Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭brevity

Also, where is all the playing the victim stuff coming from? She seems to enjoy the debate as much as anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

Brian? wrote: »
    I’ll call it what it is. A journalist interviewing a man.

So you're saying journalists can't interview women?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Beta males tend to produce girls.

Go on. I’d like to hear more.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Is this another instance of the crime, speaking while male?

Saruhashi wrote: »
    So you're saying journalists can't interview women?

Don’t be facetious.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

xckjoo wrote: »
    Can you give some kind of explanation on what you found that made you form the opinion? He seemed well put together here so I'd like to see an alternative point-of-view.

His idea that "radical leftists" or "Postmodern neo-Marxists are trying to destroy society. Bit of a conspiracy theory. Most of what he says is totally rational and not controversial at all. But he does come out with the odd mad bit.

Ipso wrote: »
    Is this another instance of the crime, speaking while male?

Has anyone said a crime was committed? Genuinely curious. I know the police were called in to review comments.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

markodaly wrote: »
    Seems to be a bit of kerfuffle about this interview, mostly on how Jordan Peterson schooled Cathy Newman on almost every point and her own personal philosophy about feminism and the patriarchy. There is a 5 second WTF silence in the middle of it when she releases, that she is losing, losing badly and tries to rescue her efforts anyway but how.

Now, the news is not about the disgraceful and unprofessional way the interview was handled but about mean people on the internet acting up and being dicks.

I suppose after such a car crash, they have to change the narrative. Will 2018 be the beginning of the end of these sacred feminist myths?

Count the amount of times she says "You're saying..." followed by something that he absolutely did not say. I amazed at his ability to keep calm and composed.

20Cent wrote: »
    His idea that "radical leftists" or "Postmodern neo-Marxists are trying to destroy society. Bit of a conspiracy theory. Most of what he says is totally rational and not controversial at all. But he does come out with the odd mad bit.

Agree 100%. He had me mostly onboard until that point. His comment about “the market decides” was a bit out there as well. As if employment was a free market.

they/them/theirs

Count the amount of times she says "You're saying..." followed by something that he absolutely did not say. I amazed at his ability to keep calm and composed.

I suspect she was attempting to irk him. He handled it well.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

This goes back to the point I made earlier, that no one had addressed. This is arguing from a position of eminence not evidence. You can simply point to someone’s qualifications as a reason they’re right.

It depends on what you mean, really.

If I call a bookshop and ask them the price of Fire & Fury then I can assume that "this person works in the bookshop" is a pretty good reason why their answer will be right.

OK, if he is talking about cars and his qualification has nothing to do with cars then sure his qualification is not a reason why he is right.

If he is talking about something related to his qualifications then that's fine by me for JP or other people to use his credentials to lend credibility to his views.

Don’t be facetious.

Stop being silly then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Omackeral wrote: »
    Well he is a literal professor like...
    This goes back to the point I made earlier, that no one had addressed. This is arguing from a position of eminence not evidence. You can simply point to someone’s qualifications as a reason they’re right.

You're taking that out of context, whether it's deliberate or not. I was quoting a poster who was more or less saying anyone can be a faux intellectual if they just use stats and big words. I was making the point that Jordan Peterson isn't trying to come off as intellectual, he very much is intellectual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Go on. I’d like to hear more.

Beta males tend to have lower testosterone levels, look and act weak and produce fewer sons. It's basic evolution. A hunter gather with beta traits is fair more successful as a female than a male.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Beta males tend to have lower testerone levels, look and act weak and produce fewer sons. It's basic evolution. A hunter gather with beta traits is fair more successful as a female than a male.

People that use phrases such as beta males are generally absolute tools. Generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

As an aside, how great is it that Channel 4 did a 30 minute interview with an academic. Much more thought provoking than most news shows. Wish RTE did that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Beta males tend to have lower testerone levels, look and act weak and produce fewer sons. It's basic evolution. A hunter gather with beta traits is fair more successful as a female than a male.

And with one fell swoop you have decimated all your past and future arguments, by showing and absolute and complete lack of basic knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

She wanted him to loose it for sure. The way he flipped it back on to her just by simply staying cool is the greatest lesson I'm taking away from this scene. Never loose your cool and never give into agrression with anyone, active or passive. Keep cool, respectful, composed, look them straight in the eye and think about what you are going to say, even if it takes a few seconds. I always try to be like this but it is hard going sometimes!

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭brevity

Yea...you have no idea what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Thanks for this, never heard of this guy before but will check out his videos and books now. We need more of this. Desperately.

What a terrible terrible interviewer! Did she even ask one sensible, unloaded question? He handled the nonsense admirably.

• Advertisement

Some basic facts to back it up would be great.

Some basic facts to back it up would be great.

Monkey see monkey wants.....

Monkey see monkey wants.....

What I'd expect from an Omega man.

What I'd expect from an Omega man.

I perfer Longines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Grayditch wrote: »
    Why do bloggers on the right always have to use terms like CRUSHED and DESTROYED!!!!'???

It's a bit embarrassing.

You forgot SCHOOLED.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Agree 100%. He had me mostly onboard until that point. His comment about “the market decides” was a bit out there as well. As if employment was a free market.

I don't see a problem there. Different jobs pay differently because they have different value. A brain surgeon can be reasonably expected to earn more than a lab technician who should be on more than a cleaner.

His stuff about the left wanting to destroy society is the typical North American far right bollo*ks and probably why he's adored so much by them.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

What's testerone? A hormone that makes you good at tests? Surely geeky beta males would have more of that one :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

professore wrote: »
    You forgot SCHOOLED.

This nonsense is equally likely from the far left.

Both extremes are stupid. Utterly stupid. But I think it's a sign I'm growing old that in recent times I find it much easier to see through the shìte to the underlying point the right-leaning crowd are trying to make than what the left equivalent is saying. I'm sure posts to follow will tell me how wrong I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I'm not that bothered that Utd didn't sign him, he's not as good as Pogba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

dd972 wrote: »
    I'm not that bothered that Utd didn't sign him, he's not as good as Pogba.

Can we put "hilariously replying to a different topic" in whatever box "Yore Ma" posts were sent to?

Advertisement