talking about 'Little mix' so people be finally knowing that 'Little Mix' is a pop band and not a small DJ set, bit of concrete etc

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Entitlement much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Never heard of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

buried wrote: »
    'Little Mix' PR company makes up ridiculous story about 'Little mix' so people be talking about 'Little mix' so people be finally knowing that 'Little Mix' is a pop band and not a small DJ set, bit of concrete etc

I thought we where talking about some pic n mix type company:D

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Will they now provide audio description for visually impaired? Tbh while I kinda understand where she’s coming from she wouldn’t have seen much of little mix if she was looking at the interpreter

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Queens of the Stone Age getting sued by this girl next for Songs for the deaf ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

"We consulted with her recommended agency and agreed to provide the professional interpreter of her choice for the Little Mix show.

"This included specific staging and lighting, and a set list in advance."

LHG Live also provided upgraded tickets, access to private accessible toilets and all public announcements on giant screens either side of the main stage.

Sounds to me the organizers went above and beyond to try and accommodate this lady.
    "People with sensory impairment actually want to attend musical and sporting events just as anybody else does," he says.

"The fact that you have a hearing impairment or sight loss doesn't mean that you don't want to be at the event.

"So it is important that venues and promoters recognise that the legal duties to make reasonable adjustments extend to them.

What's a reasonable adjustment though?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Finding it hard to get outraged here, despite the "PC gone mad" slant some would like to put on it.

It's not like she turned up and got annoyed that there was no interpreter; she brought her disability to the promoter's attention and asked for a reasonable accommodation to be made, and the promoter just said "no".

Imagine if a person in a wheelchair asked the promoter if they could provide a ramp to access the venue and somewhere that they could be placed to see the stage, and the promoter's response was basically, "No". This is the same thing.

While it does appear to be petty that the woman is taking legal action even after an interpreter was eventually provided for the main act, it's clear that her intention here is set a more broad precedent. By providing the interpreter and a load of goodies, the promoter sought to buy their way out of it and make her go away. The next deaf person will be told "no". And that's not right - they shouldn't have to threaten legal action just to be treated with a bit of respect.

So she's taking legal action to highlight the obligations of event promoters (for any kind of event) towards the disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The irony of this whole situation is that little mix videos are actually improved by turning the sound off.
    Much like victorian children, little mix should be seen but not heard:D

(Especially the black one, I would very much like to see more of her!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

A dip**** dancing to a song while pulling silly faces and doing sign language isn't a proper interpretation.

I'd have printed out the lyrics and sat them on the of a speaker.. maybe provide a dildo for the mum so she can truly get off on little mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

seamus wrote: »
    So she's taking legal action to highlight the obligations of event promoters (for any kind of event) towards the disabled.

Which is fair enough I guess, how far do these obligations stretch though?

wexie wrote: »
    any organisation supplying a service to the public is under a duty to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that a disabled person's experience is as close as possible to that of someone without a disability.
    "As close as possible". That sounds reasonable to me. It doesn't oblige the organisation to give them VIP treatment, just to make accommodations that can be reasonably met.

I guess in this case the argument will hinge on the effort required to source an interpreter for a music performance, and whether that effort can be considered reasonable. I mean, if it costs (say) €200 an hour for the interpreter, then that would be reasonable for a huge venue, but not some pub with 300 people in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

We're already there. I'm on the organising committee for a trad music and dance festival here in France. We wanted to put some small dance-floors in the moat of the castle, in whose grounds the festival takes place - stone walls, good for the non-amplified fiddles and accordions.

Fine, said the powers-that-be, as long as the dancefloors are wheelchair accessible. It's the law.

:eek:

The legless have 20ha and six other dancefloors that they can visit, and could park themselves on the edge of the moat and see/hear better than anyone else, but no, if they can't take their wheels down the staircase, then no-one else is going down there. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Tenigate wrote: »
    A dip**** dancing to a song while pulling silly faces and doing sign language isn't a proper interpretation.

I'd have printed out the lyrics and sat them on the of a speaker.. maybe provide a dildo for the mum so she can truly get off on little mix.

Well that escalated quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

Looking forward to the look on the interpreter's face while they do the lyrics for a Cannibal Corpse gig

• Registered Users Posts: 26,174 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

wexie wrote: »
    The obligation is to make "reasonable adjustments". What's "reasonable" in any case is going to depend on all the circumstances of the case, so it's not possible to lay down a one-size-fits-all rule. If you have an event with an audience of 4,000 paying a ticket price of 50 euros, you have a gate of 200,000 euros; you can certainly carry the costs of a sign language interpreter in that budget, so it's reasonable to expect you to provide one. It doesn't follow that if you're paying a local garage band 200 euros to perform in a pub with patrons paying no admission charge, you also have to pay for a sign language interpreter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

:rolleyes: I've heard it all now...

She didnt...:D

• Advertisement

The legless have 20ha and six other dancefloors that they can visit, and could park themselves on the edge of the moat and see/hear better than anyone else, but no, if they can't take their wheels down the staircase, then no-one else is going down there. :mad:
    It's funny that you can't even see the unjust discrimination in your own words.

"Why can't they just be happy with what they've got? Why should they be entitled to access the same things that us normals can?"

Advertisement